Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Manual or Tip auto preference if you've had both?

pedro.x

Trainee
Im currently looking for my second 997 as I stupidly sold my first one but having trouble finding one which ticks all the boxes spec wise, having only driven a manual box c2s how does the auto compare, i thought the gearbox in the manual was amazing, so if you have had both and would like to express your personal preference and why,that would be nice :lol:

The manual box in the 997 is as sweet as a manual box can be. The Tiptronic is an excellent old style automatic with a clever manual over-ride function.

Surely which one anyone would 'prefer' is simply down to whether they actually want a manual or an automatic. :dont know:

There's plenty of both out there so no compromise is needed. If you're really not sure whether a Tiptronic would suit your needs just take a test drive in one.

Good Luck. :thumb:

Ok so Thursday night is guitar and pub lol so I've been oiled so take with a pinch of salt!!
I've owned both 996 c2 tip 997 4S manual tried 997 GEN 1 manual turbo then tried 997 GEN 1.5 tip turbo the tip turbo I loved, I know it's old tech but it's to me amazing old tech! 997 in any disguise is an amazing car get out there and try them but don't let anyone tell you the tip is no good!!

By the way I turned down the £50k manual turbo but bought the £55k tip turbo
:thumb:

I am sorry, but this should be simple as gearbox choice is a big deal.

It also depends on what you are using your car for, daily, toy, track car etc..

I always find your are either a manual man, an auto lover, or just getting to old and lazy !!

silvermilnec said:
Ok so Thursday night is guitar and pub lol so I've been oiled so take with a pinch of salt!!
I've owned both 996 c2 tip 997 4S manual tried 997 GEN 1 manual turbo then tried 997 GEN 1.5 tip turbo the tip turbo I loved, I know it's old tech but it's to me amazing old tech! 997 in any disguise is an amazing car get out there and try them but don't let anyone tell you the tip is no good!!

By the way I turned down the £50k manual turbo but bought the £55k tip turbo
:thumb:

Spot on. I had a 996tt manual and sold it for a 997tt tip. I speficially looked for a tip because I was aware that with the manual I was not able to explore the car's ability adequately. Driving a country lane with gear changes or doing a standing start *will* be faster in a tip.

Its all down to what you want and how you will use the car.
Go with what suits you best. But recognise that when you come to off-load it, there are two camps:

1. "Nice car, shame about the auto box, I'll have to factor that into the part-ex price because its difficult to shift a two-pedal car where a manual option exists"

OR

2. "Lovely car, but there are a lot more tiptronic cars than manual cars making them harder and taking longer to sell, so I'll have to consider that in the part-ex offer I'll give you".

Re:

cheshire911 said:
1. "Nice car, shame about the auto box, I'll have to factor that into the part-ex price because its difficult to shift a two-pedal car where a manual option exists"

OR

2. "Lovely car, but there are a lot more tiptronic cars than manual cars making them harder and taking longer to sell, so I'll have to consider that in the part-ex offer I'll give you".

Fortunately used Tiptronics are also considerably cheaper to buy so neither of the above scenarios should result in the buyer being out of pocket come re-sale time. :bandit:

Buy the one you like and to hell with resale

I'm a manual purist in my fun cars, but my 4x4 towtruck has a slushbox, and i can see the appeal. I dont think i would get a naturally aspirated tip or pdk, but a turbo power delivery works pretty well with auto

Ive had various of both, or should I say 'All' and here are my thoughts on the boxes ( IMHO)

997 C2S Manual - great, this really suits the car
997 Turbo Tip - good at times, probably didn't give it a chance , but it always seemed to be hunting up or down the box or holding a gear that I wouldn't have
997 Gen 1 GT3 - great, just great ......love affair started, sold it when I should really still have this one , sold for the next one ..regret this
997 Gen 2 GT3 - great, even better performer than G1 but I had hand problems at the time and talked myself out of it, sold it for the Turbo S - regret the current value V the price I sold for
997 Turbo S PDK - this one ....No regrets .... its fantastic ... does it all ....
its on 11k miles now ( almost)

Cayman GT4 manual - great , just what a manual sports car should be , this car is FAULTLESS....

Overall though . ..Manual V Tip.....its a personal choice depending on what you want once you drive them ... my choice .... Manual
( I really need to drive a Manual Turbo soon )

Manual V PDK = PDK shades it

997 Turbo S ... love it

GT4 .... love it ....

I have owned manual and TIP Porsche's and liked them both.
A paddle shift conversion transforms the TIP box when pressing on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back