Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Analysis... To do, or not to do.. That is the question..

I get mine done, its essentially predictive maintenance.

By the time you can physically see particals in your oil filter it's to later, oil filters are incredibly crude and only catch big particulate, oil analysis picks up what you can't see.

The cost is only circa £30 and you get a break down of what's in the oil, where it comes from and whether it's acceptable. - Over time this allows you to trend wear.

It's not a new thing and is used in engineering and other industries extensively, cars I guess are seen as consumables which is why perhaps it's not a thing.

searider said:
You normally suck the oil sample out through the dipstick hole so it doesn't get contaminated.

I took mine from the oil filter housing. Unscrew the filter and tip into the sample jar in one smooth movement.

So there will be 50:50 filtered and unfiltered oil there, but shouldn't be contaminated.

I used millers http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis £25

They said the oil was fine to continue to use, however it is now long gone....

wasz said:
searider said:
You normally suck the oil sample out through the dipstick hole so it doesn't get contaminated.

I took mine from the oil filter housing. Unscrew the filter and tip into the sample jar in one smooth movement.

So there will be 50:50 filtered and unfiltered oil there, but shouldn't be contaminated.

I used millers http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis £25

They said the oil was fine to continue to use, however it is now long gone....

Yep that's what I was going to use.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back