Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

prices going down?

In my eyes classic cars are very much like property....they may fluctuate very slightly, but they will only ever go in one direction If kept in good order. If there is any slight drop it's all relative as if you were to sell to replace it the same would happen with any other model. There is no change specific to a 996.
Plus I still in strong belief that it's the good cars that drive the market. Look at this one for example....nice cond, spec, and history with sensible mileage. It sold inside a fortnight at 3.5k more than I paid for my C4S 2 months ago which is the same year, same mileage and history.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...ust-sat-nav-bose-sunroof-heated-seats/7941195

BChivs said:
In my eyes classic cars are very much like property....they may fluctuate very slightly, but they will only ever go in one direction If kept in good order. If there is any slight drop it's all relative as if you were to sell to replace it the same would happen with any other model. There is no change specific to a 996.
Plus I still in strong belief that it's the good cars that drive the market. Look at this one for example....nice cond, spec, and history with sensible mileage. It sold inside a fortnight at 3.5k more than I paid for my C4S 2 months ago which is the same year, same mileage and history.

equally there's this one, very similar, reserve not met £20600. this time last year I'm quite sure it would have met it's reserve.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-996-Carerra-4S-2004-/282712725100

I'm just using eBay as an example as it shows the price people bid to and theres less conjecture around what it sold for.

Thought I'd chime in here, prices are softening and have been doing so for the last year (certainly within the trade and especially with the classics that have boomed over the last few years) It may not be widespread yet as it's simply not in sellers and dealers best interests to admit it. There are numerous collectors and Investors offloading their stock at the moment, the wise one's will have done so 18 months ago. I think anyone that has the opinion that classics will only go up may well be in for a shock in the next year.
I work closely with classic cars and dealers, I own a 996 along with some others, not for any investment gain but for enjoying the cars for what they are and what they were designed for... driving.

What's with all the newbies saying prices are going down... :?:

Pinarello said:
BChivs said:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...ust-sat-nav-bose-sunroof-heated-seats/7941195

equally there's this one, very similar, reserve not met £20600. this time last year I'm quite sure it would have met it's reserve.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm just using eBay as an example as it shows the price people bid to and theres less conjecture around what it sold for.

eBay prices are even further from reality than anywhere else! Who in their right mind buys a used 996 from an eBay auction without viewing or any form of PPI?
When your actually buying, and chasing available cars driving hundreds of miles to view that's when you get a true feeling of values....my point is there is more rubbish out there than good....I even posted about it a few months ago. It is very very difficult to find good used cars, and when they come up trust me they don't hang about!

I have chased cars looking for a good one. I've spent far too much on borescopes and inspections. Hence the on and off nature of my looking for over 2 years, I get a bit sick of the agro that goes with it. So I am well aware of all this. I've viewed them from eBay, it's no different to any other type of classified ad. If someone chooses autotrader over eBay or pistonheads over a commission sale through a dealer, it won't change the car, it's just an advert.

Only difference here is the ability to demonstrate the actual sale price with eBay.

Having done a lot of running around and looking up, I've noticed this change. It's pretty clear to me the prices are changing, hardly any auctions ended under £17k this time last year, now there are quite a few. Just interested to see the views from others who have been keeping an eye on it.

Pinarello, £17k is, effectively, the deposit when you buy from e-Bay. There is an unknown and varying sum which follows that purchase.
The magic figure which has been floating recently is £20k for a 996 C2 either as an immediate purchase price or a combination of auction price plus necessary immediate work.
There is no doubt that generally prices are softening but if you want the best then you will have to pay the price. E Types appear to still at £250k from all the usual providers with Jaguar themselves coming in at a sightly higher figure if you want a RHD car.

I have to agree with the OP on this one. Prices from what I have been seeing over the last 6 months anyway have definitely softened and this has been on the 996 Turbo's as well.

I don't think thinks will crash back to the bottom where they were a few years ago but think they will settle somewhere between the two points (high and low) over the coming couple of years is my view.

I keep an eye on the classifieds and I think prices are finally starting to head back to being sensible. Turbos for 30-40k, C4S for 20-25k and carrera for 15-20k.

Those ultra low mileage cars continue to attract mental prices but that's fine by me. Investors can continue playing in their bubble with their collectors pieces whilst genuine cars get back into the enthusiasts hands.

The only exception is GT3 which looks to remain 60k+

Prices

Not sure what your looking to pay for a C4s Pinarello but im sure your not going to find it on ebay. Ebay is an auction site which in my view people are looking to pay cheap money for what they want & sellers CAN use these sites to off load troubled good as you bid to buy ( not every item will be troubled ) this maybe why you see a down side in the prices of the C4s because its a auction site. Im sure the good ones through dealers private sale proper history etc can hold there money any day of the week & I would say a decent C4s with history, low miles, low owners good condition can not only command good money buy also hold & resell for good money. Im new to Porsche ownership & It took months of research & looking before I found my C4s which I more than happy with, don't rush be wise with your budget. Let us know how you get on.

alfazagato said:
The magic figure which has been floating recently is £20k for a 996 C2 either as an immediate purchase price or a combination of auction price plus necessary immediate work.

A 1998 996 C2 Coupe, with 100k miles on the clock and partial service history, sold at the Silverstone NEC auction yesterday for £20,700.

Actually, most of this weekend's Silverstone NEC results for Porsches look pretty strong to me:

• 2001 Porsche 911 (996) GT2 Clubsport, £101,250
    1989 Porsche 911(930) Turbo LE, £82,125
    1989 Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 2 Coupe, £52,875
    1995 Porsche 911 (993) Carrera 2 Cabriolet Tiptronic, £39,375
    1989 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Targa, 38,813
    1993 Porsche 928 S4, £32,200
[/list]

Unless you're buying or selling the prices really don't matter.

Having said that, I think it's fairly universally agreed that 996 values bottomed out a couple of years or so back and have been climbing since. Even if they 'softened' so to speak I'd be surprised if they depreciated as fast as a newer car (Porsche or otherwise) and if kept in good order with sensible miles etc they're sure to appreciate in the longer run - say 5 years from now.

Everyone will have their own view on values and reasons for that. Maybe another interesting thought is that now some people are starting to buy 996s as speculative purchases, and/or seeking out good examples to keep (C2s/C4S/Turbos etc) they might well start changing hands less often and hence the pool of available cars for sale will get lower. Supply and demand? :thumb:

I think the Ops view of values based purely on eBay is a little unrealistic....the point I was trying to make earlier is that most car sales of a larger value will be completed outside of the auction. You do not see sale prices. I recently had my 3 series on there.....no bids, but several email offers - does that mean my 3 series tourer is worth zero as there were no bids?? Plus everyone on eBay wants something for nothing!
The true values are realised when you put your own money where your mouth is so to speak, and go out and try to buy one with a certain budget.....you soon realise that to buy a good one that budget needs to increase to a level of actual market values. I assume the reason the Op has been looking for 2 years is that his expectations of a certain price range are too high.....there will always be a slight decline over the winter and I'm sure there will be a few bargains about from now through the xmas period, but I will eat my hat if 996/997 values drop in price as much as the Op is suggesting.

I answered very briefly the other day. I was speaking purely about normalish 996s such as C2s etc. These haven't boomed so can't really drop. If a mint one was £16k-£18k in summer it may be £13k-£15k over winter.
Only a forced sale would see someone sell then rather than wait 3 months until spring.
All it takes is a sunny weekend or two for people to start thinking about a new summer toy.

As for the rest of the market the properly special rare cars are pretty safe. Carrera GTs, '73RS, etc. The buyers of those, whilst not wanting to get burned, have other places to invest etc and a car dipping a bit won't see them selling at a huge loss instantly.

The market peaked about a year ago. It's plateaued since then and the crazy days are over. The interest rate rise will have piqued people's attention and even if it's just so the BoE have somewhere to cut them to again after Brexit, an average Joe (like me) seeing their mortgage payment start to go up (I know most of us will be fixed so ok) will think carefully about spending on a
new toy that may lose a load.

I think the models that will drop/level off will be things built in quite large numbers, with average miles etc.
964/993 tips, cabs, C4s etc with 100k plus aren't rare.
996 Turbos/C4S aren't rare.

I only use those models as an example, but there are plenty more. They've been lifted by the rise of the rarer models such as GT3s, RSs etc.

996 C2/C4 haven't seen huge rises so won't see huge falls.

As ever, the people who've missed the boat and and want values to drop, make a load of noise about values dropping.
Those who've bought hoping to make a quick buck, talk things up.

The rest of us who love the cars aren't bothered. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back