Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cut down front plate

galahad

I have a 5 digit reg and usually have cut down (circa 330mm width) plates on my cars. On the 996 it'll fit fine on the rear, but on the front would look pants due to the 430mm wide plate holder. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the plate holder and just fix the plate directly onto the bumper using the plate holder screws? I'm worried it may look pants!

Yea, same as you, I have a 5 digit plate.

I have done it a few different ways.
1.Used strong trim tape (double sided, but starts to work away over time and needs redoing. (see my 996 pic)
2. Screwed the plate on without the holder -using existing holes -see my 986 pic - (not with my plate but its original)
3. Best so far has been to cut down the holder to required size (sorry dont have a pic).
4. Have it made as a sticker -like the GT3 pic (not my car)

Attachments

• 986_147.jpg
    986_147.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 8,604
  • gt3_202.jpg
    gt3_202.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 8,603
  • 996_164.jpg
    996_164.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 8,603
I have forgone the front plate entirely :D but I know that askgeez has done exactly what your asking and it looks very good indeed on his 997 GTS. Go for it :thumb:

galahad said:
I have a 5 digit reg and usually have cut down (circa 330mm width) plates on my cars. On the 996 it'll fit fine on the rear, but on the front would look pants due to the 430mm wide plate holder. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the plate holder and just fix the plate directly onto the bumper using the plate holder screws? I'm worried it may look pants!

I did this on mine looked fine actually once I had bent it to shape fitted into the bumper better than with the original black surround fitted.

My stick on plate from DMB Graphics:

Cheers, Keith

Attachments

• gt3_120616_001r1_149.jpg
    gt3_120616_001r1_149.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 8,461
+1

Stick on is the way to go

I wanted to keep proper style number plates so cut down and screwed on to keep it tight to the bumper curvature for me :thumb:

Attachments

• 20170924_185626_1684x1320_173.jpg
    20170924_185626_1684x1320_173.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 8,407
Have ordered a 330mm cut down plate so will try that and see how it looks. To use a stick on, do you need to get the mounting holes filled first?

When I decided to use a stick on plate, I was a bit annoyed at the number of holes that had been drilled for previous cherished plates.

I got a local mobile painter to do the job and it turned out much better than I had expected. It's a personal choice but I found the entire front end of the car was transformed by the smooth appearance of the stick on plate. I've never seen a solid plate that came close to improving the 996 shape.

Cheers, Keith.

I popped the front plate holder off and there's only the two factory holes behind it, but these would need filling if I wanted to go down the sticker route.

The cut down front plate should be here soon but I had a 330mm rear taken off my M5 so out that on today and am unsure I like it. What do you guys think?

Not sure the recess lends itself very well to a short plate on the rear of a 4S

406mm on my C2, recess is a bit more forgiving.

Attachments

• 20171007_114739_2304x1728_176.jpg
    20171007_114739_2304x1728_176.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8,147
im using suction cups on mine (when i run with the plate on), had the front end resprayed and holes filled.

If you didnt want to fill the holes, you could fit some screws.caps into the threads as the cups keep the plate around 10mm away from the bodywork.

If you do go down the cups route, remember to take the plate off as moisture gets trapped in the suction pocket and can damage paint work

+1 on the stick-on.

Mine's a boring 7-digit reg, I had a sticker made up at 75% of the normal size and it looks very neat. I temporarily attach a full sized plate once a year for the MOT and take it off again when I get home.

My cut down number plates arrived yesterday. Decided to leave the plinth off on the front which looks ok. However it would appear that my car has had 27 rear number plates fitted over the years with new holes drilled in the bumper each time. Annoyingly 2 holes are visible when you offer up the rear plate :frustrated:

Short Plate

If your car is black, which mine is, just put in a screw using the black number plate caps that come with the lid that covers the screw head. Only you will then notice it. Alternatively paint the screw head the same colour as your car & again only you will notice it. Otherwise its the body shop route

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back