Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to me Tubi Exhaust

FZP

The stock exhaust for 997.2 Carrera S is too quiet. Stating the obvious I know, car has the looks, performance and handling but is a few decibels short of a Tesla.
The plan A was to try and source a 2nd hand PSE with a cross over pipe. Found a 911, new into wreckers and someone beat me to the punch.
Plan B was to source a cross over pipe and release a bit of noise that way with a gundo hack. Not dead keen on choping into a perfectly good exhaust.I'd been waiting for someone to collect their crossover pipe they had removed, but near on 2 months later was getting edgy so I turned to eBay.
After scrolling through a million ads, i found in the bowels of ebay a Tubi Exhaust. Looked a bit rough in the pics, but took a chance. Drove down to see it from Cheshire to Bristol. A stroke of luck he lived in the next village to a mate, so if the exhaust wasn't kosher, it's a weekend away with nothing to lose.
Finally got it home and I'd like to bring it back as close to new as possible. After a quick Google it turns out being stainless steel, with the correct technique, they'll back to looking like mirrors.
Here are a couple of pics. The close up is a quick polish with Autosol on an area that had mild oxidisation. These exhaust systems seem to be extremely well made and are quite popular in the Ferrari/Lambo world.
I'm resisting the urge to get the exhaust on ASAP as from what I've researched on a bunch of YouTube videos, it's going to sound loads better. It will annoy me if I don't clean it up to the best of my ability.
I'm sure the bolts on the existing exhaust will be shot, so I'll be replacing with stainless steel. I believe the gaskets are copper so should be ok, but will replace if in doubt. For those who have done this with their own cars, are there any "gotchas" or special tools needed to complete the job of putting on an aftermarket exhaust, or am I best getting a local Indy to put it on for me.
Any advice on this would be appreciated. I'll take some pics s I go through the process.

Cheers
FZP

Attachments

• 20171022_174417_1600x1200_211.jpg
    20171022_174417_1600x1200_211.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 8,388
  • 20171022_174505_1200x1600_458.jpg
    20171022_174505_1200x1600_458.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 8,388
Taking the old exhaust off is relatively straightforward but be prepared for all the nuts and bolts to very corroded and seized, having a hacksaw to hand or even better a power saw would be a good idea.

If you have access to a car lift it will make the job easier, and removing the rear bumper for access which is easy enough.

Those exhausts will clean up nicely with paste and a buffing wheel :thumb:

Good luck!

Thanks Rob,
No access to a lift, so it's the hard way unfortunately. I've started the process this evening of using fine steel wool to get the crusty bits off. Jus using the wool has done an amazing job of bringing the shine back. Once I use the polishing cone on it, hopefully it be a mirror again.

Whilst I was out I today getting the bits and pieces I needed for the exhaust, I happened on a sign writing place and procured a strip of carbon fibre vynil wrap to do the bit in between the exhaust as per a GTS. Whilst I have the rear bar off it made sense to do it as it was on my mind as a job to do.

Time permitting, hoping to have exhaust ready for the swap over on the weekend.

I got my 997.2 in April after 4.5 years with my 997.1 with PSE and yes, what a quiet car! Had the Gundo done by the chap in Milton Keynes and then the Hayward & Scott cross over like yours. Sounds much better (but still not quite like the old PSE). The very experienced fitter at H&S said that the bolts etc are a right pain but now have shiny new stainless nuts and bolts and looks the dogs!! Took the old bits home and they are in the shed.

So I've stuck my head under the car today and It looks like the nuts are a 5/10 in terms of corrosion. A steel brush, some heat and wd40 should help in getting them off. My concern is that I'll get into it and there will be that one nut that will be a *****, and I'll be stuck in limbo.
I've been to my local Indy and he's asking £400ish if it all goes well to do the swap over.
I'll give it a stab and see how it all goes.

FZP said:
So I've stuck my head under the car today and It looks like the nuts are a 5/10 in terms of corrosion. A steel brush, some heat and wd40 should help in getting them off. My concern is that I'll get into it and there will be that one nut that will be a *****, and I'll be stuck in limbo.
I've been to my local Indy and he's asking £400ish if it all goes well to do the swap over.
I'll give it a stab and see how it all goes.

I had Hale & Scott crossover pipes on my 997.2 pdk the sound is amazing and also quiet when low revs, I paid about £600.00 fitted and was worth every penny.
The good part is you can put back together when selling.......... win win.

Hurry up Frank, I am desperate to hear if this is gate of hell opening mate, it looks like it could be. I know its going to have the stock cats but tubi has a great rep for sounding good. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Yes that's the appeal of buying a whole system. Bolt on, Bolt off (in theory). I'm short the large jubilee clips for the cross over pipes. Contacted the seller and his garage is looking for them. Let's hope he can find them.
Saturday is hopefully strip down day

You won't be disappointed.

I had this exhaust when I had my 997.2, I managed to buy it used in the US for £600 (back when the exchange rate was better)

It's a fair bit louder than stock but it doesn't drone at all, nice sound when you put you're foot down but not obnoxiously loud.

I have an IPE exhaust on my 991, which is too loud most of the time with the valves open. I wouldn't hesitate in getting another Tubi system, as you say, they're very well made.

Not having heard with my own ears the exhaust note has made me somewhat apprehensive, but feel it's going to be what I'm after. Out of curiosity, did you get any pops or bangs on over run?

No pops and bangs unfortunately, you might get it with sports mode though, you centainly do on the 991.

markz86 said:
No pops and bangs unfortunately, you might get it with sports mode though, you centainly do on the 991.

Pse+h&s will burble quite a bit if you get some heat in it

FZP said:
The stock exhaust for 997.2 Carrera S is too quiet. Stating the obvious I know, car has the looks, performance and handling but is a few decibels short of a Tesla.
The plan A was to try and source a 2nd hand PSE with a cross over pipe. Found a 911, new into wreckers and someone beat me to the punch.
Plan B was to source a cross over pipe and release a bit of noise that way with a gundo hack. Not dead keen on choping into a perfectly good exhaust.I'd been waiting for someone to collect their crossover pipe they had removed, but near on 2 months later was getting edgy so I turned to eBay.
After scrolling through a million ads, i found in the bowels of ebay a Tubi Exhaust. Looked a bit rough in the pics, but took a chance. Drove down to see it from Cheshire to Bristol. A stroke of luck he lived in the next village to a mate, so if the exhaust wasn't kosher, it's a weekend away with nothing to lose.
Finally got it home and I'd like to bring it back as close to new as possible. After a quick Google it turns out being stainless steel, with the correct technique, they'll back to looking like mirrors.
Here are a couple of pics. The close up is a quick polish with Autosol on an area that had mild oxidisation. These exhaust systems seem to be extremely well made and are quite popular in the Ferrari/Lambo world.
I'm resisting the urge to get the exhaust on ASAP as from what I've researched on a bunch of YouTube videos, it's going to sound loads better. It will annoy me if I don't clean it up to the best of my ability.
I'm sure the bolts on the existing exhaust will be shot, so I'll be replacing with stainless steel. I believe the gaskets are copper so should be ok, but will replace if in doubt. For those who have done this with their own cars, are there any "gotchas" or special tools needed to complete the job of putting on an aftermarket exhaust, or am I best getting a local Indy to put it on for me.
Any advice on this would be appreciated. I'll take some pics s I go through the process.

Cheers
FZP

There are not that many of those around second hand and I think that might be off my wife's 997 (54 plate C2). We bought it second hand too, and then I gave it to the mechanics at my dealer (Porsche Bristol) when we part exed the car as they had to take it off to put it on the forecourt. Good sound. Well made.

drmark said:
FZP said:

Cheers
FZP

There are not that many of those around second hand and I think that might be off my wife's 997 (54 plate C2). We bought it second hand too, and then I gave it to the mechanics at my dealer (Porsche Bristol) when we part exed the car as they had to take it off to put it on the forecourt. Good sound. Well made.
Would be good if it were, but I don't think it is as gen1 and gen2 are different systems from what I've been told.
I'm hoping to get the brackets to hold the xpipe on from the owner as he gave me the OE clips for the centre exhaust rather than the correct ones. I genuinely can't wait to get them on

Be prepared for some hassle when removing the old bolts. I had all my bolts replaced 9 months ago and when I went to change the exhaust earlier this week they are completely corroded to the extent that they snapped on removal ...even with heat applied. The bolts at the top of the cat are very difficult to access and there is no way I could get them out...so it's off for some oxy acetylene to to burn them out. This time they will be replaced with A4 stainless

Let us know how you get on

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back