Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo Engine Issues

shantybeater said:
Could be car going into 'limp' mode? do you lose all boost after the event occurs?
It's difficult to say as your natural reaction once you feel the car doing that is to momentarily step off the accelerator , I haven't tried accelerating through it to see what happens

If it's a fuelling issue that is causing the observed symptoms then accelerating through it could melt a piston- so you are doing the right thing.

If it's fuel this should be showing in the fault codes though- suddenly running lean when boost passes a certain threshold.

So finally some good news and hopefully the car should be back with me later today and ready to boost/start properly again!
Turns out the fuel pump is knackered and needs replacing which I don't know the ins and outs but I guess wasn't showing on the diagnostics as my Indy have spent a number of hours further investigating and test driving to no avail before locating the issue
Bit frustrating from my perspective as I have to ultimately pay for that investigation but glad it's fixed , to add to matters my front radiator has decided to go at the same time so my Indy have replaced that but its cost enough without the radiator could have done without that !
Will update later but all being well back to be able normal behaviour on boost will full acceleration being delivered !

Diagnosis isn't always easy and without a fault code it can be difficult to know where to start .

The fuel pressure system wont give a fault code as there no way the car can see whats going on .. no sensors are fitted to this system.

Lambda and fuel trim are long term diagnostics the car monitors which would be unlikely to register a fault with this type of problem .

To Test then you would either need it to not start which was your first fault but ok after that time ..

Or you would need to pressure test it , that would only be at idle so it would need 2 people to drive and monitor the fuel pressure at higher RPM .. hence the cost here i would think .

Demort said:
Diagnosis isn't always easy and without a fault code it can be difficult to know where to start .

The fuel pressure system wont give a fault code as there no way the car can see whats going on .. no sensors are fitted to this system.

Lambda and fuel trim are long term diagnostics the car monitors which would be unlikely to register a fault with this type of problem .

To Test then you would either need it to not start which was your first fault but ok after that time ..

Or you would need to pressure test it , that would only be at idle so it would need 2 people to drive and monitor the fuel pressure at higher RPM .. hence the cost here i would think .
it takes 5 minutes or less to check fuel pressure at idle - testing what it is on boost ( assuming the tech knows what the fuel pressure should do a certain levels of boost ) involves teeing off, running a fuel line through the slats in the rear spoiler and putting a gauge on the rear window with a tech sitting in the back seat reading it whilst driver is reading boost - a pretty crude method but works - a pump can be fine at idle but not making the correct pressure on boost. I highly doubt this was done as you cannot rig that in only two hours and test.

My guess was they spent more than a couple of hours and thats how they diagnosed it .. a test at idle would show nothing wrong unless they got the non start fault again .

Then again they could just have listened to the customer , realised there was more than one thing going on and also that a fuel pump fault wont trigger a code and diagnose it that way .. i did .

Btw .. it takes longer than 5 mins to test at idle .. it takes me 10 mins just to find the kit ;)

I take it the standard ECU doesn't monitor fuel pressure then.

Seeing as I'm running a syvecs, I can add the sensor. Where would be the best place?

sim996 said:
I take it the standard ECU doesn't monitor fuel pressure then.

Seeing as I'm running a syvecs, I can add the sensor. Where would be the best place?

I can sort you out for a fuel pressure sensor. I will be running Syvecs in the future too.

MC

There is no fuel pressure sensor on our cars. I have a separate standalone gauge in my car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back