Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replace PCM1 - what next?

charandhindsa

Silverstone
Chaps,

The last time I looked into this, go to was a Pioneer Double Din.

My requirements:
iPhone integration - (i) full integration (ii) aux cable? (Any thing in between?)

SatNav - not bothered

Would like option to plug in a USB stick (possibly)

Definitely NO change to existing Bose Amp/Speakers..want something to directly swap out the PCM1 unit for something smart / OEM looking

Thanks

I recently replaced my PCM-1 with an Alpine INE-W990BT from these guys

All works and looks great although I need to investigate if I have the correct lead as the sound (or the speakers) is not very deep

I bought these from Design91.com1 to fit but used the hardness adapter rather than the active system - maybe that's where I went wrong :?

Active System Adapter. Porsche 911 (996) / 986 Boxster
(CT53-PO01)
1 £39.00 £39.00

Double Din Fascia Plate (Black). Porsche 911 (996) 1998-04
(CT23PO02)
1 £39.00 £39.00

Harness Factory Adapter To After Market Radio. Porsche 911 (996) / 986 Boxster
(CT20PO02)
1 £5.00 £5.00

Attachments

• inew990bt_183.jpg
    inew990bt_183.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3,116
Judder said:
I recently replaced my PCM-1 with an Alpine INE-W990BT from these guys

All works and looks great although I need to investigate if I have the correct lead as the sound (or the speakers) is not very deep

I bought these from Design91.com1 to fit but used the hardness adapter rather than the active system - maybe that's where I went wrong :?

Active System Adapter. Porsche 911 (996) / 986 Boxster
(CT53-PO01)
1 £39.00 £39.00

Double Din Fascia Plate (Black). Porsche 911 (996) 1998-04
(CT23PO02)
1 £39.00 £39.00

Harness Factory Adapter To After Market Radio. Porsche 911 (996) / 986 Boxster
(CT20PO02)
1 £5.00 £5.00

When your checking get them to make sure the amp is connected and running as the head unit has an amp built in so you will get sound but not loud and no base treble etc as the base speakers from what I remember runs through the amp . so you may only be getting mids and tweeters doing all the work and only running from the head units amp . :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
When your checking get them to make sure the amp is connected and running as the head unit has an amp built in so you will get sound but not loud and no base treble etc as the base speakers from what I remember runs through the amp . so you may only be getting mids and tweeters doing all the work and only running from the head units amp . :thumb:

Thanks Phil - that sounds exactly like my problem - sounded pretty average for a £500+ stereo system I was thinking!

I have gone back to Connects2 who make the lead(s) to ask them if I should be using the more expensive one as that has an "Active Plus" box and quotes "...of an aftermarket head unit into a vehicle with an OEM amplifier"

So might be the missing piece of the puzzle here - advice much appreciated :thumb:

I will report back...

Thread resurrection

The 996 TT I am getting has had the PCM removed in 2014 and replaced by a Pioneer touch screen with Bluetooth phone and Nav etc..

Have these systems moved on much since 2014 so worth changing again, now that its 6 years old ?

Can anyone recommend a good Audio place that could help. I live in Bexley which is near M25 J2 in London.

Ta.

Latest ones have Apple Car Play, Waze etc which would be good if you like that sort of thing.

This will sound like a really dumb question (as most of mine are), but how does one determine whether they have a fibre optic Bose MOST system or a simple one?

For reference mine is a '98C2 with a (dying) double din pcm1.0, navigation drive in dash, cd changer in frunk and what looks like an aftermarket kenwood amp mounted in there too.

I'm no audiophile but would like some sort of radio and Bluetooth connectivity so am looking at one of the android units to put in but haven't the faintest idea where to start.

I understand I'll need a wiring conversion loom to convert the Porsche wiring to fit a standard head unit but the correct one is based on whether I have a fibre optic system or not?

I've read a few posts on the forum but feel I'm missing some basics...any help gratefully received.

The fibre optic system came in with the facelift cars, BOSE or not.

I have a facelift with PCM1 Bose and I'm 99% sure it isn't fiber optic. I was led to believe from reading another thread on here a while back that the fiber optic came in on the Bose on PCM 2...

Shewie said:
Not sure whether its of interest. But it looks like Porsche are going to release there own replacement PCM double din head unit with CarPlay etc for 996 models. as part of their classic range. I dread to think what the price might be however!!! (edit - Teile.com have it priced at €1,521!!)

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod...e=996&mo=&pr=CEDC8FD21252AE9BC12584B90052B538

Saw that - very expensive and already slightly dated in terms of tech - i.e. no WiFi Carplay and camera integration (dashcams / reversing cameras etc).

Glad I'm not the only one that's confused!!

Mine is a '98 c2 and does have the cassette player in the pcm1 so based on the above would assume it's not fibre optic, therefore would this be the correct wiring harness adaptor:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con...ter-911-active-system-adapter-non-fibre-optic

If so, next question - Bose. Does the Bose unit have it obviously written on there somewhere on the componentry? Where should I be looking?

With the above harness can I just plug and play?

Cheers all

aerokit said:
Glad I'm not the only one that's confused!!

Mine is a '98 c2 and does have the cassette player in the pcm1 so based on the above would assume it's not fibre optic, therefore would this be the correct wiring harness adaptor:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con...ter-911-active-system-adapter-non-fibre-optic

If so, next question - Bose. Does the Bose unit have it obviously written on there somewhere on the componentry? Where should I be looking?

With the above harness can I just plug and play?

Cheers all

That will convert your existing wiring and allow plug and plug (as long as your new head unit is the same - very likely it will). I have just used this adapter on my Bose non fibre system).

How will you know if you have Bose? It will have Bose emblems on the speaker grills in the front (or check your build codes in your handbook).

To the OP who resurrected the thread, I took mine to Dynamic Sounds in Wandsworth, they were great and sorted everything on my C4S. They have done countless 911 upgrades and couldn't fault them from my experience.

I went for a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB which has Apple Car Play, touch screen and USB etc. It has that slightly 'older' look to it so it suits the overall interior of the car really well. Some units are so sleek and modern, they'd look out of place in and amongst the 996 dash IMO.

Well worth calling them and once the lockdown ends, i'm sure they'd easily be able to supply and install for you etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back