Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Must I lock the cams - take 2?

Old_croc1965

previously erroneously posted in 996 page :-$ Not doing well...

I couldn't find this in search... apologies if I missed it.

I have a 2007 Cayman S, putting in new clutch. Gearbox is dropped, IMS seal leaking a fair bit and clearly over a period of time. Looks like the very latest Gen 1 bearing with a 22mm bolt into the IMS cover, so the bearing should be bigger than the hole in the engine rear plate.

Logic says I do not need to lock the cams to remove the IMS cover plate and change the seals and have a look at the bearing. The bearing cannot move and the all the internals are fully connected up.

I haven't got cam locking bits and bobs and would rather only get/make them if I really need to.

Can I go ahead and only change the seal without the hassle of locking it up?

Thanks!

bit risky on a 3 chain engine, need to release tension on cam chain bank 1,3,5 or it pulls ims shaft to one side when you remove cover, turn engine to TDC bank 1,3,5, to check this remove green plug on exhaust cam, slot in cam should be 6oclock/12oclock if not turn another complete rev.you need to lock cam bank 1,3,5, before you remove tensioner!might be worth removing the outer seal on the bearing while your in there as per HARTECH recommendment! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Hmmm... my thinking is that I am not removing the bearing - it's staying firmly in place, and I am ONLY removing the cover to replace the seals, may well remove the bearing seal too. Does the bearing cover locate the bearing too, or is it pressed into the recess in the casing? I wasn't going to slacken the tensioners because there is no need?

It looks like, for the older bearings, a slide hammer is required to pull the bearing so it isn't loose...

Have I missed something fundamental? Won't be the first time!

If I am removing the bearing (not that I can on this one!) and hence slackening the tensioners then I absolutely get the movement that can happen...

Cheers

Thanks all, yes I loosened the three bolts and it was definitely under sideways force, so it's locating the end of the shaft and locking up is certainly required.

I came across lots of really helpful posts and pages for when replacing the bearing but none on just the seal.

The Pelican Parts sequence seemed to get a lot of criticism on the forum, I suppose for not properly locking the cams :dont know:

Anyway, thanks again, now where are my steel plate stocks... :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back