Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 M030 suspension refresh query

Leon1davies

As my front struts have started to corroded I began looking at different options for refreshing the suspension and was considering fitting the M030 kit...but much to my satisfaction I found out I already had it fitted.

It's cheaper to buy the full M030 kit from OPC than it is to just buy the front elements so I've decided I'll pick up the full kit and gradually replace all the parts.

Apart from it being a new set of springs, am I going to notice a huge difference replacing all the elements from the kit or will I find more of a difference from replacing the bushes etc?

Hi Leon,
having ridden in Dammit's Ohlins damped car, I've started saving up!

best
Mike

Really that much difference with the ohlins? Hmm whilst I'd like to keep it standard coil overs are tempting

Hi Leon,
I like to keep my car standard or at least go for genuine Porsche upgrades but the M030 stuff is getting on now as far as design goes.

My car has 70k mile old M030 from the factory and it's ok. My mates have nearly new M030 and it's "fine" and another has fully rebuilt KWV3s and that's another level as far as ride quality and compliance go.

So whilst I was happy to fit new M030 next winter, I'm not anymore. :grin:

Trouble is proper coilovers are damn expensive. Keep a look out though as they do pop up second hand.
There's a guy on here selling KWs but they are GT3 so you have to cobble together some custom droplinks to get them on a C2, plus they're a bit pricey. A grand is a fair price for used KWs.
KW also stick it up you if you send them for rebuild. My mate could write a book about that.

You can get Bilstein PSS9/10s for about £500 second hand. They are very good and can be rebuilt by Bilstein UK for £85+ vat per corner.

Then there's Ohlins etc which are slightly better again but rarely come up used yet as there quite recent for the 996.

Then there's the likes of Exe-tc's, which are "other-worldly", but cost about half the price of our cars. :wink:

Leon1davies said:
Really that much difference with the ohlins? Hmm whilst I'd like to keep it standard coil overs are tempting

It's a good question, that's why I wanted to try his car. My M030 is still in good order but driving my brother's new Cayman showed me how much suspension has improved in 20 years, the ride in particular is superb. Dammit's car has had a full refresh and setup by CG and is very taut but is also rides very well over London's broken roads.
My current thinking is that my car doesn't need doing yet but if I do it now, I get the benefits of the better ride sooner rather than later. Rich (ELA) has done his car and says that he finds the ride very good but his car is now far from standard. 911 & Porsche World are impressed too, see this month.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back