Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

anyone done the jump from 996 GT3 to 997 GT3?

sadly not a gen 2 pip. mk1 997.

felt a little bit quicker than mine but not enough to warrant the extra ££ for the change. bit more compliant on the road and a little bit softer. more modern cabin but that was about it really.

I would miss the liveliness of the 996 I think too much and the noises.

NLW73 said:
felt a little bit quicker than mine but not enough to warrant the extra ££ for the change.
Unless I'm mistaken, the values of 996 vs. 997.1 GT3s, like-for-like on mileage and condition, the 6 is nearly as much as the 7, certainly the 6.1?

As you say, different cars, but I'd say the market values the 6 strongly.

FRP said:
You guys are fantastic

The time taken to post replies with in depth knowledge and information. This is what I love about this forum.

I find it a breath of fresh air and enjoy reading about other drivers / owners exposure to cars, issues, or just plain opinions.
:agree: I went onto the PH forum on the weekend for the first time in ages. :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Diggermeister said:
NLW73 said:
felt a little bit quicker than mine but not enough to warrant the extra ££ for the change.
Unless I'm mistaken, the values of 996 vs. 997.1 GT3s, like-for-like on mileage and condition, the 6 is nearly as much as the 7, certainly the 6.1?

As you say, different cars, but I'd say the market values the 6 strongly.

That is one way of looking at it. Another is that they have both now reached the point at which age becomes irrelevant to value and consider that both the production total and the number that came into the UK for the 996.2 and 997.1 were almost identical. In which case, they actually ought to coalesce to on or about the same value. :thumb:

[And if you look at it in those terms, the other take away is that at some point in the future the 996.1 should overtake the values of both of them]

I kind of get your logic Disco. I guess you also have to factor in the theoretical (assuming you can actually get your name on the dealer list to put a deposit down) cost of a brand new equivalent GT3.

My take is that 997 and older GT and RS - to any degree - are cars that money simply cannot buy the equivalent of, new today, full stop.

Just seen this thread. There are some erudite and educated responses. I'll give you my more random comments.

I moved from 2 years with a 996.2 GT3 to a 997.1 GT3 club sport. I must be a crap driver (yes I am actually, and slow), because I loved the 997 as soon as I started the test drive (interior, engine noise, gear change)

People say the 996 GT3 is more raw. I didn't think so, perhaps because I had a 996.2. If you want raw then buy a 993. I have one as a daily driver and its simply fantastic. Drove it from Reading to Leeds this morning in the rain, then back to Nottingham tonight on my way to Center Gravity tomorrow morning. I had better post this bit on the 993 page.

Impressive hopeydaze! Haven't owned a 996 GT3 but been in one quite a bit and nearly bought one so test drove that. Didn't think there was a huge difference to a 997 in rawness, for me it was the interior and feeling more secure and planted, but that was probably as much to do with familiarity than anything else.

PS. I come into Wargrave occasionally to lunch at the George & Dragon, haven't been there since getting the GT3 so don't know if I could use their steeply raked car park without ripping the splitter off :roll:

Wargrave....just up the road from where I work. lovely village and my old VP of webmethods Roy murphy lives there. huge gaff and has a helicopter too.

G&D is a lovely pub. maybe have a little get together there to talk Rawness ;-)

Think many people here know my journey and strong preference.

I've travelled from 996.2 GT3 to 996RS to 3.8RS to 4.0RS to 3.8RS to GT4....
...and for me, the 996.2 GT3/RS is my sweet spot.

As I mentioned elsewhere I bought another 996 clubsport this summer - probably best car on the market - more expensive than GT4s, 997.1GT3s, etc. But I wanted to get a good straight car before they become impossible to find at the same price point.

So my point being that for 'fun driving' and feedback I rate the 996 highest. The others are of course also excellent cars and each one a sweetspot for other people. I like to enjoy these cars on track as well (no point using them as road cars only for me else you only but scratch at the surface). The topend ones can be a bit too refined at the limit and also get too expensive to use at the limit of grip/talent. The 996 is not priced at that end of the scale, give glorious feedback, and at the end of the day it is about smiles per mile. In a 996 you get around 400bhp and are fully connected to every nuance, action, reaction, weight shift, etc. Ah! Superb!

vAR4gDl.jpg

The 996.1 has passed me by. I sense the standard car is a little low on power at around 350 horses. I have driven modified ones which give closer to 996.2 power but then I'm not a big fan of engine power upgrades.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back