Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Marky911 said:
Hi JS,
My mate Craig got us both a pair of condensers a while back. I've just text him for a link as they've gone from my eBay list now.

The rads are from here -

https://www.adrad.co.uk/car-radiator/catalogue.php?manu=PORSCHE&model=911&engine=&year=1998

They are £59.59 all in but they are local to me so I saved the £5 +vat for delivery off each rad so mine came to £107.
Quality looks great and they're an established company, but time will tell obviously.

I stumbled across a Porsche place having a clear out for my waterpump.
They are about £270 from the main dealers.
Beware though that every man and his dog are listing things as OE these days.
I messaged loads of sellers claiming their pumps were OE genuine suppliers etc yet most came back saying "Metal impeller" which the Porsche ones weren't.

I would only settle for a Porsche part in a Porsche box. It's not worth buying an unknown for the sake of saving £100 or so. It's an important part. :thumb:

I'll update with a link to the air con rads if I find out where they're from.

Edited to add -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/171447646092

They're £10 more now than when we bought them. £79 per pair.

Sorry, I hadn't seen your reply until now. Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Johnny

Thanks for all the comments chaps. Much appreciated.
Like I say it gives a brief snapshot of what is involved.

I'm very pushed for time at the moment as I used to do all my forum and computer stuff at work but thanks to a big shake up that's not possible at the moment. I didn't realise how much free time it saved me. :wink:

G911 - Thanks and I see Mike has answered your question. As he says, nothing will stop temperature rising when stationary apart from your fans kicking in.
LTT helps when moving. A tech once explained it to me as I thought once it opened it's exactly the same as a standard thermostat above 80-odd degrees. However the thermostat fluctuates all the time to maintain temp, so an LTT is actually helping a lot more than simply up to its opening temp.

It's a bit voodoo to me!

HSC - Thanks very much!
It's more a case of an idiot let loose with a drill and wire wheel rather than Epic, but I'll take that. :grin:

Osh - Thanks a lot. It's just maintenance really and everyone should check those areas, given the age and mileage of the cars.
The threads I place on a higher pedestal are the like of Poppop's, Dammit's and Rich's (ELA), but every thread is an important one. Thanks for the kind words. Nice to know people are browsing. :thumb:

Paul - Thanks for the comments. I'm glad it fills some time for people.

JS1500 - No problem Johnny, the info is there for others too, so worth posting.

Dammit - Thanks buddy, it's seeing cars like yours receiving so much from their owners that has made me pull my finger out. :thumb:

So as I've said I will post a more detailed parts list with some info on clips etc and a final price of the project. It will be over £300 but under £400 all done.

In fact the stripping and painting the arches barely adds £30 on for rust system and paint.

I'll also list the pages on the Porsche PET for the various items.
If you don't have this, download it from Porsche's website.

Righto, off to work. My work life balance is pants at the moment. :bye:

Very impressive stuff!
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Rob. :thumb:

Hi Wasz - Thanks for the heads up. I've read good things about that stuff. I'd left it too late in the week to have any delivered on time for the weekend I done mine and it had to be finished that weekend.
Craig has just ordered some silver Por15 for his though. We'll get his stripped and derusted (if there is any) on Saturday then painted the weekend after.
I'm sure he'll stick an update on his thread.

Looking forward to using it. Cheers. :thumb:

This type of work is essential for the longevity of the 996. Yes, they are galvanized and last well, but your hard work will pay dividends if you intend on keeping it for a number of years.

Forward on another 5 - 10 years, and I reckon Rust will be a much bigger topic on this forum than it is now....

Good work Marky996

Thanks EG. I appreciate the comments. :thumb:

Cheers James and yes rust will become more of an issue as time goes by. The same for every car I suppose, well every car that has covered a decent mileage. Nipped in the bud it's no big deal, but I suppose it depends on the use the car will get. If I was using mine all year round I'd probably have stone-chipped/under sealed the inner arches.
However given the light summer use my car gets I've opted for the painted finish and I'll monitor any vulnerable areas every spring.

Hi Wasz, I think that's what Craig went with in the end. Didn't bother with their full system. Some folk say it paints straight to rust, so it will surely work for us if we de-rust it, rust gel it, clean with IPA, and then paint. Cheers. :thumb:

So as promised a little update and round up on the parts and prices.

Firstly a pic of my order from the Porsche parts department.
Unfortunately I haven't got time to sit on the PET and match them all up but download it and you'll come across most of them if you do the job in a similar way to me. Obviously it depends on how far you want to go though as a lot of the fasteners will be reusable if you aren't a fusspot like me. :wink:

I've linked to the Porsche parts PDF below for anyone who doesn't have it -

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/en/E_996_KATALOG.pdf

The main pages you need on there for this project are -

Page 44 - Rads etc.

Page 242 - Arch liners

Page 245 - Front bumper

Page 226 - Wings. This is simply for item number 18 (part number 99650453100 + 99650453200 left and right), clear adhesive protector strips for where bumper meets wings

Page 441 - Tie wraps. These were tricky to find. Cable tie wraps for pipes and cables in arches. 2 per front arch.

On top of the Porsche items I also bought a few items off Ebay -

Stainless Jubilee Clips -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...var=660244951144&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You need 32mm-45mm (14 off) for larger hoses and 11mm-16mm (10 off) for the smaller ones.

Plastic push in trim clips. 10 off -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Plastic nuts to hold wheel arch liners in. 10 off -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Audi...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Now my mate Craig reckons the plastic clips and nuts above are almost as cheap from Porsche so you may want to just get them from there. The Porsche nuts have a bigger flange f'nar f'nar and are only 16p each plus vat.

M6 stainless steel flange nuts -
I used these on the lower pipe covers (3 each cover, 1 cover per arch) and maybe one or two other places. My eBay history says I ordered 2 lots of 10 but I can't think where they've all gone. You'll get an idea once you have it stripped. They're only £1.25 for ten anyway so maybe just order 20.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLANGED-N...var=450073161423&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The only items I had left over were -

A few hose Jubilee clips, plastic nuts and trim fasteners due to pack sizes containing more than required.

Some nuts (part number 99908463309) which I just don't need. 5 off cost a tenner so you may want to leave those off. I'm guessing they may be for places where I've used the M6 stainless flange nuts.

My adhesive wing strips which are to be fitted later as the car is going to the bodyshop next year so I'll fit them then. (I've used black electricians tape for now).

Rough costs below -

I already had the paint, Tardis, wire wheels, etc but if not you need to buy those.

Rads = £107 per pair
Condensers = £70.00 per pair
Resistors = £10
Porsche parts = £76.00
Ebay parts = £22
Powdercoating = £30
Paint, Tardis,
Wire wheels, etc= £30

Total = £345

That doesn't include coolant as the car went straight to my mechanics for water pump, LTT and coolant flush straight after, so that's a separate project.

So that's about it. It should get you well on your way. Any questions and I'll try to help. :thumb:

One more quick update and that gets me up to date before I get the car back this weekend.

So as I've mentioned the car went to my Indy just over a week ago now. I'll report on what it's had when it's all done as there's quite a bit and things change on a daily basis.

I had to collect my AOS from Porsche Centre Newcastle on the way down. They had this lovely old 356 in. I'd love a one of these although I prefer the 'A".
Closest I'll ever get will be a Chesil which would probably do for pottering out for a Sunday lunch, etc.

My indy has this in. He's known it for years and it has had no mechanical work whatsoever other than servicing. It gets run on a bit of a shoestring. :wink:
Imagine the owner had coughed up for a £12k preventative rebuild at 100k miles. He'd have sold himself short by 72k miles. :wink:

When I dropped mine off I whipped my sun visors out to bring home and repair the flappy covers.
The metal spring clips break the plastic they're mounted in so there's no tension. I guess there's probably a fix out there involving glue or epoxy, but it's better to have sound plastic really.
So I purchased 2 perfect used mirror units from Rich (ELA/CLR) from his car, for £30 each. Bargain.

I set about swapping them over but forgot to take pictures until I was almost done. There was no drama.
I wanted to swap them without cutting wires, so to do this you remove the internal gubbins and slide the metal power strips out the back of the old mirror moulding. You then offer the replacement housings up to the visor, slide the strips back in through the hole in the back and fit the bulbs back in.

Voila. No more flapping about.

As I've mentioned my mate Craig wants to do his arches now.
I thought he was just threatening me but sure enough he turned up at mine first thing Saturday morning. :D

So we got his inside and got cracking.

That means the little Abarth has to live outside yet again. It'll be back in in a couple of weeks though in time for the bad weather.

We made decent progress. First job was to remove his rear callipers to send them for refurb. His fronts have already been done.
A stubborn brake pipe meant a 30 mile round trip to his for better tools than my 'Gibbon spec" ones, then we were sorted.

Next was to get the front up in the air. We got it fully stripped so he had his bits for powder coating on Monday and I tackled the rust in the OS arch. Identical places to mine but not quite as bad, despite his car having 10k more miles. Proves there's some truth in the southern car vs Scottish car argument. Although my car began its life in Colchester, it was in Scotland long enough to accelerate the corrosion in places.

Anyway, Craig will no doubt update his thread once done so I'm not gonna repeat it all here. :wink:

In other news, these arrived a week or so ago -

They're the Design911 Carbon GT3 reps. Nice enough. I bought them used from Steve on here for £750 which is a fair price. They're very nice seats. Interior is a far away project though but I always gather parts if they're well priced. I'll have the centre cushions re-trimmed in grey leather to tie them in with my grey interior.

Next for me is get my car back, then look at getting it all under body protected.
In the meantime I can begin stripping my split rims for refurb and also refurbing my callipers and changing them to red for next year.

So that's it up to date. Only a big bill at the end of the week to look forward to now. :sad:

Marky911 said:
Thanks Gixxer, I appreciate the comments.

How are you getting on with yours? Any projects on the go?
Are you taking it off the road for winter or do you use yours all year round?

Get a thread update done anyway. Always good to see what people are up to. :thumb:

Hi Mark, sorry been back out in Europe a lot recently - so have not been on here! Yea i need to get a thread going as i cant remember half the stuff ive done so far :dont know: Just purchased a set of turbo twists which is what my car had from new and im toying with the idea of getting it back to factory spec possibly with a full set of amber lights. Not to everyone's taste but this pic convinced me.

The 996 is just a hobby so although it is always taxed insured and MOT'd it does not get used much and wont really over winter - I have test vehicles most of the time for work and use my bikes pretty much the rest of the time. So the old porka does not move much in the winter.

I am really keen to see those lovely seats in your car as im intrigued to see what they will look like with a grey interior (same as mine). Great work - keep it up :thumbs:

Attachments

• mk1ttwst_190.jpg
    mk1ttwst_190.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 9,380
Making good progress now pal!

It was you who beat me to those seats then; I contacted Steve but was informed that they had been sold. :lol:

Nice house / garage :thumb:

Marky911 said:

Love silver and terracotta. Classic Porsche colour combo.

Some good progress going on buddy :thumb:
Love the seats 8)
Would love some myself if I didn't need the back seats once in a blue moon

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back