Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

à–hlins Fitted to my 993

Thanks for the feedback Barry.

I don't mind a firm ride although I would like to keep my lumbar discs uncrushed!

I think for road use, getting the right balance (which differs from driver to driver) between ride comfort and control is the holy grail. It sounds like you're getting towards the optimal position for your needs. Keep us up to date with your thoughts. :thumbs:

So your A arms were shot then?, ball joint or bushes or both.

Looks like you've gone for original items there?, must have cost a fair bit?, I opted for exchange items from Hartech which look pretty good also.

I'm pretty sure good A arms on the rear is essential for decent handling, I guess you could make a case for the control arms too.

Trev

Hey Trev.

It was the ball joint end, they actually got through the MOT fine a few months earlier.
But when you are dealing with perfectionists, no movement is acceptable, it would have been a false economy to leave them in.
Yes, OE.

They had no Hartec left (they normally do)
Happy to get these TBH, Chris let me have them at a great price.

Thanks for the information OP, I've had my car set up by CG and it's great, but it's on Monroes that are as new. I want to remove some of the floatiness that occurs on our roads (sounds quite similar to your situation) and was considering Ohlins.

Think you've made my mind up: anyone want some as new MO33 springs and Monroes next springtime ?

Barry

Good to meet you briefly today and thanks for the chat on your suspension set up. Mind now firmly made up to go with Onlins.

Hopefully see you at a PCBG event soon. Hope you made your lunch date!!

Any update on how the car feels?

I am torn between the ohlins and either Motons or PSS10's I would ove the ohlins but they are not cheap!

Saying that the PSS10's would require new top mounts anyway so already creeping up to the Ohlins price as they come with he top mounts.

decisions time is annoying! I havnt driven in a car with either. my worry bout he ohlins was the spring rate being quite high would the car be unsettled from B road blasts which I don't want as I want to do 50% street and 50% track really.

A lot of people run the bilsteins and I know they are good but wondering if I will be missing out with not going with the Ohlins......

Any input would be great!

Donx22 said:

I am torn between the ohlins and either Motons or PSS10's I would ove the ohlins but they are not cheap!

Saying that the PSS10's would require new top mounts anyway so already creeping up to the Ohlins price as they come with he top mounts.

decisions time is annoying! I havnt driven in a car with either. my worry bout he ohlins was the spring rate being quite high would the car be unsettled from B road blasts which I don't want as I want to do 50% street and 50% track really.

A lot of people run the bilsteins and I know they are good but wondering if I will be missing out with not going with the Ohlins......

Don't think Barry is on here much any more. When I met him at PCGB run last year he was very very pleased with the results running the shocks on full soft as I recall. His enthusiasm was one of the factors in deciding to go with the Ohlins

I would advise anyone considering purchase of these units to seek advice from a forum member who has recently dealt with Ohlins re the fitment of this set. PM Colt. You may be glad you did.

Donx22 said:

i can highly recommend PSS10s on a 993, delighted with mine, have had them over a year now, but of course it's such a personal thing. i run them pretty stiff on the road (front 6, rear 9.....10 is the stiffest) and love how they feel as you get every change in road surface communicated through the chassis/steering for 'seat of your pants' feel, inspiring huge confidence, which reminds me of my previous 964 - the 993 just didn't have that when i bought it on its tired bouncy too-much-body-roll original suspension. now the car is super flat through the corners. i would say that at lower speeds (less than around 35mph) you do really feel it when the car is going over bad roads. Over that speed the feeling is smoother as you sense the suspension have been calibrated for proper driving rather than pottering about. if you're in north london/herts at all, am happy to take you out in the car.

à–hlins

Hello

Fortuitous timing, as I have been looking at them over the last two days.

I have around four thousand mile on these now and found them to be excellent, well controlled and certainly not harsh and very well made (as they should be, but for the slight issue below.) currently they are ten clicks out from full hard, and there is over 20 clicks available so set at medium damping level.

I have had some contact with Colt over the last two days as he has been fitting a set and found a clearance issue on full lock. I was unaware of this as well, hadn't noticed a thing :eek:

I certainly couldn't feel any contact, the steering hits the lock stops as it should and is not restricted by the anti roll bar.

40936556584_53812a391b_b.jpg

Colt is currently in contact with à–hlins.

They need a few MM taking off the bottom it seems.

highway said:
I would advise anyone considering purchase of these units to seek advice from a forum member who has recently dealt with Ohlins re the fitment of this set. PM Colt. You may be glad you did.

That would be me then . . .!

The kit looks and is constructed beautifully and should provide epic suspension, however, the front's have a couple of issues. . .

Colt has done sterling work here and is currently improving on the somewhat shoddy R&D that Ohlins Germany undertook in this kit's development.

I imagine that Ohlins Sweden will not be at all amused . . .

:bandit:

I've had the PSS10's on for a while, their adjustablity is very useful c/f HD's which i found a bit harsh. I've been running pretty soft but you still be hammered by the horrible roads round here. Then it has got solid subframe mounts, RS top mounts and RS bushes. They do corrode badly especially around the threads even with a good coat of Wurth clear wax (which doesn't stay clear for very long) I used Ohlins on my bikes to great effect. The spring rates as supplied with the Bilsteins are quite stiff and set on hard it's a bit like a pogo stick over speed bumps but on smooth twisties you can really press on. In winter I ran 1 front 3 rear. In summer 5 front, 7 rear but it depends on load and road surfaces.

Thanks guys that's really great input.

Its strange you say about the spring rates as I believe the Ohlins are quite a lot higher in spring rate from the info I can find aorund the net but you cna never be sure whats right.
I would love to have a set but i think with all the other bits on the car I need to do i'l probably be going PSS10's considering the price.

the question now is do i go with the rennline adjustable topmount setup or brand new standard mounts !?

I like the fact the Bilsteins are still quite compliant for UK roads and B road which is the majority of the driving i will be doing as well as some track work so i would say 95% of the time over 40+ mph. yet still ramp up the daming for the tarck (aware that obviously Ohlins can also, but PSS10's is a tried and tested route for many!)

worrying that Ohlins didn't notice this issue during development, I know there stuff to be very high quality though but not cheap!

I have just ordered RS bushes all round and also solid subframe mounts so pretty similar to yourself Endoman.

Just need to decide on top mounts i suppose. A full set of rennline's set you back about 1k from deisgn911 with some disocunt but are direct fit. I'm not sure if you can get standard RS mounts for less than that but if anyone knows how then i would defiantly be keen! I think i can get a standard set of new mounts for about 700 so it defiantly saves a few quid to go on a decat.... too many things to do

To people who did fit the Pss10's with RS mounts, did you follow the Jackals way of fitting or manufacture a topnut/spacer like in this write up.....https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/753369-rs-top-mounts-with-bilstein-pss10.html

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back