Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sport design refurb

coullstar

Might be splitting a set of these soon and just wondered if they are like some of the other BBS designs where the face is bolted to the barrel therefore in theory you done need to remove tyres?

Note also do they generally come apart okay or are they notorious for bolts seizing?

Also Im assuming mating faces also have to be metal to metal i.e. no powdercoating or paint.

Anyone done a DIY on them?

If they are anything like other BBS 2 piece rims of similar style the bolts may be a pig to remove, would soak them in DW40 or the like over night before attempting to remove them!

If it's the BBS Sport Classic II you have then they are two piece and the faces can be removed if a DIY or face only refurb is the route going.

If you haven't got a face removal tool then get ready with a block of wood and a lump hammer as they're bound to be quite firmly seated.

Be careful to get no paint or powdercoat build up on the outer lip that sits inside the barrel as the tiniest amount will cause you problems when trying to re-seat the face. :thumb:

C.

I have a spare set that I need to get refurb'd... anyone recommend anyone? (cheap as they are only going to be track wheels)

My wheels were 'professionally' refurbished by previous owner in 2013. The car had been used very sparingly until my ownership. Anyway, earlier this year in Germany, I had noticed a ticking noise at the rear of the car after a few VMAX attempts. I thought it could be wheel bearing, but then my mechanic traced it to 'loose split-rim bolts'.

It would seem the refurb was not done to the highest standard as some of the bolts were loose / finger-tight, some threads damaged with a few bolts 'super-glued' back on the the split-rims.

In the end my mechanic stripped the wheels, 're-sleeved' and then fitted new bolts (all 80 of them).

At least the new bolts are made from Titanium so saved a few grams. :roll:

Attachments

• 19398535_10213110626942439_940049917_n_101.jpg
    19398535_10213110626942439_940049917_n_101.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 4,585
  • 19398663_10213110625982415_1756627149_n_593.jpg
    19398663_10213110625982415_1756627149_n_593.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4,585
  • 19433725_10213110626462427_1536285733_n_822.jpg
    19433725_10213110626462427_1536285733_n_822.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 4,585
coullstar said:
:eek: jesus.

Im thinking 5 spoke Carrera wheels now anyway or smoothing else. Split rims suit the aero cars better.

I won't name the company but anyone thinking of one in Wiltshire then beware. (welcome to pm me)

5-spoke really suit non-aero car. Even for my aerokit I think they don't look half bad. I also think the car is lighter on its feet; 10 kg unsprung weight reduction does make a difference. Placebo effect or not!

Attachments

• img_2547_50_514.jpg
    img_2547_50_514.jpg
    978.5 KB · Views: 4,525
Carrera are amongst the lightest 18" wheels you can buy. Definitely a good thing :thumb:

Hi C,

I'll be DIYing my GT3 rims over winter.
I bought them and both parts have been powder coated, the rim/barrel and the centre.
Fearing the worst, as most people powdercoat the rims if they're knackered, I sanded the powdercoat off around one rim and it's perfect.

So I've bought a set of triple hex bits. M8 is the one for our bolts.
I've also bought some paint stripper.

I'll remove the bolts and split the wheels. My centres are mint, so I'll leave as they are.
I'll paint strip the rim/barrel and check all rims are good. I'll then polish up myself or more than likely get a local polishing company to polish them, then I'll have the barrels powdercoated silver after carefully masking the polished lips.

The things that could stop you doing a diy refurb are -

1) Some bolts snap. A wheel guy I spoke to says he put the wheels in his oven first and the bolts crack off easier. I'll improvise and get some heaters on them in the garage for a while before I try.

2) If the rims have been powdercoated and you remove it to find old kerb damage filled on the rims. These would need welding and turning back down.

I'm going for polishing as it removes less material and looks nicer as you don't have machining marks from a lathe.
You can only diamond cut (re-machine) these rims about 3 times then there's no meat left on. So again polishing is the safer option.

I once had a set stripped, centres coated, rims diamond cut and one or two bolts replaced by Chris at exel Wheels. They were nice enough although the rims weren't quite as nice as on another set I had. Different feeds and speeds on the lathe I guess.
The cost was £650 ish including shipping back to me.

A local company up here wants £290 to do them plus £25 per rim to diamond cut providing there's enough material on to cut. So £390.
I've never used them though but they get a good rep locally.
RS Alloy in Hartlepool.

I'll be leaving my rims un-laquered, that way I can polish them with metal polish. I wouldn't recommend using them in salty conditions like that though.

The trouble with laquer is it chips and corrosion gets in underneath and everything goes milky and white.

Like I say I'll be doing mine soon. First thing is to get the rims stripped so you know what you have.
Then even if you send them to a refurb place they can't claim there's more work needed e.g. Welding up kerb damage etc.

I'm not saying they would and certainly not suggesting anything towards Exel. Chris was great to deal with. I just mean if you choose a lesser known refurb place. :thumb:

Edited to add -

Here's where I first sanded through the coating on the rim to be greeted by a perfect lip.

EGTE said:
Carrera are amongst the lightest 18" wheels you can buy. Definitely a good thing :thumb:

That's one of the reasons I bought them.

To add, what I found interesting was that the Ohlin's dropped 20kg of weight off the car (B4's before).

Thanks, yeah getting varying quotes for a split and refurb. I've put the 5 spokes on tonight and quite like them. Will see how it goes and might just sell on the Sport Designs.

I did soak the bolts in plus gas and used an impact driver on one and it came out no bother.
I've only got two rims of bother and was going for a light grey centre so might just get outer rims repainted in silver.

Yes you can't beat the 5 spokes for weight but the Spprt Designs are THE best looking wheel on a 996.1. Maybe only trumped by the Sport Classic split rims if the car is not wearing an Aerokit.

This is my mate Jamie's 996.1 C2.
Grey centres with chrome powedercoat on the rims.

They're filthy in the pic as we were half way around the NC500.
They look lovely but for me personally, anything other than polished metal for the lip is a cheat. :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back