Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I've stopped dreaming about my next 911.

Shaoxter said:
Out of interest why do you have to have 4WD?

It might be psychological but after 8 years owning them I find the extra security of 4wd 911s comforting on damp/wet roads.

As far as the 991 goes the rear red reflector is a big + too. :grin:

T8 said:
Shaoxter said:
Out of interest why do you have to have 4WD?

It might be psychological but after 8 years owning them I find the extra security of 4wd 911s comforting on damp/wet roads.

As far as the 991 goes the rear red reflector is a big + too. :grin:

The 991 rear reflector does look excellent, much better than the 997.2 effort. But you're paying something like a £10k premium for a slower car... :?:

Shaoxter said:
But you're paying something like a £10k premium for a slower car... :?:

:floor: I'd be losing 4 mph if I went for a 2S so another 3 or 4 won't make much difference. I'm pretty sure 185 will be enough for most of my needs. :wink:

I did the GT experience last month at Silverstone. On the menu that day:

* 991.2 GTS (just to check you can actually drive before they let you lose on the GT cars.)
* 991 GT3
* 991 GT3 RS
* 997 GT2

The contrast between 991 and 996/7 is subtle in dynamics, but significant in terms of size and the aesthetics of the interior. As any 'everyday', do it all car, a 991 of any guise would be lovely and, no doubt, the bells, whistles, trinkets and baubles of the much newer dash would likely also offer useful functionality, but... they look very, very 'busy' compared to the no nonsense 996 dash.

I am totally convinced that my future is with either the 996 turbo, or a GT3. Whilst the 991 GT3 is very, very good, I think my heart would always want a Mezger powered example. The dilemma is; can I justify spending more than twice what the turbo is worth to trade up?

T8 Write Up 991.2S

Terry

Really interesting feedback on the 991.2S.
Looks like I will stick with my 997 Turbo for a long time,great car to drive
in any conditions..

I'm sure this thread will be really useful for those having the same considerations!

So, another ten months have passed. Me and 'Red' have now been together for 41 months and covered just under 21,000 miles (including 6 wonderful Eurotours) in each other's company.

A few weeks ago, as mileage crept beyond 68k miles, I once again seriously considered changing her for something newer as I fully intend to continue doing 6k a year in whatever 911 I own. This time I even got as far as making the requisite cash immediately accessible in case the right car came up.

From the day I bought my car the only one I'd ever seen myself moving on to was a 991.1C4S and I had hoped that by now asking prices would be in the right ball park for me to make that move. Sadly all but high mileage examples are still c£65k so the 'cost to change' is still significant - to the point that I briefly entertained the idea of settling for an early 991C2 or perhaps a newer 981 Cayman S - both great cars to drive - before concluding that going for either would be too many bhp for me to lose in one go.

On the way back from a great run to Donington a couple of weeks ago my odometer clicked past 69k and I set myself the target of making a decision by the end of July, by which time I knew that 70k would be looming larger.

My mind kept going back to the Guards Red Mezger Tiptronic enthusiast that I met a few weeks ago who'd given me his number begging for first refusal should I ever want to sell. The £££s we were talking meant I'd never get a better deal on mine.

Last week I noticed that my local OPC have got a 2013 991C4S in stock and by chance it happens to be in my second favourite colour (Agate Grey) so it seemed like fate was lending a helping hand in my decision making process.

I'd already promised myself a spot of early Sunday morning low-level flying in that direction so decided I'd do that first and then visit the OPC forecourt to get a better feel about the whole situation whilst both cars were standing in front of me.

After a thoroughly enjoyable and spirited 80 mile cross-country drive I parked Red and wandered across to ogle her possible replacement. I fell in love with the stance of the wide bodied 991 when I first saw one 6 years ago and I realised today that my feelings haven't changed. Contrary to what's often opined the 991 isn't significantly bigger than a 997. The longer wheelbase and taller rear end make it look bigger but the tape measure tells the actual story. As it happens the 991 was standing very near to a GT Silver 997.1 Turbo (also for sale) so a direct comparison was possible. I've always thought that the 997 hides its age well but there's no denying it does look dated next to the newer model. Not surprising given that the 991 is an eight year newer design.

I spent 10 minutes walking round the Grey car, despite quickly deciding that the price of this one would make it a non starter for me, with a view to establishing just how much more I liked it than my own. My mind kept thinking back to the day I'd driven them back to back (see the post that started this thread) and my eyes darted to and fro between this one and my own car. I have to admit that my heart is telling me that one day I will have a 991 but once again - for now at least - my head has ruled and I just can't find it in me to justify anything like the additional £15k-£18k that I'd need to put in.

Tomorrow I'll move the cash that's been burning a hole on my pocket into a One Year Bond and put the pathetic £400 interest it will earn towards next years service ............... before going through the whole decision making process again in 12 months time. :D

madalaa said:
Terry is the new Highway ........ :floor:

:grin: At least I'm driving my existing 911 whilst I'm procastrinating. :wink:

'Red" is a great car, enjoy the rest of the year in it.
I think wait for 992 to hit the roads next year, and see where the market is at :?:

askgeez said:
'Red" is a great car, enjoy the rest of the year in it.
I think wait for 992 to hit the roads next year, and see where the market is at :?:

:agree: Red is a very desirable car so it would be a bind to change it. The car you will change to needs to be special in a similar vein. Hence it will just appear at some point and will Probably be off-market I'm guessing. Just one of those things when the stars align :thumb:

Current market and the list price change from 997 to 991 ain't helping.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back