Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo exhaust studs

veearrsix

Monza
I am potentially looking to replace the turbo to exhaust studs on a 996tt. I was looking at the titanium stud kits that one of the 911uk members has put together, however those kits appear to be for the manifolds rather than the cat to turbo studs.

I say potentially, as the studs aren't in such bad shape, its the nuts that have disintegrated. I've read that aerotight nuts are also a good substitute for the original Porsche nuts. Any comments/experience on aerotight vs k-nut? (as used in the ti stud kit)

Most of mine sheared when I swapped the exhaust last year.

Ended up drilling them out and re-tapping, perfect excuse to buy a set of HSS taps. Made up some new ones from a length of M8 stainless threaded bar I had in stock. If I remember right I bought the nuts from Porsche but i'll have to check... :?:

Thread here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1197804&highlight=#1197804

You'll find that the studs won't be rotten, as you've said its the nuts that are the weak point and they rust away to nothing. I got a very sharp old chisel and basically split the old nuts off, soaking with WD-40 along the way. Then when they were loose I used a pair of small vice grips to work the old nut off.
Some of the studs came out but all were saved and I used them all again.
Searched for Titanium nuts but in the end bought 'K' nuts off Screwfix who do a bag for a few quid.
When refitting I used plenty of copper slip/grease. I didn't think I'd ever be removing them again but you never know.
The nuts corrode pretty quickly, so you could replace after a few years for new ones, the copper slip will help here.

easternjets said:
You'll find that the studs won't be rotten, as you've said its the nuts that are the weak point and they rust away to nothing. I got a very sharp old chisel and basically split the old nuts off, soaking with WD-40 along the way. Then when they were loose I used a pair of small vice grips to work the old nut off.
Some of the studs came out but all were saved and I used them all again.
Searched for Titanium nuts but in the end bought 'K' nuts off Screwfix who do a bag for a few quid.
When refitting I used plenty of copper slip/grease. I didn't think I'd ever be removing them again but you never know.
The nuts corrode pretty quickly, so you could replace after a few years for new ones, the copper slip will help here.

This.

I then replaced with S/S aero nuts

I was referencing this post http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1171363 which has a bunch of info about the reasons for choosing the cadmium coated k-nuts over stainless etc.

I was looking for some experience/comparisons of aerotight vs k-nut, I've found some videos on youtube showing junker vibration tests showing a bunch of different locking nuts, but none for k-nut. I'm probably over thinking it to be honest.

I need to get the car back together (I was only supposed to be changing the spark plugs!), so I'd like to go with k-nut for no other reason than someone with way more knowledge than me, suggests they are the best nuts for the job.

My next challenge is finding a supplier who will sell me a handful as opposed to 100's and not rip me off for the privilege.

Try not to over think a problem that isn't there!

I bought M8 K nuts from Screwfix, they're Zinc coated and being a K nut has a knurled flange on the inside to stop the nut backing off. If you torque them up properly they will never budge.
The nuts were £2.80 inc vat, it would cost me more to post half a dozen to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back