Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Banger-nomics?

Not bad Plynchy. 2004 so should have the better gearbox?

My wife had a cooper years ago but it used to bug me. Ok when driving like an idiot but a pain otherwise. It still had runflats on etc though and was an '03 with the chocolate gearbox.

As a shed though that should serve you well if you don't have any of the common failures.

If it keeps the good cars clean, that's all that matters. :thumb:

PS, Dammit does it in style again. How long is your commute dammit?
I cycle 14 miles each way but only a couple of times a week through winter.
More during summer obviously.

Sadly not that far anymore - depends on the route of course by my typical journey to work is only 12km. I have a slightly different route which I use when I run in and that's (handily) bang on 10k.

If I pop up to Regents Park after work for an hour I can hit 50km as I roll up to the front door, which means I've earned my dinner.

Marky911 said:
Not bad Plynchy. 2004 so should have the better gearbox?

My wife had a cooper years ago but it used to bug me. Ok when driving like an idiot but a pain otherwise. It still had runflats on etc though and was an '03 with the chocolate gearbox.

As a shed though that should serve you well if you don't have any of the common failures.

If it keeps the good cars clean, that's all that matters. :thumb:

PS, Dammit does it in style again. How long is your commute dammit?
I cycle 14 miles each way but only a couple of times a week through winter.
More during summer obviously.

It's running the old 5 speed unit, not ideal but a replacement can be had for £350 and looks a doddle to change if it does go pear shaped.

It's come with a recent bill for nearly £800 :eek: for the clutch etc. It appears to have been well looked after mechanically, and has cleaned up surprisingly well. Great little thing to chuck about, reminds me of my old 205 GTI's etc in a good way. :thumbs:

Dammit - Yes that's a good commuting distance. I'd rather mine was 5-8 miles to be honest.
I've just had a poke about on the Talbot website. Some cool stuff on there. Yours popped up. Porsche paint and Di2. For the win. 8)

Plynchy - Ah well, as long as the box isn't making strange noises it should be good for a while and yes it sounds like it's been looked after.
They are great fun. Only problem is they egg you on to drive like a 17 year old every time you get in. :grin:

Good luck with it anyway. :thumb:

plynchy said:
So after a lot of hassle and discussion, this got delivered today (the Mini, not the 996) to start my bangernomics journey. 75k miles, just had clutch, bushes etc, loads of history.

QIUsDP9.jpg

L9T88qU.jpg
:roll:

More to the point nice Saphire Cossy! Got any more pics? :worship:

On the banger subject I'm thinking of going back to a cheaper daily runner. I have a 320d M Sport Tourer at the moment which I love...it's only a couple of years old and a really nice spec but get jarred off with disrespectful people not giving a ***** wherever I park....I very fastidious with my cars, and it's always a worry wherever you leave it. I'm thinking of getting a cheaper daily runner but I am tied with certain criteria from my company and allowance. Car has to be 4+ doors, no older than 7 years old and 130g co2 or less.

Mrs C has a Disco 4 which she loves, however reckons she spends £150 a month on fuel - last weekend we traded in my old ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I bought on EBay 5 years ago for a grand, against a Nissan Leaf EV and got two grand for it........PCP on the Leaf over three years was £150 a month - free motoring by my man maths calculation.......almost.

So this thread continues.

Whilst bored at work last trip I spotted what appeared to be a bargain 325i Touring. 2 owners, 70k miles, 2005. I've got a Boxer now that doesn't want to fit in the Mini so an estate was instantly justified in my man maths department.

Bit of to and fro and I picked the thing up from Bristol on Sunday. It needs a bit of TLC and a serious valet but the engine is sooooooooo smooth. Achieved 36mpg on the 300 mile run home at 70-90. Gave it a going over and a clean on the ramps yesterday, underside is spotless, no leaks anywhere.

Buyer lined up for the Mini, same price I paid for it. Happy days.

:thumbs:

Perfect Bangernomics :thumbs:

PS I got the Cossie out for a clean last week (after 4 years :eek:) :thumb:

When I used to commute to London I bought myself a cheap (£1500.) Skoda Fabia diesel. Used it for 2 1/2 years, only had stuff done that was essential, suspension bushes if I remember correctly, didn't even change the oil. 40k miles later sold it for £900.

Probably could have started off with a cheaper car. Refreshing not having to worry about where it's parked etc was an added bonus.

At the moment I'm leasing a Nissan Leaf (~200/month) and commuting costs 4p/mile in electricity. 3 year warranty, road assistance, 0 road tax etc. and I'll hand it back. I am considering buying a Saab or a Volvo for the next few years and hope for the best. I am in two minds whether it's worth to take a punt at an older car and deal with expense of running it, or just lease something new (there's some ridiculous deals out there, like <200/month for a hyundai i10) and don't have anything to worry about in terms of failures.

I personally run an old 320d with 216,000 on it and a M3 (wife has a new fiat 500).

Having a banger (albeit a mechanically sound one) really dose come in useful when I go places where I wouldn't want to take or leave my nice car. I also use the diesel when I go on a mundane trip to keep needless miles of the M3.

2005 Yaris T-Sport, technically the other halfs but tend to use it and save the 911 for special trips rather than work and round town as she commutes by train.
It's gone from doing approx 2500 miles a year to about 10000 which she occasionally moans about :D

I also find it makes the drives I do in the 911 more special and means no driving in heavy traffic or towns

...my daily was a BMW 630i coupe which was a lovely thing but recent job change means city driving thus sold it and bought a honda jazz sport! Has 2 more spark plugs than the Porsche!! Easy 50mpg and surprisingly good to drive...

1995 Mercedes sl lives in the garage and the 996 will live on the drive once I get it back following the mega bill engine rebuild...might buy a car tent for the winter though as don't think it will benefit from being Sat out in the rain...my wife tells me that it's not made of paper...of course not;we all know it's chocolate...

Iansta said:
2005 Yaris T-Sport, technically the other halfs but tend to use it and save the 911 for special trips rather than work and round town as she commutes by train.

I also find it makes the drives I do in the 911 more special and means no driving in heavy traffic or towns

Pretty much the same for me but a few grand 08 Leon Tdi. Its boring to drive and rattly derv but serves a purpose and the days I do take the 911 makes it so much better.

cvega said:
I am in two minds whether it's worth to take a punt at an older car and deal with expense of running it, or just lease something new (there's some ridiculous deals out there, like <200/month for a hyundai i10) and don't have anything to worry about in terms of failures.

Hi cvega
You don't have to lease an I10 to make it make economic sense. Not quite Banger-nomics, but in 10 years of I10 ownership, absolutely nothing has failed or needed replacement - no I lie, an exhaust box started blowing at 4.5 years old, so Hyundai generously fitted a complete system under warranty - 5 year warranty remember, so that is the reason why I don't count it.

On 1st Sept 2008, we bought an I10 for our sons to go to Uni for the princely sum of £6495. Apart from the exhaust and routine servicing, it has never had a day off the road! Last week it was MOTd by the main dealer with 90K miles on it and passed with no advisories. Their valuation of the car for Pt Ex was £1500. So £5000 depreciation for 10 years use. I took out a 5 yrs service deal for £500 when bought. I now do my own services, £60 main service, £35 minor using Hyundai parts! 1 set of new brakes in that time, dealer fitted £340! Tyres OE replacements at £35 each - that is less than I pay for my cycle tyres! Vittoria Graphene+! Insurance £160 per year for all family use. AirCon topped up once £40! and that's it. Same clutch, same battery, same shockers and I have reasonable expectations that with the same level of maintenance, it could go another 10 years without significant costs. No whines, no clunks and regular 40 - 45 mpg. Will cruise at 85MPH no problem and used it a few times to go into Europe as it is the only car I have a roof rack for my bike! Runs better than some of the similar hire cars I have had on holiday hire. Basic motoring, but I think it is pretty remarkable. One final thing, it is the best car I have for the snow. Better than my C4, and other company daily drivers I have had like an XFR (known to be poor) and my current S4! What's not to like! I think we will keep it a while longer.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back