Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

As requested, a couple of pictures taken in the small window between washing the car, the rain starting again, and then driving it...

Attachments

• samsung_import_061117_241_624.jpg
    samsung_import_061117_241_624.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 7,247
  • samsung_import_061117_245_265.jpg
    samsung_import_061117_245_265.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7,247
  • samsung_import_061117_242_592.jpg
    samsung_import_061117_242_592.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7,247
and out in the countryside...

Attachments

• samsung_import_061117_254_144.jpg
    samsung_import_061117_254_144.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7,242
I'm missing one modification. I didn't quite manage to go and pick up my H&R springs, which are still sitting at AUH Motorsport in Dubai, but hopefully I can pick them up next time I'm in the area. I think the car rides a bit too high and there's too much wheel gap. The next thing is to work on the alignment and how and where to source some 997 GT3 front camber plates. It needs a little more front end bite.

Bet it is a relief to finally get it home, how is it driving a left hand drive in Australia?

Dunno, LHD is just fine in Finland.

I think you're confusing me with another guy who had a white C4S ... nice bloke, Australian who used to live in London, can't remember his user name.

Whytar if I recall correctly.

Yes, that's the right bloke. No worries...

I'm just sitting in the lounge at the independent, awaiting the installation of the DEFA engine block heater and the annual service. It's a tiny unit, wedged into the underside of the engine, between oil pan and anti roll bar, so it's not adding a lot of weight, but the cables need to be run all the way forward, so the installation requires the removal of all the flat floor and the front bumper. Now the mechanic just needs to drop the oil and coolant and replace with fresh stuff, and I'll be off. And I'll be back next year for the next major service, to include spark plugs and belt.

In the meantime, there are some really nice cars in the workshop, including a white 458, an E type, a C63 AMG, another red Ferrari with it's engine out, a gull wing Mercedes (value >1mEUR!), a big black Bentley Continental. And I'm sitting right next to a 599 (which is massive). :thumb:

I have pretty much now got to the end of my car fettling, as I have just ordered direct from Vorshlag a set of "Vorshlag Porsche 996/997 (AWD) (adjustable) Camber/Caster Plates & Perches" for $ 439 plus shipping.

I was surprised to discover that these were cheaper than the non-adjustable camber plates from Tarrett Engineering and Rennline, which added a fixed amount of camber for $ 499 (plus P&P etc.). Once they get here, I'll have them installed with the H&R springs and I'll get a realignment for a good fast road set up. I really want to improve the front end bite and turn in. It's quite pertinent now that winter is setting in as the front end does push a bit and it may not always be sensible to give it some right boot to get the car rotating on icy roads...

Given the prices of the really sexy suspension parts, things like split lower control arms, and so on, and the state of my budget/marriage, I think I'll have to stop here, and just concentrate on seat time, learning to drive better, and staying on top of ordinary maintenance, brakes and tyres.

And anyway, the other car needs some care and attention ... :grin:

Not so sure I like this time of year.

The 997 is white with two huge brown stripes (one on each side, from front wheel arch all the way to rear number plate, not quite meeting in the middle), and quite frankly, looking a little shabby. I call this peculiar hue "British Racing Brown". Stripes are a polite description, more like one massive streak with one of God's paint brushes.

So the car needs a wash.

Badly needs a wash.

As do my other car and my wife's car.

The thing is, I don't trust car washes. Certainly not ones with huge floppy brushes designed to remove the clearcoat and paint from your car in one session. Or the brushless washes which mangle your left rear wheel as they push the car through the machine. And for which you need to wait for half an hour, and then pay 25eur ... so I wash at home.

Except now there's 6 hours of 'daylight', or what passes for "daylight" with 7/8ths cloud cover in the time between sunrise and sunset. Add a Michael McIntyre laugh here. haha.

As I write this, it's still dark, but slightly less dark as full on Nordic winter night, as it's 0848 and according to the authorities, sunrise today in Helsinki is at 9:12, and sunset today is at at 15:15. Length of day is 6 h 3 min. Hmm. 3 minutes. So there isn't much time to get the car(s) washed.

At least it's only 3-4c and windy, not actually raining or snowing right now. :roll: :dont know: :sad:

C'mon Max
Let's see a pic of her in all her glory then. The Porsche.. ..not your wife of course :floor:

MaxA said:
Length of day is 6 h 3 min. Hmm. 3 minutes. So there isn't much time to get the car(s) washed.

How long does it take you to wash it?! :grin:

Rich_r said:
MaxA said:
Length of day is 6 h 3 min. Hmm. 3 minutes. So there isn't much time to get the car(s) washed.

How long does it take you to wash it?! :grin:

Not that long (!) but I do like to be able to see what I'm doing ... I've now done two including the shakedown. I like to take them for a spin to get rid of the excess water.

FZP said:
C'mon Max
Let's see a pic of her in all her glory then. The Porsche.. ..not your wife of course :floor:

Here's one from earlier. The car got grubby again...

Attachments

• samsung_import_061117_241_115.jpg
    samsung_import_061117_241_115.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 6,568
Using my 9972 as God intended.

And you can probably tell why we're rebuilding the garage.... :oops:

Attachments

• 20171222_191145_resized_211.jpg
    20171222_191145_resized_211.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 6,196
  • 20171222_191125_resized_131.jpg
    20171222_191125_resized_131.jpg