Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

alarm advice

Guys,

I posted a while back about my key fob draining the battery quickly, which sounds like it may be a short in the fob. So, now I am reduced to using the key to lock and unlock.

My problem is that the alarm goes off every time I unlock with the key(if left locked for longer than, say, a couple of minutes).

Is there any way to stop this? theres nothing in the handbook to suggest that using the key would cause the alarm to operate differently to using the fob.

Also, does anyone know where I could get my fob tested/repaired?

thanks in advance chaps/chapettes.

Ive never seen a key fob drain a battery so im unsure thats the problem .

The fob is a transmiter and the led would light up if it was permanently sending a signal , my guess would be the case has deformed and is pushing against the switch if it was that.

Worth takeing it appart , fitting a new battery and seeing if thats happening .

If the alarm is triggering after a few mins being locked then there is a fault and a code reader should show some fault codes .

My guess would be one of the door locks is faulty as thats rather common these days .

When you lock the car does it beep ?

Locking the car with the key will as you say lock the car as normal and the alarm will only trigger if someone breaks in or it thinks someone is .. ie a fault .

Hi Demort, Sorry, maybe I was a little unclear. If I lock it with the key and then unlock it shortly afterwards, then it acts as normal. If I lock it with the key and then leave it for any length of time, then unlock it with the key, the alarm goes off.

As for the fob. the LED isn't constantly flashing, ie, as if the button is depressed through a deformed housing, or badly fitted circuit board.

If I fit a new battery, it works great for a few weeks, then stops working.

Sounds like the alarm is going in to sleep mode then your turning the key the wrong way before you unlock it. Mine does the exact same thing which I'd say is normal.

If you lock the car with the key the alarm will arm, upon returning to the car and unlocking it with the key you get something like 20 seconds to put the key into the ign and turn it to position 1 otherwise the alarm will go off. This is normal and how it's designed to behave.

I suggest getting a new key fob and having it coded to the car at a dealers or Indy (that has the ability to program it), 10 years life on these is good going.

Hope this helps a little.

Aghh ok then ..

Boreing stuff first ..

As i understand it the car is designed to be locked useing the fob , the key is more of an emergancy operation for when the fob fails .

As such when locked for less than 5 days with the key then you have 10 seconds to open the car and turn the ignition on before the alarm is triggered .

Often if the car has been locked with the fob but unlocked with the key then the passenger door wont unlock and the central locking button wont work .

To your faults .. the fob is obviously defective if its flattening its battery in a few weeks and i think you said its flatteneing the car battery .. well .. you seem to have a fault ive never herd of and i didnt think could happen ..

If the fob battery goes flat then the key MUST be sending a signal , strange as i would expect the windows to open or close the same as when you hold the lock button on the fob .. either way a new fob is required and they aint cheap :(

You could try putting a new battery in the fob and leaveing the windows half open then locking it to see if they close without you holding the button .

Now .. alarm going off if left locked for less than 5 days on locking with the key and unlocking is a seperate fault .

Really you need the fault codes read out as this should say whats at fault but im starting to think the door lock / unlock switches are faulty which from memory are in the door lock assembly so back to a door lock required .

so as a recap .. new fob and a fault code read out of the alarm system is what i would recomend atm :)

Thanks Demort. It's really annoying. I've just popped a new battery in the fob and she's working again.....but it will only be temporary.

For everyone's info, I have a quote from my local Porsche centre of £215 all-in for a new fob, blade and coding.

Thanks to all for your input and advice, I'll update if I get to the bottom of the fob problem.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back