Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake parts question

Tycho

I have got some brake work upcoming & am seeking help from the 993 knowledge base.
Has anybody bought any stainless steel braided flexi brake hoses recently? I am looking for a good source.
I also need handbrake cables & have seen First Line on the net, does cheap mean poor quality?

Thanks chaps

I use HEL, stainless fittings and and any colour you like, better quality than Goodridge imho.

I went with the standard brake line items as my car will be a family cruiser so no intention of hitting the track or anything like that.

I've literally just bought two new handbrake cables as mine were rusted into the guide tube, so new guide tubes and cables required. Bought them from carparts4less using their latest offer code, still expensive but they are original VM parts, personally I wouldn't bother with anything else.

Also bought Sebro rear discs and a set of new handbrake shoes.

Trev

Thanks, I had seen good reports of the HEL hoses, they are only showing C4 on their website but I believe that they are the same for a C2.
I have seen that there is an issue with two different designs on the rears, one for up to early '95 cars & one for late '95 onwards. Guess what mine is May 95. Looks like next job is to get a wheel off to check.

Hi

In my opinion the standard hoses are in fact superior to the metal braided type. I happily have Bilstein suspension and elephant racing bushes on my car, so I do not mind a bit of aftermarket, but I do not like braided hoses.

A carryover from my Lotus Elan days. I have seen too many rusty disintegrating ones. And the hoses lol.

All the best

Berni

One thing about replacing the flexy is that the hard line connections are often seized to the pipe so be prepared with a good dose of anti-seize or the hard line may need replacing as well and that can be a real pain. The HEL hoses on my 944 have a swivel female connector which makes fitting them much easier. They may not list the exact hoses but can make anything I've found them very helpful and supply just about all the BSB competitors. They are in Exeter. There is also Brake Equip at Chorley who are also very helpful. Goodridge connectors rust in no time, as I found on my MGA back in the day and on the 993 now replaced. Braided are not rcommended on the 944 rear or other Porsches with trailing arm suspension as they don't cope well with twisting.

I have ordered the HEL hoses. I called them re the fitting & they really helpful, said get back to them if any problems putting them on so they make me a revised set.

Arrived this morning.

Attachments

• 993_hoses_769.jpg
    993_hoses_769.jpg
    872.6 KB · Views: 4,190
Be interested to see how you get on fitting them.

Did you figure out if your car has the earlier or later type at the rear?

I recall talking to Tomas of Pro-Calipers about the HEL braided lines; he was working with HEL to make sets of the later type available and offered to let me have a set to see if the latest prototype fitted. Unfortunately as I'd just put my brakes back together I couldn't be persuaded to take them apart again.

My mate is due to various jobs on the car in the coming week or so. He has managed to tackle any 993 challenge to date. I will report on progress.

Early 993's have a different rear fitting for the hose (964 style I think) so check before everything gets undone etc!!

I had Techna Fit ones fitted to my 993 (they do both styles) and bought both types and sold the ones I didn't need on here.

There is a picture on a thread on here showing the difference but on phone at moment and can't find it

Yes, I had seen about the different fittings on the rears. I believe (hope) that I have got the correct ones, my mechanic mate will check before starting work. If I have got the wrong ones expect to see them listed on the forum for sale.

Quick update, the HEL hoses fitted fine on my 95 car. But badly corroded nipples on 3 out of 4 pipes caused extra work.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back