Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OEM Motorsound mufflers any good?

MattyR

Imola
I'll soon be re-doing the exhaust on the 993. Likely this will be a comprehensive affair from the manifold back as it's still running the original offering.

I am after a small increase in sound from the rear and have found that, even just by replacing the tips, one can get a little more 'interest' when giving it the beans.

My eye/ear has been turned to replacing the mufflers with a fruitier number and so I ask - do the OEM Motorsound mufflers make any difference to sound of the car both at idle and speed? If so to what degree? I'm not keen on going crazy-loud as I've always like the understated civility of the 993 and my boy racer days are long gone (Peugeot 106gti anyone?).

Much obliged gents!

I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as OEM motorsound mufflers - there are different size exhaust tips, for aesthetics only. Otherwise there is a motorsound airbox (few holes in the panel and chromed trumpet) which gives some more induction roar, but no claimed power gains.

The motorsound silencer/muffler has a wider diameter internal bypass pipe increasing noise level slightly with no discernable increase in performance.
Some of the aftermarket cans probably use a similar configuration. The RSR (Robin Sunn) modification is far more radical as are the Fisters. The X51 kits probably also used the motorsound muffler and the RS although I have no confimation of this other than they were different. I have done my own internal modifications along with cat bypass pipes (fabspeed) and it's loud with the occasional pop on overrun but is drone free and not too noisy on part throttle but is very good for triggering car alarms. The tips make a surprising difference to the exhaust note, far more than I would have expected. Wide ovals seen to lower the exhaust note judged side by side comparison with a mate who has a very similar system. I love my exhaust note now quite close to the RS sound if a bit louder. Muffler mods can go very wrong. The supercups are way too loud and some produce very irritating and tiring drone. Cats certainly affect the noise level and performance.
To date I have run:- Std, RSR,200cell cats (cargraphic), 100 cell cats x-pipe (Fabspeed), x-pipe decat (Fabspeed), Dansk sport muffler, self modded muffler, std tips, cheap oval tips and pucca pricey wide oval tips.
Recommended RSR, Fabspeed decat and wide ovals.
Avoid supercups(fabspeed)

Attachments

• standard_645.jpg
    standard_645.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 3,520
  • motorsound_194.jpg
    motorsound_194.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 3,520
Definitely consider the 200 cell cats if you want a slight increase in sound but wish to keep it all civilised.
More info here, with several sound clips: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=114402.

I was told the OEM motorsound mufflers are the loudest OEM mufflers - yes louder than the RS one apparently

adrian993 said:
louder than the RS one apparently
IIRC, the RS ones are actually quieter than stock, as they're missing the internal bypass - necessary to get the 3.8 to pass the drive-by regs :judge:

Gents once again many thanks for your knowledge. Endoman thanks especially for the detailed post!

I'll let you all know how I get on :thumb:

YW
As you can tell I've played around with the exhaust quite a bit. I used to have a 3.2 and thought the 993 had lost that classic flat six growl. It was the Swiss evidently. Interesting that the RS does not have the bypass. The internals of a turbo silencer are quite different and that was the basis of my mod with the help of a local guy who makes custom silencers for bikes and cars. He never wants to do another one, gutting a 993 silencer is definately a health hazard.

Even though MattyR has long sold his 993, I'm bumping his thread for the same question, putting aside the RSRs and Fisters for now...:

MattyR said:
so I ask - do the OEM Motorsound Mufflers make any difference to sound of the car both at idle and speed? If so to what degree?

(note, he refers to the mufflers, not the airbox or tips)

Opinions welcome :thumb:.

The default option used to be either the Hollamby bypass (pipe welded in cheapest option) or one of the carnewal options ie OEM motorsound or new / used exchange basis modified original mufflers to RSR spec …

http://www.carnewal.com/Exhaust#993

I did the exchange of my original mufflers for the modified RSR variant……i was more than happy with those

Its worth noting i run the original cat BUT the biggest think that made a difference to the exhaust note was the Wayne Schofield remap, that changed the noise of the engine more than anything else with more smiles per miles :wink:

I also have the Carnewal RSR Mufflers and his 200 cells cats (plus motor sound airbox) and the car sounds amazing.

Even though MattyR has long sold his 993, I'm bumping his thread for the same question, putting aside the RSRs and Fisters for now...:

uglj4F2.png

(note, he refers to the mufflers, not the airbox or tips)

Opinions welcome (y).

I'm going to answer my own question posed above :D.

First, some info for the archives...

It appears the MotorSound option (that is option code #159) for the UK market included the MotorSound Airbox and MotorSound Exhaust Tips only. Whereas option #159 elsewhere offered, in addition, the MotorSound Mufflers too.

You can verify this by looking at the Porsche Parts Diagrams PET System catalogue for the UK, and then comparing this with the US catalogue - check all parts that carry the M159 designation 👀...

Some helpful info re: part numbers...
  • All muffler part numbers begin with 993.111 followed by:
    • .045 = left, .046= right, followed by:
      • .04, .11 or .13 = standard muffler
      • .05, .10 or .14 = RS muffler
      • .07, .12 or .15 = Motor Sound muffler (sound pkg M159)
      • .54 = Turbo muffler
On to the question....

The idea behind considering Motorsound Mufflers over the more popular items (such as Carnewal RSR and Fister II and III) stems from wanting a more subtle upgrade, explained by the objectives below.

[Objective]
  • Improve factory exhaust note in tasteful manner (hence opting for a Porsche offering!)
  • Avoid booming/resonance,
  • Continue to be commute friendly,
  • Remain refined enough for family fun,
The mufflers, below...

(should be viewable if you are not Instagram, but may need to click to view)

[Sound Clips]
With that, here's the back to back comparisons; the 90sec video/sound clips cover:
  • Cold Start & Idle & Rev (before, with Porsche Stock VS after, with Porsche Motorsound)
  • Warm Idle & Rev ((before, with Porsche Stock VS after, with Porsche Motorsound))
(should be viewable if you are not Instagram, but may need to click to view)

[Early Impressions]
  • Offers a 15-20% louder, 'raw', tone owing to internal bypass pipe design,
  • A few more crackles on WOT,
  • No booming/resonance at cruising speeds (50/60/70mph),
  • Change in tone more noticeable at 4k rpm and above,

[Summary]
  • Fulfils the objective very well,
  • Couples with 200 cell cat harmoniously without being obtrusive,
*NB: Porsche MotorSound is more subtle than Carnewal's RSR and FD Motorsports' Fister offerings.

The really great news for anyone reading this, is that my pair of good condition factory mufflers will shortly be listed as available - and ideal for modification by the usual suspects (Fister Motorsport, Carnewal, Hayward and Scott, TopGear, Fast Road Conversions (Powerspeed), etc.) for enhancement, whilst being able to retain your original boxes.
Drop me a msg if of interest (y);).

i had the hayward and scott by pass pipes . now sounds like how it should have came from the factory . not to intrusive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back