Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 3.4 c2 track project thread

nickson

hi everyone, been on the forum a while, but not had a 911, finally managed to bag myself a 996 3.4 (2000) c2, non traction control, non sunroof, m030 suspension, in zenith blue and 75k miles. car was subject to a write off a couple of years ago, but it was only a new bumper and exhaust silencer/impact bar. car is straight and drives very well and mechanically seems very good with a strong engine, and no leaks/smoke etc. pulls very well.

the idea is to make the car as light and hardcore as possible, staying road legal, but more suited for regular track days. i run a motorsport fabrication/prep business so will be doing all the work here. i do a lot of transaxle 924/944 etc stuff, and also have a 924 turbo, with widebody gtr/gtp panels, full multipoint cage/and all 944 turbo running gear which will be under a tonne and over 500bhp.

the car has already gone on a bit of a diet, with all the interior carpet and lots of trim gone. still running headlining/doorcards etc, but rest is all gone. did a bypass pipe mod to exhaust to get it sounding a bit more fruity, and then just driven the car and had fun. booked for trackday end of month at goodwood for a shakedown, and then the car will go on the ramp and come apart ready for full overhaul with new parts, cage/buckets/harnesses, then brake and suspension overhaul and upgrade etc.

i would like to go down gt3 rs sort of look, but not 100% decided on that yet, with regards to the look of the car.

i have had many cars, and the 911 is the one i have hankered after for years! finally got one and absolutely love it, even though its nowhere near as quick as a lot of other cars i have had, it just pulls on the heartstrings and i can feel it has massive potential to be a great car with some modifications.

i will keep progress documented on here, we have a build thread of the 924 turbo build on another forum and its got a huge following so hopefully spark some interest on here too.

this is my personal car and hope to get along and meet as many people as possible in the future. i popped down to brooklands this weekend and met a few people already, so looking forward to meeting more, and most importantly getting out on track!

Attachments

• 911_179.jpg
    911_179.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 6,205
limited mods for the minute, include removing all the interior carpets, front and rear, rear seats, aircon radiators, and front impact bar. centre console etc all gone.

the noise in the cabin is awesome! its amazing how much sound insulation there is in the rear of the car, as well as weight! it really sounds like the engine is in the car with you!

next main weight saving mod will be fixed bucket seats to get rid of the heavy electric sport seats!

the gearbox is a bit noisy! so this will be an excuse for a rebuild along with LSD install at same time. along with uprated gearbox and engine mounts.

already got some gt3 coilovers lined up from another forum member i saw at brooklands meet this weekend, upgrading to kw items.

welcome Nick and great to see the car at Brooklands. that was a great day out and the free food was brill too

you have had a right result there with what you paid for it and am sure it will be a cracking car once done. look forward to seeing the progress.

its amazing what you can get for the money right now with the 996 but it won't stay like that for long that's for sure.

:popcorn: - I am treading a similar path to you, albeit perhaps a little less hardcore.

Re: exhaust, a standard PSE system is borderline from a noise perspective on many UK circuits. - I have a standard system with after market rear boxes, they were on the car when purchased, and I was borderline at Brands & Combe and was send home early from Bedford, all of this with additional baffles.

General concensus is that there is little to gain from performance via the exhaust, so my advise would be concentrate on getting the DB level where it needs to be, nothing worse than have to lift and short shift to manage the volume.

Looking forward to this thread. It'll help me make my mind up what to do with mine as I bought it with the intention to make it track focused but I'm wavering!

I`ll be watching this build with interest as this was my intention when I bought my Aerokitted 996.1, but have been talked out of it by everyone that has seen it/worked on it :nooo:

You should have a look at ELA`s thread here, might be a bit extreme though :grin:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106137

When are you going to Goodwood? If I'm free I may drop by.

Seems like there are more than a few 996 C2 'trackday-ers' in the south. Perhaps we should organise a 996 C2 track meet in 2018?

i will try get some more pics up on the thread of whats been done so far, i know pics are what people want to see!

should be at goodwood on 30th of october. wont be going mad, just giving the car a shake down before it comes apart over the winter.

its currently got budget tyres on the rear lol! although i do have some michelin pilot sport cup, which should prob just about go onto the 10j rears, and some almost bald r888 fronts.

if its wet, it will be interesting lol, especially as im getting used to the 911 handling, and the car feels like it needs a bit of suspension love too!

might be able to get the gt3 coilovers on the car beforehand if i get my arse in gear!

i could do with some recommendations with regard to top mounts. i am getting a set of 996.2 gt3 coilovers, but they wont have top mounts. so what do people recommend with regard to top mounts for mainly track use?

also i read i will need shorter droplinks? shall i just order gt3 items from porsche opc, or are there aftermarket items available?

i will have the m030 setup for sale off this car for anyone interested

cheers

For track work I would go mono-ball top mounts.

You can either use GT3 items or aftermarket from the likes of tarret or rennline.
I have gone, but yet to fit, GT3.

If you buy original Porsche parts always get a cost from your OPC, will be cheaper then D911, Porscheshop and the like and by just asking you can usually get at least 10% off

Yes have found mono balls front and rear for around 600.

Is it front or rear drop links that need to be shorter?

Will std c2 front and rear top mounts work or not ? (For time being as I have track day coming up and keen to fit coilovers)

I have a good relationship with my opc as I work on a lot of transaxle Porsches.

Cheers

I am unsure on the top mount question and in relation to the drop links I am intending to fit adjustables, car is currently in pieces, so again unfortunately I am of no help.

If shaking down you could stay with M030, and save yourself the agro of fitting the suspension twice. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of grip.

The car will understeer from the factory, so your budget rear and r888 front combo may just get you to neutral :?: :D

im not bothered about fitting/removing suspension twice, would rather fit the gt3 stuff if possible using the original top mounts. since removing a lot of weight from the car, the ride height has risen, and the car feels a bit strange. im keen to get it back down to a more track based ride height and setup geo from there.

ideally be nice to get a bucket seat in the car too, i have a couple lying about, just need a suitable side mount to get it bolted into the car, running out of time to fab something up

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back