Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cut down front plate

I got someone on ebay to cut me one down to the same size as the plate holder

galahad said:
The cut down front plate should be here soon but I had a 330mm rear taken off my M5 so out that on today and am unsure I like it. What do you guys think?

Keep it short on the rear, I had the same dilemma, but a full size plate still doesn't fill the recess.

Use Velcro to attach it rather than just sticky pads as there is one job that has an access hole in rear bumper behind the plate (unsure if 996 is the same as 997 for this). If plate is too firmly stuck, the choice is either destroy the plate, or remove rear bumper. (Annoyingly I Can't remember what the job is that requires this though!)

James

Re: Short Plate

chicb said:
If your car is black, which mine is, just put in a screw using the black number plate caps that come with the lid that covers the screw head. Only you will then notice it. Alternatively paint the screw head the same colour as your car & again only you will notice it. Otherwise its the body shop route

That would massively annoy me as I'd know it's there :grin:

I've been given the number of a guy that will be able to fill them in and blow the paint in on my drive. I'll give him a shout on monday and see how much he wants to do it. I don't imagine it will be fortunes

Short Plate

Where did you get the 330mm plate from. I would like one this size with the black border around it. Cutting down a full size one means no border

Well I fitted the cut down front plate and think it looks pretty cool. 330mm with no plate holder, fitted onto the factory mounting holes for the holder.

Untitled by CJK007, on Flickr

The different shade of white on the screw cap offends my OCD a little but unsure what the alternatives are! Might try a black one.

Decided I don't like the short rear plate so will be ordering a new full size one.

Do away with the screw holes all together and use heavy duty Velcro?
Velcro'd the plates on my last two cars no problem.

JS1500 said:
Do away with the screw holes all together and use heavy duty Velcro?
Velcro'd the plates on my last two cars no problem.

I used heavy duty double sided tape from halfords on my 350z front plate. Got rid of the plinth and the plate even bent around the curve of the front bumper without any problems or coming unstuck. Felt sorry for the garage who had to swap the number plates back to the originals when I part ex`d it.

I had a full length plate on the front of my 993 that I thought looked crap.
I got rid of the plinth and simply screwed the plate directly onto the bumper via the two holes already in place for the plinth.
It looks far better imho.

The thing which bugs me about getting rid of the plinth is that it makes the number plate face down which I'm not sure about...

Tomo said:
The thing which bugs me about getting rid of the plinth is that it makes the number plate face down which I'm not sure about...

It's part of the bespoke aero package! :grin:

I had my plinth cut, shortened and rejoined for my shortie plate...

Attachments

• 911_699.jpg
    911_699.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 4,285

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back