Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New water pump time , £245 OE or £108 budget?

We've gone for OE on mine, direct from Porsche. I think if it was me buying it myself i'd have gone for the cheaper, OE quality item, i think we're paying for the Porsche branding.

However, the engine builder has a wealth of experience and it's his reputation on the line so i don't question it. On the flip side, the use of guaranteed quality parts throughout, despite cost, is an added layer of comfort. It's been the same with bearing shells, timing chains, tensioners, the whole shebang, all direct from Porsche where required.

I did have to renew a faulty lambda sensor in the past. I bought one direct from EuroCarParts, the exact same Bosch item and with the Porsche part number filed off. The only real difference was the price.

Well the fitting hasn't exactly gone according to plan!

Firstly someone has welded the exhaust clamps up for some reason so I couldn't undo them to move them out of the way. I ploughed on regardless though and moved onto the pump bolts but on the first one the head sheared off! The others loosened ok but how do you get to the bottom right two?

Thanks, yes I've seen that as well as a couple of other guides, they make it sound very straightforward! More jiggling and waggling needed.

Had time for another crack at this tonight but I can't get near the bottom right two bolts, any tips greatly appreciated

Attachments

• img_2816_187.jpg
    img_2816_187.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 4,165
Different size sockets, ie deep sockets, or short extension bar, or a 1/4 drive ratchet etc. Also have you undone the engine carrier plate and moved it rearwards yet? This is the only way you'll get the water pump out of the housing when the bolts are released anyway.

Good luck

I've not done this in situ but wouldn't attempt it from above.

If you have the equipment then go from below, after jacking up getting the rear on axle stands or ramps and supporting the engine you may well find it much easier to remove rear bumper, cats. I think the engine carrier needs to come off which cat pipes are clamped onto (unless there's wiggle room behind it??) and then the 10mm head pump bolts are easy to access with a 1/4" drive, extension and normal socket.

I've never tried it wil the engine mount carrier in situ.

Hope this helps a little and good luck

When I did mine it was part of a complete rear end off strip down.
As others have said it is easier in the long run to take the bumper off, remove the exhaust (good excuse to renew the nuts which will be rotten), then slacken off the main engine mount plate, 4 long bolts.
You need to lift the engine with a trolley jack to do this, then pull the plate back a few inches and that allows you access to the pump bolts.
Your exhaust brackets, if they are welded cut them off and buy new, you will also probably need two new clamps for the main silencer box.

It is a big job but if you do it right you can fit in loads of other bits around it so it will save you a shed load of cash in labour and you'll have new bits for the next few years.
I did plugs. plug coils, main drive belt, exhaust studs and nuts, new manifolds, and new Pierburg water pump and a few knackered hoses and a front rad.

Attachments

• 20170117_161631_819.jpg
    20170117_161631_819.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 4,086
Thanks all, I'll see if I can get an it more room from the engine bracket. The bumpers are due to come off shortly to be repainted so I can bring that forward if needed but I can't stretch to a new mufflers at the moment.

I'll have another go when I get some time.

If you have an angle grinder buy a couple of 1mm thick cutting discs and simply cut the nuts off the clamps for exhaust sections involved.

You can buy the square section locating dome head bolts from a fixing supplier or off eBay and that also allows you to re-use 4 large clamps which go over the cat to silencer roll sections (see pic)

Don't be afraid to lowere the engine a little either.

Without engine mount brace

With engine mount brace

:thumb:

God I thought I was brave doing what I did last year but taking your engine out that is big kahuna time! I suppose if you have the knowledge and the eqpt then it's a lot less stressful.

Progress in that the pump is now free with all the bolts removed, the really hard to reach bolt which I was worried about wasn't for the pump after all so it wasn't too bad.

I still can't get it out though so it looks like the exhaust will be coming off tomorrow.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back