Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to me Tubi Exhaust

PS1000 said:
Be prepared for some hassle when removing the old bolts. I had all my bolts replaced 9 months ago and when I went to change the exhaust earlier this week they are completely corroded to the extent that they snapped on removal ...even with heat applied. The bolts at the top of the cat are very difficult to access and there is no way I could get them out...so it's off for some oxy acetylene to to burn them out. This time they will be replaced with A4 stainless

Let us know how you get on
I'm expecting some curry, no doubt. The third muffler bolts seem the worst. On the pdf of parts, it looks as if the bolts from the cat are fixed and aren't removable. Are you saying that were removable , but have rusted in place?

PS1000 said:
Be prepared for some hassle when removing the old bolts. I had all my bolts replaced 9 months ago and when I went to change the exhaust earlier this week they are completely corroded to the extent that they snapped on removal ...even with heat applied. The bolts at the top of the cat are very difficult to access and there is no way I could get them out...so it's off for some oxy acetylene to to burn them out. This time they will be replaced with A4 stainless

Let us know how you get on
I've just read up a little further on this. Apparently these bolts are pressed in and can be punched out. This puts my mind at rest as I now know what next steps are should they snap.

So today I was set to do the swap over. Jack and jackstands, torque wrench etc purchased. When I opened the jack stand box I was a little concerned as they were the type that can fold away.
I Started by removing the lights and the screws that hold the rear bar and lights. Start with the easy stuff right? Lights out, go to put the jack under the car and it's too tall to right under the car to the jacking point where the suspension meets the body. The cup is the right height, the main body of it rises to quickly and hits under the car. This, coupled with my lack of confidence in the jack stands has me second guessing.
So I try to remove the screws holding the rear bar on from underneath, nope too tall again. At this point I realise I'm pushing the proverbial uphill. I'm currently building a new house and I know this feeling, trying to improvise without the correct tools can cause you significantly more expense and time.
I decide to back out of it at this point as if im going to do something, it has to be spot on. I was waiting on the large jubilee clips to hold on the xpipe from the vendor as he gave me the wrong ones. They arrived today and I wouldn't be able to put the full exhaust on anyway as one of the bolts has been sheared.
I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't get done what I wanted to today but better to be in this position than a point of no return.
Now do I pay someone to get it done or do I try attacking it myself with appropriate tools.
:?:

A little update for those interested. The vendor kindly sent up the cross over pipe clamps. He stated that they may not be of use, as one of the bolts was cactus. I rang the distributor for Tubi and he didn't think that they were availble as a spate part but I left my email address so he could confirm either way.
In the mean time I've procured new jack and more sturdy looking jack stands. I've also purchased in the mean time some stainless steel hardware to replace all the rusty bolts.
Old mate from Tubi has managed to sort out new clips for me so it's all starting to line up.
Lastly I've dropped the exhaust off to be polished up again this morning in Oldham. Apparently does loads of work for Aston Martin. Whilst it's out it makes sense and would annoy me if I cut corners. I did manage to polish up the cans to a pretty good standard, it's just the hard to get to bits would cost me more in different MOP ends and polishes than to get someone to do it. Hopefully get it back for Friday.
The last thing I'll get is 2 new exhaust gaskets. I'm sure being copper they'll be fine, but don't want to be held up with a 2 pence item.

FZP said:
A little update for those interested. The vendor kindly sent up the cross over pipe clamps. He stated that they may not be of use, as one of the bolts was cactus. I rang the distributor for Tubi and he didn't think that they were availble as a spate part but I left my email address so he could confirm either way.
In the mean time I've procured new jack and more sturdy looking jack stands. I've also purchased in the mean time some stainless steel hardware to replace all the rusty bolts.
Old mate from Tubi has managed to sort out new clips for me so it's all starting to line up.
Lastly I've dropped the exhaust off to be polished up again this morning in Oldham. Apparently does loads of work for Aston Martin. Whilst it's out it makes sense and would annoy me if I cut corners. I did manage to polish up the cans to a pretty good standard, it's just the hard to get to bits would cost me more in different MOP ends and polishes than to get someone to do it. Hopefully get it back for Friday.
The last thing I'll get is 2 new exhaust gaskets. I'm sure being copper they'll be fine, but don't want to be held up with a 2 pence item.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: keep going Frank dying to know what they are like fitted and running :thumb:

I'm frothing like a rabid dog to get these on. I keep torturing myself with youtube vids of them... :sad:

https://youtu.be/RLKA59J0IqI

This is what awaits

I've just seen this and had a chuckle

Attachments

• fb_img_1509991936068_344.jpg
    fb_img_1509991936068_344.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 3,506
I collected the freshly polished exhaust from EAE Metal Polishers in Oldham. It was a bit of a trek, but the guys did exactly what I needed and the system looks brand new. Very happy with the end result.

Work has begun on the swap over if the exhaust. You can read all you want and watch every youtube you like, but those rusted bolts are one great S.O.B's. None of mine broke which would have been a blessing.
I used heat,WD40, angle grinder, reciprocating saw and a dremel to get the old bolts off. The only thing I had to buy was the dremel, all the rest I had.

The bolts on the exhaust clamps were a pain so I removed the whole system as one item with the help of Mrs P.

I've managed to mount the two side cans which was satisfying. All I need to do is remove the exhaust clamps off the old system and I can mount the cross over pipe.

Here are a couple of pics during progress. Looking forward to getting it back together and hearing it.

Attachments

• 20171111_205754_1600x1200_205.jpg
    20171111_205754_1600x1200_205.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 3,398
  • 20171111_205730_1600x1200_137.jpg
    20171111_205730_1600x1200_137.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 3,398
  • 20171111_205721_1600x1200_210.jpg
    20171111_205721_1600x1200_210.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 3,398
  • 20171108_133659_1600x1200_146.jpg
    20171108_133659_1600x1200_146.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 3,398
Well I can say, IT'S DONE!!!!!
Just come back from a test drive and have to say it sounds amazing.
My impressions

Cold Start- Maybe because it was my first start and was accustomed to the old system, but it's loud. Really loud. It's got a bark to it. Once the cats warm up and the revs drop it's no different to standard. Thank God it does get more quiet when the revs drop, otherwise i think i might have been regretting my decision

On a drive - The little throttle blip to get the car moving off the line now produces a raspy bark which I quite like. Whilst moving I can drive the car in a manner which sounds no different to standard. When you open it up it really sings. As you move through the rev range, the noise isn't overpowering, which was a concern. I drove through a local village and for the first time people turned to see what was coming. Overall I'm really happy with it. Look forward to getting out again in it. They claim 15-20bhp increase in power. I haven't looked at a graph of the comparison but it seems to have a little more shove @4-5k rpm. I'll put that down to the placebo effect.

Effort of DIY
I'm glad I did it myself. It was a rather big job, alot bigger than expected. Dealing with the rusty bolts was the hard part and knowing what I know now I'd say it's a task for a seasoned tinkerer. For a novice, it may be a step too far just down to the positioning of the rusty bolts. The job would also be made easier with access to a hoist. Working like a chinaman in a rice paddy position takes its toll. There is value in getting a shop to do it. It took 1.5 days to do the job myself and if I had to do the task again it would be down to an Indy to do

I'll try and load up of a video next weekend if the new sound for those interested.

I also added a carbon wrap inbetween the two exhaust pipes in the GTS manner. From a distance it looks good, but I'll take it to get redone properly by the pros. There is a real art to that wrapping gig, but for £10 and an hour of my time it worked out ok.

Time to chill.
Over and out!

Well done for tackling it yourself, I did with mine and I learnt a lot.

Nice garage, big and well lit, just needs some Plastic Floor down to finish it off! :)

I'm actually in the middle of a reno. The garage will be the last room finished. Still unsure as to whether to tile the floor or put down or the stuff they put on the floor at F1 Factories. The name escapes me but you get the idea.
Did you also have to battle the rusty bolts?

Ha Ha! On a 10 year old 997 turbo your lucky if there are any bolts left!!

We had this discussion the other day about the quality of Porsche bolts/clamps and nuts etc and barring putting Titanium on I think most would deteriorate badly.
I ended up doing all the nuts, the two silencer brackets (£70) and the clamps on the Gen 1 and the two clamps on the Gen 2 when I put the Sharkwerks on.
I've done all mine in Waxoyl or ACF-50 to see if they will last a bit longer and when fitting bolts coat them in CopperSlip thread lube (other lubes are available!).
I reckon if the bolts/clamps or nuts came off first go I could knock days off the work time.
Did you have to do the Lamda probes or are they on the cat's?

I did my floor with Plasfloor tiles, was about £500 for a double garage and they're the best thing, not just for insulation but cutting down the dust, plus if you work on the car you can lie on them without getting cold shock.

Attachments

• garage_floor_123.jpg
    garage_floor_123.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,304
I'll look into those tiles. They don't look too bad

They're not the thickest and the tiles are only 20 cm sq, so you need a few boxes and a bit of time with the mallet to fix them all together. Saw some at the NEC which were bigger and thicker and arguably better quality but to do a big garage probably £1500 plus.
All I was interested in was covering the floor for insulation and a dust barrier.

They're made in Birmingham and they're a good company to deal with, their template thingy is a doddle to use. Plasfloor.co.uk

Good Job Frank and nice write up, now I just need to hear them, got any buds with a vid .
:thumb: :thumb: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back