Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Passenger Airbag Child Seat Deactivation Deactivation

Sundayjumper

Spa-Francorchamps
No, not a typo ! I'm coming at this from the opposite direction to every other thread about it, I'm removing the passenger airbag deactivation bar. Basically, I got all over excited when my daughter was born and had it installed, but nearly four years on she's only been in the car a handful of times and because I'm now fitting buckets I wanted to remove the bar as she won't be going in it any more. She prefers Mummy's Passat :roll:

But simply unplugging the bar brings up an airbag warning on the dash :( It had to be coded into the car in the first place, so I guess it also needs to be un-coded.

*** DISCLAIMER ***

I've read the old threads and realise this topic is a little contentious, so to be clear, do not do this to your car. I'm presenting my experience purely for technical interest. Don't flame me.

*** DISCLAIMER ENDS ***

Going back to my Tuna just to get this un-coded seemed like a big hassle so I started researching what the thing actually does. I found THIS thread by Renntech's "ukchris" so I must give credit where it's due for pointing me in the right direction. That thread proposes this as the schematic:

12421710211907363b.jpg

Now, I'm not strictly an engineer but I do lean that way, and to me those values seemed incredibly specific. There would be a tolerance in the manufacturing of the resistors so I felt the car would only be looking for high/low resistance in the right ballpark rather than a specific value. The nearest single-resistor solution available was 240Ω + 2kΩ. Purchased from my local Maplin for 10p each. It cost me more in petrol driving there & back !

I also needed a switch. A redundant bedroom sidelight gave me this:

12421710211907362b.jpg

So then to wire it up. The 240Ω in series and the 2kΩ switched in/out by the switch. Chop off the connector on the loom and it all fits very easily inside the switch:

12421710211907361b.jpg

And it works. I've removed the OEM deactivation bar and I don't have any warning lights.

I'll reiterate, because I know what some people are like, do not do this to your car. I just thought it was interesting to see how it works.

Forgot to add, I took the following measurements while putting it together:

OEM buckle
"airbag on" = 2.24 kΩ
"airbag off" = 253Ω

The thing wot I did:
"airbag on" = 2.21 kΩ
"airbag off" = 237Ω

It could be tweaked to make it a closer match, but (IME) it's not necessary.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back