Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering noise

ian_alex

I have just started to get what I can best describe as a groaning noise from the front when the steering is on full left lock!
I haven't looked at the suspension yet but car drives as normal. Oil level check seems to suggest too high as there is a cold and a hot level and it is on the hot one when cold.
I have not touched this in my 2 years of ownership and have had no previous steering issues.
Any ideas before I get in there?
Thanks for any assistance.

Noises on steering can be caused by a leak in the PAS system , if air gets in then it causes a whireing noise as the bubbles move through the system.

oil at max and you havent topped it up would tend to lean away from this .. also it would be apparent on both locks and not just one .

Steering rack internal leaks are not uncommon though .. you can often see the rack gaiters damp on one or both sides if it is this .

My feeling is its a suspension issue .. a dry ball joint perhaps .. jack up and test plus bounce the car to see if there is any play or noises .

Sound clip of the noise if possible please as that helps a lot .

Thanks for the usual analytical reply Demort.
Nothing leaking so I am inclined towards creaking joint somewhere. On a Spanish road trip at present so will investigate when I get home next week.
No noises today so its intermittent!

My lower coffin arms were groaning when hot (this noise would disappear when i'd left it for a while but would eventually return), a good way to check the ball joints for creaking is to pierce the rubber protector cover with a pin and squirt silicone spray grease via the narrow applicator tube into the joint, this will only cure it for a few days/week but will help identify which joint is playing up as it can be tricky to diagnose. Obviously only do one joint at a time!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back