Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Old tyres - How safe .

I have an old set of Conti's Porsche N rated on my 944, they are in great condition and came with the wheels I bought for it, they had been stored in a shed for around 5 years previously and as they weren't out in the elements they are in top condition, they have hardened a little over time as they would but I use that tyre softener that itsdashy mentions above with good results. I have used it for years when I used to do drag racing and it brings life back into old tyres tread. As long as they are not cracked they should be fine.

vlad said:
Would you / is it safe to buy, new tyres with a manufactured date 5 years on the past?

They are close to end of life now, how long do you expect them to last? Of course it depends on how how many miles you do, if you only expect to have them on for a couple of years that may be ok.

Norfolk & Idea said:
Johnny Graham said:
I just bought a set of used bridgestones for the back of my 996T off eBay, 7mm tread, no worries I thought.

Date code on them? 2003!! :eek: I am wrapping them to send them back to the seller as we speak. My stupid fault for not checking first, but..be careful out there..

Did exactly the same thing for my track day bike. Thought I'd got a bargain but it was shagged after 1 day. And no, I'm not Rossi.
When I checked the date stamp it was 6 years old. Surprisingly the grip level was ok....

I got my Yamaha R1 back on the road last year after after a good few years of not using it due to family/house etc. I spent the summer wringing the absolute neck of it on the back roads every time I went out on it. Then as winter last year approached I decided to fit some new tyres on it and was quite shocked when I saw the old ones were dated 2004 !!!! I had no problem at all with any grip, but it did make me shudder thinking of some of the knee down cornering id been doing on tyres which were 12 years old etc.

Age of tyres

Having worked in the Insurance business for 18 years prior to retirement during the investigation and assessment of major motor claims and write-offs, payment of claims were reduced because of the age of the vehicles' tyres. I recall the odd case when no payment was made due to tyres being over age. I bet the average age of most tyres on private cars today are nearer 10 years.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back