Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel Spacers -------------

PS1000 said:
easternjets said:
Okay mush as I hate repeating my self, here I go again.

Got a set of wheel spacers for my 997.2 Turbo from a seller on ebay. I ordered 7mm front and 15mm rear, they came with extended bolts, one set for the front and one set for the rear. I also asked the seller for locking wheel nuts and they came as well.
The 7mm do not need a lip on them as enough of the original hub still protrudes when they're fitted, the rears are hub centric. The quality is excellent, high grade aluminium and fit perfectly. I've had mine on for over a month and there's is no wobble or shake and the bolts have remained tight and secure. There are pictures on another thread, before & after.

This is a link to the seller who supplied all of the above for £160 and they turned up day after ordering. Seller was excellent, told him exactly what I wanted and that's what arrived 5* service.

Link:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHEEL-SP...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I hope this answers your question.

Just to add my own experience..the 7mm spacers without a lip do not work with Carrera Sport wheels. There is not enough of the original lip left for the wheel to centre 100% accurately and as a consequence there is a degree of wheel imbalance which can be felt through the steering. It is not a horrendous vibration but I found it unacceptable. Wheel balancing made no real difference. Many others I have spoken to experienced the same problem and had to resort to 7mm spacers with lips to give a satisfactory solution. Hope this info helps

I struggled with the combination of Carrera Sports and non-hubcentric 7mm spacers (shims?) and ultimately gave up, due to horrible wheel wobble. I then happily ran 12mm hubcentric TPIs on the front and rear. For some reason the 7mm shims also create wobble with the OZ Racing Ultraleggera's despite the different design of the wheel (where it meets the hub). The wobble is a little reduced with Porsche Motorsport wheel studs. I have had the wheels rebalanced and the car realigned annually too. All I can say is that the front end of the 997 does seem very sensitive to any imbalance at all. :dont know:

MaxA said:
PS1000 said:
easternjets said:

Got a set of wheel spacers for my 997.2 Turbo from a seller on ebay. I ordered 7mm front and 15mm rear, they came with extended bolts, one set for the front and one set for the rear. I also asked the seller for locking wheel nuts and they came as well.
The 7mm do not need a lip on them as enough of the original hub still protrudes when they're fitted, the rears are hub centric. The quality is excellent, high grade aluminium and fit perfectly. I've had mine on for over a month and there's is no wobble or shake and the bolts have remained tight and secure. There are pictures on another thread, before & after.

This is a link to the seller who supplied all of the above for £160 and they turned up day after ordering. Seller was excellent, told him exactly what I wanted and that's what arrived 5* service.

Link:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHEEL-SP...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Just to add my own experience..the 7mm spacers without a lip do not work with Carrera Sport wheels. There is not enough of the original lip left for the wheel to centre 100% accurately and as a consequence there is a degree of wheel imbalance which can be felt through the steering. It is not a horrendous vibration but I found it unacceptable. Wheel balancing made no real difference. Many others I have spoken to experienced the same problem and had to resort to 7mm spacers with lips to give a satisfactory solution. Hope this info helps

I struggled with the combination of Carrera Sports and non-hubcentric 7mm spacers (shims?) and ultimately gave up, due to horrible wheel wobble. I then happily ran 12mm hubcentric TPIs on the front and rear. For some reason the 7mm shims also create wobble with the OZ Racing Ultraleggera's despite the different design of the wheel (where it meets the hub). The wobble is a little reduced with Porsche Motorsport wheel studs. I have had the wheels rebalanced and the car realigned annually too. All I can say is that the front end of the 997 does seem very sensitive to any imbalance at all. :dont know:

What do expect running shims. you cannot center them TUT TUT !! You need the right product Hubcentric. I dont like the hubcentic 7mm spacers as there is not really enough center bore to run the on and center the wheel.

To be honest to be a good Hubcentric spacer, it should be at very least 10mm, as the centre bore lip sticks out 8.5mm, hence good luck centering your wheel on a 1.5mm chamfered lip, it will work, but will still give slight vibs on the smoothest roads.

Just to add my ten pence I bought the same 7mm front and 15mm rear spaces off of the eBay seller about 3 years ago and have been running them ever since with no issues, on a 4S with sports design wheels. I even went back to him last year for a new locking nut socket which he sold me without having to replace the all of the locking bolts as well for about £8, top seller.

easternjets said:

Cheers for the link. I've ordered some from him.

I have the Carrera S II wheels, so hopefully the non-hub centric 7mm spacers will not be an issue.

Boba, I quite agree. I just believed what I read on the internet, that the 7mm would be fine. It was most peculiar to see those odd flanges on the 911 front hubs when I first took the wheel off. The proper 12mm jobs are fine on the front.

Anyway, I've got a nice matching pair of 7mm front spacers for sale. Any offer taken. Can be useful as a paperweight. Or a pair of wind chimes. :dont know:

easternjets said:
Pictures before and after along with a picture of the spacers, I went with 7 mm front and 15 mm rear.

Look far too offset to me, plus not recommended to exceed 5mm F&R on the turbo?

What aspect of the handling are you expecting to improve by pushing the contact patch that far out from the steering axis?

RJKflyer said:
easternjets said:
Pictures before and after along with a picture of the spacers, I went with 7 mm front and 15 mm rear.

What aspect of the handling are you expecting to improve by pushing the contact patch that far out from the steering axis?

Forest Gump anyone :thumb:

RJK, does that 5mm comment also apply to a 997.1 Turbo? Reason I ask is a friend is looking at a set of wheels which we think may be equivalent to adding 19mm spacers on the standard rears :eek:

RJKflyer said:
easternjets said:

I thought the idea of fitting spacers was to take the wheel out to the same line as the arch? If so then my combination worked to the letter, although I have to admit they are literally according to a mechanic friend of mine, as far as you can 'legally' take them.
As for what your alluding to in relation to damage to the axle/bearing I have no idea about this but drivers on here have been fitting them for years and I've not seem a thread relating to 'problems with spacers'.

As for improving handling, I can feel a lot more flatness through corners, there's a lot less body/roll, in the dry this will be an improvement, in the wet probably not!

^^^^^ I guess it is the same as with many modifications, there are the Porsche sanctioned ones (which in the case of spacers seems to be 5mm all round on most wheel/model combinations) and the tried and trusted mods done by enthusiasts and/or independents. I know that with my previous 997 C4S with Carrera Sport wheels, there was no spacer option from Porsche and I could see why really, they were already pushing outwards further than other wheel types and there could be something about the design of the wheel too.

My current 997.1 GT3 is factory set for its adjustable ride height and the standard wheels are flush to the body at the top of them. Gravel rash on the arches is an occupational hazard, especially being a black car. I've had them tidied up once and tried to apply some arch guards (failed, didn't like the look of them in any case) so Im resigned to another tidy up in the future, much the same as a maybe needing a front end respray and replacement front splitter!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back