Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

prices going down?

Pinarello

contentious issue ahoy...

I've been looking on and off for a couple of years for a manual 996 4s or a turbo (amongst a couple other cars). prices have no doubt been going up and if you talk to any dealer they will tell you they are still going up.

although since the summer I have noticed things heading in the other direction. just looking on eBay, buy now/classified prices are going with the trend of strong/rising values but the auction prices, where people are bidding what they're prepared to pay are heading the other direction. and a lot of classifieds have been sitting, with quite a few being reduced.

most noticeable are the lower end 4s not meeting their reserve and bidding ending around the £15k mark. also the odd reasonable standard sub £20k 997 4s here and there.

this time last year there wasn't a noticeable slow up at any point or decent <£20k 997 to be seen. I don't recall anything <£16500 either, apart from cat d type stuff or ropey tiptronics. and there were more wanted ads out there from dealers for 911s than there are now.

anyone else noticed this? I'm thinking with the interest rates ever so slightly improving it might have a bit more influence too?

Maybe slghtly biased when I say this, but I don't agree. I looked for a long time to find a decent 996 C4S.....there is a boat load of crap out there! Good cars sell, and the ones that are left sitting on the shelf usually seem good cars from first impressions, but often carry woes like poor/patchy history that cannot be rectified. They are owners over valuing their cars due to other cars on the market clearly selling for decent money.

Then there is the seasonal dip. You said you noticed cars selling for stronger money in the summer, but that will always happen.

I've not noticed it on 996 C4s... I have seen a few early high miles 997 C4s bidding up to around the 15k and not meeting the reserve
My feeling is it 2 things on the 997 time of year + they are generally not great examples for various reasons(poor history, maintenance etc) hence they are being auctioned in the first place also at auctions you get a lot of dreamers who can't afford it really and trade buyers who want to turn a profit neither of these types will pay the asking price.

Marky911 said:

+1

As for the interest thought, can't see that having any bearing whilst CC companies are still doing 2 year interest free deals.

Seasonal and good cars always sell quickly, the lemons stay on the shelf!

I'd say prices have softened.

Dealers are expecting them to sell for less and there are certainly more cars coming onto the market (3.2, 964, 993, 996, 997) with cars hanging around.

Started earlier this year and we now have the Xmas dip, a first rise in rates, Brexit looming. It'll be interesting to see if it recovers in 2018 or more cars hit the market as 'investors' get itchy feet.

But only my opinion and I have a 996 turbo so no interest in talking up or down.

I would agree with seasonal and bad ones sticking around with any other car. although thats what I'm pointing out, it hasnt been happening with these 911s and now its changing.

over 2 years+ that I have been regularly looking, there hasn't been much in the way of seasonal differences, its been pretty stable and the cheap ones sold fast.

but that doesn't seem to be happening now, prices going down from the mid summer (surely they would be staying the same or going up in summer? like they do with motorbikes) and cheap ones sitting about and having the prices lowered.

there was one on eBay for £18k+ that went down to £16500 before it sold. I don't recall seeing that this time last year or the year before.

it was buy at £16500 a few years ago and sell for a few grand more a year later.

It is about time we saw some sense on prices, they need to drop a lot. I suspect we will see turbos back at under £30k in the near future given the number of cars from PCP deals coming on to the market.

MC

GT/RS's will always do their own thing though and these will keep advancing regardless.

Prices of any decent condition 996s are all going in one direction and will stay that way until, if ever, the classic car market crashes.

My very recent search for a 996 C4S supports prices for anything decent remaining strong - I ended up going with a 2005 manual, silver / black with 54k miles for £22k, although the service history isn't quite as complete as I'd ideally have liked (2+ years between minor / major, although the mileages between were small) and it didn't have PSE, which I'd initially set out as a deal breaker. I noticed anything priced in the £20-24k bracket with similiar spec. & miles were selling whilst I dithered.

Prices are softening and have been for months, this is not exclusive to Porsche other marks have been seeing the same.

Cars do sell but you only see the asking price in the public domain and not the sale price which leads people to believe the markets are stronger than they are, particularly on forums where people have a vested interest.

Competitively priced cars will sell, but those with inflated price tags will stay on the shelf.

It's a buyers market, just ask those trying to sell

I'm looking to buy an M5 Touring at the moment, but I think I'll shelve that until early next year - the economic slow down should usefully lower prices.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back