Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommend me a tyre inflator

searider

Evening all,

My Michelin electric tyre inflator has died. It's the second one I've had and I'm a bit disappointed.

What alternatives are there - it needs to be tither battery powered or powered from the cig lighter.

I'm not quite ready to have a proper compressor in the garage!

Bought a Ring after a Best Buy award from an Autocar mag. group test of such devices.

I wouldn't recommend.

Takes an age to inflate even just a few PSI, and the auto cut off feature stopped working after a couple of months.

Sorry don't know if that's much help :dont know:

vlad said:
Bought a Ring after a Best Buy award from an Autocar mag. group test of such devices.

I wouldn't recommend.

Takes an age to inflate even just a few PSI, and the auto cut off feature stopped working after a couple of months.

Sorry don't know if that's much help :dont know:

Hi, yes, that's of help - negative reviews are just a good as recommendations.

The one I use is out of one of my wife's Mercedes SLK(probably standard across range) . No auto cut off but is powerful and use it now on the camper van and those tyres are inflated to 5.5 bar !
I sure you could get one from eBay etc

I bought 3 of these from Tesco, one for each car, a couple of years ago, they work well, digital pressure gauge ( not highly accurate), but no auto cut off.
I think I paid £10 each :thumbs:

6hQcc5x.jpg

I have a Michelin, the first two died quite quickly, the second of which died two weeks after purchase so was exchanged by Halfords for another. This has lasted years and is very good, auto cut off with a very accurate gauge and lighting etc.

I think it may be worth trying another? Haven't managed to find any alternatives that are better than the Michelin, though like you, I was hacked off that two had failed previously. It seems their quality control is a bit hit or miss.

vlad said:

I wouldn't recommend.

Perhaps you chose the wrong Ring? I have the Ring RAC900 and as far as I am concerned it is excellent. It is the heavy duty metal one that has to be connected to the battery terminals, is fine for everything up to truck size and is up to the job of going far over 50psi if you needed it to. It makes all of the consumer plastic things on the market seem like children's toys and is the weapon of choice with many of the track day crowd.

The only downside is that you will be spending about 70 quid for one...

I bought the Ring RA635 on amazon. Have used it once and it seems ok. Takes a while to inflate and the measurement is way off, apart from that all ok

I've used a cycle foot pump for several years - its so easy - each 'pump' adds about 1lb.

And I use it for my bicycles as well!

searider said:
Evening all,

My Michelin electric tyre inflator has died. It's the second one I've had and I'm a bit disappointed.

What alternatives are there - it needs to be tither battery powered or powered from the cig lighter.

I'm not quite ready to have a proper compressor in the garage!

What did you go for in the end?

I have a Michelin, Similar to the others, first died after a couple of months, I've had the replacement for four or five years and its been faultless. Luck of the drawer with them I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back