Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New disk/pads

Just had a set of Sebro on mine...so far seem to have a lot more feel than what was on before.

I did mine myself with parts from Eurocarparts. I paid about £280 for all the parts and it took about 3hrs to do the lot. To be fair there's nothing complex, no special tools so if you don't fancy doing them yourself any reputable local garage should be able to do them for £200 plus the parts.

I replaced all the disks and pads myself on my Boxster about 6 months ago, I went with Borg&Beck disks, Textar pads. the reason I went with Borg&Beck is that they are coated all over ( including inside the vents/drilled holes/crossdrillings ) with their BeckTec anti-corrosion coating to stop them rusting to death in 10 minutes :thumb:

6 months later they still look like brand new, only last week the garage that was fixing my merc thought that they were only just fitted when I popped in to see them :grin:

Disks £300 for all 4, pads £150 for fronts and rears, my local friendly motor factor kindly got every type of brake pad and sensor in stock just in case we ordered the wrong ones as there are 2 types of pad/sensor combinations on the boxster, hores shoe or pin type sensors/pads :thumb:

4 hours to do the job, including a good clean and polish/wax of all calipers and wheels while I was in there :thumbs:

This is what dropped out of the SEBRO disks as I was tapping them off the hubs :nooo: and the reason I fitted Borg&Beck

Sundayjumper said:
EGTE said:
...a mega Snap-on set of spanners and sockets (£200?)...

I think you might be underestimating the cost of Snap-On gear !

Probably :D

TBH I'm not interested in Snap-on stuff; just something quality.

Just resurrecting this old threat, I'm just in the process of changing my discs and pads on my 996. I know the old caliper bolts that I took out were a hex fixing, but can someone please tell me what size torx bit I need for the new improved replacement caliper bolts?

Are they not an Allen cap head bolt?

Old ones that were taken off ( and shagged, but not literally) were a number 10 hex bolt but the new ones I have been supplied with from porsche as replacement are a 6 pointed star, looks like a large torx fitting. . but not sure of size.

The Torx bit is T55. Halfords do to options. The cheaper is about £4.50 and the Advanced option £7.50

:thumb: :thumb: many thanks

I couldn't find a a original source for the torque value fot the caliper bolts. I found 85 Nm in a rennlist forum but that seems low for the size of the bolt.The bolts I removed were very tight and required a good heave with a breaker bar to get them started. There was no sign of threadlock on the bollts but it did look like that they had been smeared with copper grease which I understood was bad practice because it lubricates the thread and alters the effective torque value. I put a single drop of thin oil on the threads before fitting the bolts.
Can anyone advise on the correct torque and whether threadlock is required?

mar1b0ro said:
Old ones that were taken off ( and shagged, but not literally) were a number 10 hex bolt but the new ones I have been supplied with from porsche as replacement are a 6 pointed star, looks like a large torx fitting. . but not sure of size.

I am about to tackle this job. Do you happen to have the part numbers for the bolts? Thanks :thumbs:

Caliper bolts are available from carparts4less. Don't know the part number,sorry.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back