Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RHS upper Cam cover gaskets replaced

decgraham

Hi All,

Well, carrying on from yesterday, I tackled the RHS cam cover gaskets today. I must say it wasn't too difficult once the tin ware was removed. In fact I would say that the RHS is easier than the LHS. I thought I'd need to remove the air filter box but I didn't. All the bolts were tight but all came out without any drama. A good spray of WD40 on all the bolts first though. I also removed the oil bridge as I want to renew the O-rings as on the LHS. I ordered new ones today as I couldn't find them locally.

Following on from P-Tek's advice I checked that the LHS camshaft hadn't moved when I removed the can chain tensioner, failing to set the engine at TDC :oops: I removed the lower set of plugs on both sides and turned the engine through 4 cycles, happy to report nothing jammed and it rotated very nicely. I won't know for sure until it's all back together and I start her up but I do know that the RHS is OK as I ran the car after doing it.

I've attached a couple of pics for reference.

ATB :) :)

Attachments

• rhs_cover_all_done_911.jpg
    rhs_cover_all_done_911.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 2,944
  • rhs_cover_off_163.jpg
    rhs_cover_off_163.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 2,944
Hi Trev,

To replace the gaskets for the camchain tensioners covers you have to remove the cover which holds and puts pressure on the actual tensioner, you can't do it any other way.

If you look at the attached picture from the PET you can see that the "adjuster" item 9 and 10 is enclosed by the "lid" item 11 and I replaced the gaskets item 12.

Maybe I didn't explain it too well in the first place so I now hope it's clear :thumb:

ATB :)

Attachments

• canchain_tensioner_120.jpg
    canchain_tensioner_120.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 2,898
Dec, ahhh I see you replaced the little gaskets for the Tensioner itself, I had in my mind that you were replacing the big gasket Number 6 for a minute :)

So are these tensioner gaskets known for leaking?, I'll have a look.

Also did you source the bridge O rings from Porsche ok?.

Trev

Hi Trev,

No haven't changed the No 6 gasket, I think that would be a step too far for me, I'd hand it over to a pro, which I might have to do if that LHS camshaft has slipped.

Regarding the leaks, if you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you a couple of Pelican Parts tech articles, they are for a 964 but there isn't too much difference in the engines. It was these articles that put me on the "fix the leak" journey. I only found them, in my Porsche file on my laptop after I'd done the lower camshaft covers and the camchain covers :evil: I could have saved my self double work and I would have been looking at the camshafts and chains when I did the tensioner gaskets. You live and learn. In the article it also tells you to set the engine to TDC :oops:

I wasn't able to find the O-rings locally so ordered new ones from Rose Passion. I believe that they supplied the wrong ones in the first place but they weren't having it, even though I told them I went through the same process for ordering parts. All the other parts that they supplied were correct so just strange that I clicked on the wrong part when I was looking at a 993 engine. Any way they are only €7.50 with shipping and hopefully they will be here by early next week. I can then box the old girl back up and see if she starts :roll:

ATB :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back