Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Adjustable Drop Links

crash7

Considering them for a 996, how beneficial are they in the real world?

Where did you source them?

Cheers

I have used them for years on the old nail. Fronts are Tarett extended droplinks and bloody expensive ($500). They are very different in design to standard:

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997...6-986-front-drop-link-set-EXTFDLNK-detail.htm

The advantage is that they have a more optimal angle of operation on the ARB and steering the wheels doesn't bind the ARB like the standard ones do.
The downside has proven to be lack of durability, although I suspect most people will never break them; it took me over 100 trackdays to break mine near the top of the neck. I note that the replacements I got have been slightly redesigned in the crucial area so they may not suffer in the same way. It will likely take me years to find out.

I had a set of the Tarett rear droplinks originally but they fell to bits inside 6 months (my ARBs are 50% stiffer than standard so maybe a bit too much for them). My indie made me a set out of hex rod & Rose joints that have proved to be very durable (and cheaper than the Tarett items).

Fitting rubber boots to the joints will extend their life massively. Make sure you check for deteriorating joints regularly because they will go from silent to knocking their heads off in a few ,000 road miles (or a single trackday).

The main reason for fitting adjustable droplinks is ease of ensuring no preload of the ARB after corner weighting. As far as durability over the standard ones, it's marginal at best unless you have upgraded the ARBs & the standard items are simply too weak to cope with the increased loads.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back