Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

damage caused to interior dash by windscreen fitter

P911X50

Hi

I've had my windscreen fitted on Friday. When the job was completed I rolled the 996 tt back into the garage after inspecting the bodywork for the tiniest os marks.

The next morning I got into my car and to my horror I found that he had marked/creased my dashboard in 3 or 4 area. I have raised a complaint with the company and wondered whether this is a easy repair or I would need a new dashboard. There are three areas where there has been damage.

I have attached one of the pics. showing 2 semi circle marks? any ideas what could have caused it and how much to repair?

Thanks

Attachments

• damage_1_157.jpg
    damage_1_157.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 5,186
:?

I can't see why a windscreen fitter would have been anywhere near that area of the car.

That looks like your keys/keyring have marked the dash from swinging while in the ignition... You'll see a perfect arc from the keyhole. Maybe you just haven't noticed before?

1st post Tomo. You aren't the windscreen fitter are you? :grin:
Just joking and welcome. :thumb:

P911 I can't think what they'd be doing around that area either but I feel your pain as a fitter I used once scratched my colour coded centre console on my GT3.
It's really annoying as the windscreen is one job off the list, but those dipsticks have added another job onto the list.

I hope you find a decent remedy. Contact some leather repairers. They may be able to manipulate the leather a bit to lose it.

As has been said, it is a perfect arc to the keyhole mind. You don't have one of those heavy Porsche brake disc keyrings do you?

Try a hair dryer to see if that will help in removing the creases. Have a look on youtube for the technique

There are companys / mobiles that can repair this sort of thing .

Ive fixed similar marks on seats with a hot leather .. hold it in a bucket of hot water then apply to the affected area .. this will soffen the leather which can then be manipulated .. a spoon as suggested will work .

As mentioned .. im dubious this has been caused by the screen being fitted , when they cut them out then they are no where near the ignition and the tools used would do far more damge to the leather than that .

Interested to see any other pictures though as one of my favourite comments is " Since you " .

Looks like the footprint of a double windscreen sucker. Probably pulled your screen into position levering the otherside on you dash.

HTB1eubCIFXXXXb0XpXXq6xXFXXXH.jpg

... Does look like that tho - strange thing to do :?:

Thanks for the comments and tips,

I know every inch of my 996, it's currently a garage queen as I'm trying to future proof it.

There are three areas where there is damage (unfortunately, doesn't show in some pictures due to light). The damage near the key is creased and you can feel the scrape which is a perfect circle, there are no scratches and I would have noticed this many moons ago.

The fitter did spend a lot of time in the drivers seat sorting out the interior lights which need to be removed and refitted. It does look like he held the window up against the dash. God know why he did that if he did. Nevertheless, I am certain that mark was not there.

The second mark is actually a series of scratches across the passenger side of the windscreen. He was using a thin metal wire and I recall him using it to cut through the rubber sealant prior to removing the windscreen.

They have agreed to come out on Friday to have a look.

Thanks for the tips. I will check these out later tonight.

In that case, could be his cutting wire reel, as seen stuck on the dash here:

hqdefault.jpg

The fitter will know instantly what's done it. Watch the red come up his neck when he sees it and the vacant look on his face :nooo:

Hi Alex,

Can you please send me the link to the video.

Thanks

Thanks Alex, this is very useful, much appreciated.

That looks like what could have happened.

I even gave him a tenner and a couple of bottles of bud, before he even started the job and asked if he could not rush the job and ensure that there is absolutely no damage to the car. And what happens!! :roll:

Next time I am staying with the car and will stand over him with a baseball bat raised far above my head, just waiting for the tiniest mistake. :frustrated: You just trust anyone 'treat your car as if it's our own', what a load of :x

Epic fail - giving a man alcohol before he starts work on your car. :what:

Hopefully he'll admit he's done the damage and be able to rectify it.......or pay for rectification.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back