Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My worst fears

jaychief said:
From the Porsche mechanics that I've spoke today both, from independent Porsche and Porsche official garage they have said it's mostly down to the driver causing the bore score of the engine......

It is........but did they tell you how and why? It's not just down to caning the car cold. Did they also tell you it's more common in tiptronics as they set off in 2nd gear and the torque exerted on the engine at low revs doesn't half cause some damage. There's umpteen different scenarios that accelerate the process.

I'll bet 99% of Porsche drivers don't know how it's caused.

jaychief said:
From the Porsche mechanics that I've spoke today both, from independent Porsche and Porsche official garage they have said it's mostly down to the driver causing the bore score of the engine......

Yes if they had never started or driven them, they would be fine.
Whilst there is some responsibility on the drivers, I imagine many of those drivers went on to a gen 2 without altering their driving technique, yet the gen 2, so far, appears to have far fewer issues.

Could it be that Porsche engineering actually got it a little wrong with the 1st generation?

alex yates said:
jaychief said:

It is........but did they tell you how and why? It's not just down to caning the car cold. Did they also tell you it's more common in tiptronics as they set off in 2nd gear and the torque exerted on the engine at low revs doesn't half cause some damage. There's umpteen different scenarios that accelerate the process.

I'll bet 99% of Porsche drivers don't know how it's caused.

The fact that its more prevalent in 3.8 than 3.6 cars and as Alex says more common in Tips than manuals can't mean its all down to the driver but I struggle with why as its in relatively low numbers of cars so why some and not others is what puzzles me. you would think that anyone who buys a 3.6 tip is not likely to be someone who canes it but I have even heard of examples of this that are scored very very few I admit but still some. and why have the hundreds of thousands of others on the road not suffered with scoring. :?: :dont know:

I put a post on a Facebook page about the 3.8's and borescoring the general consensus was just to get it checked and not worry about it.

Yes it happens but it was great to see there was more positive comment v's negative. Always someone with a gen 2 to chip in though.

If aimed at me, prior to my gen 2, I had a gen 1.....

If I didn't love these cars I wouldn't have had another.

daz parker said:
I put a post on a Facebook page about the 3.8's and borescoring the general consensus was just to get it checked and not worry about it.

Yes it happens but it was great to see there was more positive comment v's negative. Always someone with a gen 2 to chip in though.

Thats the right view :thumb: get it borescoped then follow the recommended risk minimising options. :thumb: :thumb: alternatively you could buy a grey suit adopt a sad , pale, bland look and get a euro box drive and watch depreciate hourly. :grin:

cliffbase said:
If aimed at me, prior to my gen 2, I had a gen 1.....

If I didn't love these cars I wouldn't have had another.

Did you think I am that at you?

If so is wasn't honest!

Any car will wear out its bores eventually.

Seems this generation of engine has a weak point meaning some do it a little prematurely.

I would either:
a) avoid this generation
b) buy a car without score and don't use it (garage queen)
c) buy one thats had the bores replaced
d) be prepared to pay for the work to fix it at some point (you might never have to) or unscrupulously sell it on when the signs are there

I did a)

jaychief said:
To be fair I only do 2/3000 miles a year.

Mileage plays little part in bore-scoring.

jaychief said:
On my 5th JCW mini don't want to make 6 :sad:

:floor: :floor: My other cars a range rover, I must be just longing to spend money at a garage somewhere , Still the issues with range rover make the 997.1 seem like the gold star in car engines. :grin: do I sleep at night "yes very well" :grin:

just get one you like with normal mileage, (or higher mileage with a rebuild) get it borescoped and look after it as per the many guides on here and it will serve you well 8)

Even when suffering from bore score they will go on for thousands of miles, I do not see all the fuss about it.
IMS is a different story, saving for my Hartech build and keeping the car forever !
Nowt wrong with it for now though :thumbs:

So, I don't go over 3000 rpm until it's warmed up, and keep the oil topped up (uses some, not much, perfectly normal!) but this thread begs the question, what else should I be/not be doing?

Anyone who says avoid this generation of 997 is an idiot in my book. Incredible cars, tiny percentage will have a problem, and as far as value for money goes they are just stupendous.

Are 3.6's really much better than 3.8's? Far far fewer 3.6s out there, so not sure its a fair comparison.......?

Oh, 2007 C2S manual cabrio in case you're wondering. Work from home, doesn't get driven in traffic much at all, and quite often I will go further than I need to so as to warm the car properly, rather than doing the quick trip to Tesco......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back