Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery Replacement

Dave Smith

Just replaced my battery for the 3rd time in 9 years.

Last 2 were OEM ones fitted by Porsche as it was under warranty at the time. Each lasted just over 4 years before dying, despite being on a CTEK trickle charger throughout. First one died on the day it was delivered...

One thing I noticed when I checked the old battery was it had lost a large amount of acid (so plates were exposed and starting to warp). Not sure if the reconditioning mode of the CTEK had perhaps killed it.

This time I have gone for a Bosch S5 A11 (80Ah AGM) which I hope will last a bit longer.

I managed to get the old battery out and new one in whilst keeping power to the car by keeping the charger attached to the terminals (I had put the ignition key into first position as well).

The battery is a bit of a pig to get out due to weight and location and in case it helps anybody else the main lip holding it in is on the back (scuttle) edge - so you need to lift itup at the front to get it out.

Nice to work on the car for a change and actually fix it :)

Great tip re the retaining lip on the back. Swapped my battery out last weekend and couldn't believe how heavy it was (until I realised the retaining lip was holding it in place) :oops:

Bosch S5 is the best option for longevity and cranking power. Should serve you well.

As you say they're not the lightest. The positioning is good for weight distribution in the car, but not so good for the lower back. :wink:

2 years ago I replaced my battery with a "power line" brand from tayna.co.uk, £42 next day delivered.

Has been perfect for 2 winters and over 10k miles so far. Car cranks and starts on the button in the depths of frosty mornings.... fingers crossed it lasts at least another winter.

No need for a CTEK, my car gets driven!

PS you should go and weigh in your old batteries, last time scrap was this high I got a tenner.

Its a bit akward getting the battery out ..

Put some towels or car mat covers in the front boot then climb in , you can find a comfortable position then lift out the battery .. thats what i do .

Bosch batterys do need some " jiggleing " to fit in the tray ..

Original Porsche Moll batterys are er.. not very good shall we say .. the new red tops are far better .. but not cheap .

My car let me down on Friday :sad: Just a flat battery though, so I'll forgive it. I fitted a new Bosch S5 yesterday, the largest that would fit. Change to clean the battery tray too.
Easy out and in by standing under the bonnet, as suggested .
I fitted a trickle charger tail while I was at it.

All good again now :)

Attachments

• dsc_0346_197.jpg
    dsc_0346_197.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,668
  • dsc_0345_141.jpg
    dsc_0345_141.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,668

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members