Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Varioram Intake

Cameltoe & Heel

Folks,
my engine is on a stand at the moment and I'm doing the usual cam cover seals, cam chain cover seals, plugs, leads, dissi, diss arms etc etc.

Other than being fairly grubby all seems well and she turns over nicely so I'm not going with a full rebuild at this stage (104k).

I have an oil leak from the lower Varioram actuator, I've removed the actuator and the shaft seals are shot (in fact one of them was missing as there is meant to be two) so ordered new seals from OPC.

I'm considering whether to pull the varioram intake off to allow me to test the varioram itself and enable easier cleaning of the surrounding engine parts. Anybody have experience of this?, any tips?, also what have you used to clean the varioram intake itself?, all tips appreciated :)

Trev

I have no experience of doing this, but I have seen it done on Wheeler dealers - the Mike Brewer/Ed China program.

Have you seen the episode where they refurbish a 993 Targa?

I'm sure it's available online somewhere and it was repeated on TV last week. I think.

Anyway, Ed China has to repair the varioram unit as well as seeing him remove and strip it down to an extent he does also provide some good narrative and demonstration about how the thing works.

It didn't look too complicated to remove or work on from what I recall, but worth checking out the program. If you can find it.

I haven't seen this episode I will look forward to watching later ....... thanks for posting the link ...... :)

Yeh I have seen it a number of times, well it's all off the engine now so time to get it all sorted and the rest of the engine cleaned up.

Trev

The quality of the reproduction was so bad I couldn't watch it and failed to find a better quality version ....... but I am sure I will catch up with some other time when it's a repeated.

Hey,

Which seals is it your replacing on the actuator ? there's the black one that seals the manifold to the unit and there's a shaft seal inside the unit, id change both personally.

If you simply want to remove the manifold its fairly straight forward to remove it few jubilee clips, wiring plug for the evap valve, knock sensor wiring, cylinder head temp sensor and crank sensor wiring, fuel pressure regulator vac line and wiring plugs for the solenoids for the vario ram its self and that's pretty much it i think ...

if you have a vacuum tester check all actuators are working and holding pressure well. there probably wont be much (dirt) as such to clean inside it, just oil tbh. had a few manifolds vapor blasted and must say .... they look good. however did strip them completly to the bare bones. Washing / cleaning them ive found doesnt really do alot. When its off defo give underneath it a good clean, check the trumpet rubbers arent swollen.

Good luck :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0425_280.jpg
    img_0425_280.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 7,660
P Tek thanks for your response and the results of the vapour blast looks superb. I'll have to look up a local blaster.

Yes the unit is now off as well as the top plastic engine cowling, I had two bolts strip whilst removing but I wanted to give it a good clean underneath to get at the barrels. I've drilled the remaining stud and going to tap some fresh threads. I know they only hold the plastic cowling on the engine but I want it right.

Yes I've bought the large black seal and the two shaft seals, although mine only had one shaft seal which was perishing badly.I'm guessing the reason for the leaky. I'm hoping that will solve my actuator problems.

I'm waiting on a delivery from Rosepassion so I can finish off the valve chain covers, PAS belt and cover, several other bolts that stripped whilst dismantling the engine. I've also bought the N/S engine tin too which was a little messed up on mine.

New dissis and rotors are now on, with new Beru leads and plugs, sump plug, I've cleaned it up pretty well so far with still more to do.

Trev

P-Tek, took your advice and got my varioram Unit vapourblasted.

Couple of pics below:

ZEpBOmz.jpg

jNJwCyL.jpg

sQjitev.jpg

Also had the fan surround done, was tempted to leave it unpainted as the vapourblasting left it looking good but decided to paint it Ocean Blue to match the car body.

mqXFmP2.jpg
[/img]

Painting the fan housing is one of those totally pointless jobs that REALLY appeals to me! Can't wait to see it all assembled and pristine!

Completely pointless Tobes, but whilst it's out kind of thing...

It was a mess when I took it out, wasn't going to put this back in :hand:

w77ke2n.jpg

Calling P-Tek, I'm struggling to re-install the pipe nozzles as per below, have you re-installed these before?, they need to be squeezed and pushed in at the same time to engage the lip, not at all easy and haven't managed so far.

Any advice gratefully received...

aCKKxUo.jpg

Trev

All sorted guys, got them installed tonight :)

Just takes time with a comfy seat and several different sized screwdrivers to prize the rings into place.

Phew and relax

Trev

That vapour blasting looks really good, where did you have it done?

Just for info .. P-Tek has just moved house and has no internet atm , ill nag him tomorrow to get it sorted quick as hes wanted here !

Im afraid im no 993 guy so cant really help out much here :(

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back