Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres

Osh

So Mrs Osh drives a 2010 Merc ML350 and it chews tyres up at will. Up to now we've bought Continental 265/40R21 tyres as the car is fitted with AMG wheels, and we've been told that the Continental are based solely for this wheel, which I think is bo!!ocks.

So - simple question, is there anything stopping me buying the same size tyres but from a different manufacturer...?? Have to say that, if I could get them, i'd buy some Falcons as they have been brilliant on my car (thanks Alex! :thumb: )

Thoughts...??

Osh

Mercedes have MO approved tyres and Porsche N rated tyres that are the approved by the manufacturer. I always thought that it was a marketing gimmick to extract more money through scaremongering, but I'm lead to believe that there are differences in the construction/compound when it comes to approved tyres. That said, unless you're a driving god, it's highly unlikely you'd feel any difference between the approved and regular model of the same size of tyre, assuming temperatures and pressures are the same.

The only potential issue in changing to a non-approved tyre could be your Insurance...they will try any angle to avoid paying out should the worst happen.

I ran Falken 453's on a Boxster for ages and I thought they were great, so it wouldn't stop me going for a non-approved tyre in the future, providing they are available in the correct size.

Approved just means the manufacturer has tested those and approved them. Would be more help if the manufacturer did a 'non-approved' list, i.e. ones they've tested and didn't approve of.

But they're never intelligent enough to do something as radical as that.

Get the Falcons - Alex Approved :wink:

Cheers K888

Hi Alex, sadly Falcon don't make one in the size I need...

Osh

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back