Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

This one seems to be hanging around...

jotaking said:
From my reading and what I have been told (so please don't take this as red)

The rev limit or thereabouts is where the range starts. This climbs up in small increments. I dont know the exact rev numbers but I think its something like 6600 rev1, 6700 rev2???(Any expert input would be good). Each firing of the cylinder is logged in relevant range 1-6. If you register a range 3 then you would also register a 2 & 1 as you worked up the range to a 3.(I think)

I assume the range is there to help diagnose mechanical problems before they have a catastrophic effect?

I don't understand why the range data would be any different on a GT3 other than the registration process would start higher up the rev range?

Ranges 1-3 are generally considered to be acceptable usage and within tolerances. Ranges 4 & 5 would require leak down tests and range 6 possible engine tear down.

IIRC the rev data becomes less important the longer the engine has run past the logging time? Therefore, if it has a range 4 and has run for 200 hours without incident then it would be deemed okay??

I am fully prepared to be shot down in flames!!

It would be good if any experts can input with some good data and evidence to explain to everyone what all this over rev business is about?

Read this, it will clear it up for you.

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Cunno said:
As you can see a 997 GT3 doesn't record RR1 till 9000rpm, which is 600rpm over the limiter. So it's not uncommon for 997GT3s to have no over revs as the only way is to miss a shift.

Some good info on the link.(I missed the earlier entry) Thanks for that.

So in summary...

Carrera and Turbos capture over rev data from (max RPM+200)

GT3 capture data from (max RPM+600)

Why is 200+ revs the marker for standard cars and 600+ the marker in GT3 cars?

Is it because Porsche engineers expect GT3's to be bouncing off and above the limiters more often and therefore don't want to catch masses of irrelevant data?

Or...

Is this because the GT3 motorsport engine can withstand higher loads/tolerances and therefore does not require the same degree of monitoring/protection as the standard Carrera and Turbo engines?

Boffins required!

jotaking said:
Cunno said:
As you can see a 997 GT3 doesn't record RR1 till 9000rpm, which is 600rpm over the limiter. So it's not uncommon for 997GT3s to have no over revs as the only way is to miss a shift.

Some good info on the link.(I missed the earlier entry) Thanks for that.

So in summary...

Carrera and Turbos capture over rev data from (max RPM+200)

GT3 capture data from (max RPM+600)

Why is 200+ revs the marker for standard cars and 600+ the marker in GT3 cars?

Is it because Porsche engineers expect GT3's to be bouncing off and above the limiters more often and therefore don't want to catch masses of irrelevant data?

Or...

Is this because the GT3 motorsport engine can withstand higher loads/tolerances and therefore does not require the same degree of monitoring/protection as the standard Carrera and Turbo engines?

Boffins required!

Not sure it's to do with loads/tolerances as up to the 997 Turbo 1.5 the Turbos and GT3s share the same Mezger lump of course, albeit the GT3 has some different parts in there. Maybe it is those parts that make the difference though? :dont know:

NLW73 said:
Tom is it right that the 996 version will only record rev ranges 1 and 2 where as the 997 will go right up to 6?

what's the general view? don't touch anything which has had a rev range 3 and above?

what does it mean when a car has had rev range too about 1000 hours ago for example? thanks,

Tom's piece on the 911V website explains this clearly as someone has already said but in summary 996s have 2 ranges and 997s have 6 ranges.

An over rev showing from 1000 hours ago could be a very long time ago indeed. Dunno how much you all drive your cars on average but let's say 10 hours per week so 100 weeks ago which is basically 2 years. I guess a number of buyers who understand this may well take a view on a 2 year old over rev if there's no damage showing now? I guess it does depend on the range of the over rev though... :dont know:

I don't think inclusions past the limiter that trigger over revs many hours ago are the concern when buying a car it is more the problem of moving the car on when you come to sell.

Like a full OPC history and low mileage/low owners, a clear rev range report adds to desirability/saleability.

I am not sure how long it has been "hanging around" but I am sure that with the release of newer models for a price not dissimilar (assuming you get one) and the fact that the new ones come in 'automatic' has a bearing on sales of 'vanilla' GT3s.

I should imagine that although the market has possibly been increased ie those wanting an 'auto' now have the option of a GT3 to suit, it has possibly reduced the market (of buyers) for those wanting a comfort specification manual GT3. I wonder how many of those who option a comfort specification would also have bought an 'auto' GT3 if the option was there.

Now we have a car at 911V that is nearly eight years old for a price not far off the cost of a 991. Its Porsche competition is only three years old and likely with less miles. Pistonheads shows four 991 GT3 for sale for less than £120,000. Perhaps there is not enough of a disparity in price between a 991 and a 997:

2013 27,000 miles 991 GT3 Comfort £117,000
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt3-991/porsche-911-gt3-pdk/7626873

2014 9,000 miles 991 GT3 Comfort £118,000
https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...e/911-gt3-991/porsche-911-gt3-2dr-pdk/7198855

2014 10,000 miles 991 GT3 Clubsport £118,000
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt3-991/porsche-911-gt3-pdk/7176221

2014 18,000 miles 991 GT3 Comfort £119,000
https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-porsche-warranty-until-november-2018/7630191

Me personally, I would opt for the old school 997 with stick although I would have to look into getting nomex seats and a cage put in. Can a full OEM cage be retro fitted, I don't know.

I summary I do think the market for comfort specification GT3 997 has narrowed unless the price is right.

The upside is Tom at 911V has had his product pushed forward on the sales shelf with all this discussion so good luck. :thumb:

Pip

Pip1968 said:
Me personally, I would opt for the old school 997 with stick although I would have to look into getting nomex seats and a cage put in. Can a full OEM cage be retro fitted, I don't know.

Yes it can; it's not that complicated since it only involves fabricating the floor plates plus a bit of cutting & welding. The thing is, it will still only be a modified comfort and won't be worth the same as a factory clubsport.

The car is showing deposit taken, nice job by 911v to sell it twice it quite a short timeframe :wink:

Anybody on here? Had a look when buying mine, it's even better in the flesh :congrats:

997 GT3

:popcorn:

Couldn't resist !

Tom

Re: 997 GT3

TomH said:

Couldn't resist !

Tom

Ha ha, fair play! :wink: Gorgeous car btw :thumb:

TomH said:

Couldn't resist !

Tom

Does this mean I have to put my popcorn away now?

Or, do I keep going until I choke?

Well done! :thumb:

jotaking said:
TomH said:

Couldn't resist !

Tom

Does this mean I have to put my popcorn away now?

Or, do I keep going until I choke?

Well done! :thumb:

Quality retort, and thank you !
If I can ever help in the future you know where I am.
All the best Tom

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back