Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

Thanks chaps. :thumb:

Edit: Looks like front calipers are attached with 10mm hex and rears with 16mm bolts.

Worried that I might have provided duff information I have just taken both front and rear wheels off to check .

As the previous poster said - 10mm hex and front and 16mm socket on back.

But referring back to the original post, Madge did say REAR Brakes.

I really must read these things more carefully.

Attachments

• img_0494_211.jpg
    img_0494_211.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5,874
Cameltoe & Heel said:
Kat1 said:
I believe you need a 10mm hex key socket to remove the calliper mounting bolts. (also called six point hex socket key)

Given the torque involved, I suggest it is mounted in a 1/2" drive socket. There is too much flex using 3/8" drive.

Whilst they need to be tightened to 85Nm (62ftlb) there can be corrosion between the calliper and the bolt if which necessitates even more effort to undo.

I will normally use an 18" breaker bar to "crack" the bolt off.

No, these bolts simply hold the caliper assembly together and are not used to mount the caliper to the hub, which I think is what OP was asking?.

Trev
Yep don't undo those you'll be in Dickie's meadow. Trickiest bit is releasing the handbrake shoes and getting the old wear sensors out without them crumbling. Jackal's blog covers it nicely. TBH is a real easy job.

Kat1 said:
Worried that I might have provided duff information I have just taken both front and rear wheels off to check .

As the previous poster said - 10mm hex and front and 16mm socket on back.

But referring back to the original post, Madge did say REAR Brakes.

I really must read these things more carefully.

Cool garage BTW :thumb:

Amber front indicators arrived today and fitted this evening. All looking good.

MilSub said:
A few things recently ..

Brake Pressure Switch - due to failure

Rubber fan shroud duct - due to disintegrating

Heater fan resistor - preventative maintenance

HVAC Engine compartment vacuum unit - due to failure

The HVAC unit is that for the variorum? If so do you mind sharing costs and how easy it is to replace? Also if there is a test to see if it is working correctly?

Euro Car Parts half price brake sale purchased 4 x Sebro Disks and Brembo Pads. Heres hoping the pads are ok? Caliper refurb will follow when fitted.

Some fairly boring expenses this week to help keep the old girl in shape.

New Headlight Switch 993.613.531.00 £54.72 plus vat less discount

Noticed a while back that the sidelight warning light would flicker and that a jab to the Headlight Switch would reignite it. Had this happen at the weekend on a run to Classics at the Castle, but this time when I jabbed the lights went out completely :eek:

I did plan to pull the switch apart and fix it as it was sure to be down to sticky connections. Unfortunately it wasn't to be as the switch is unserviceable and needed to be broken to get it apart.

Fitting was a bit tricky, but doable with an arm fully inserted under the dash from the footwell.

In addition to this I ordered a new Cat Heat Shield and associated fixings as the one on the car is a bit corroded and looking ratty.

Heat Protection 993.211.214.02 £84.26 plus vat less discount
Combination Screw x8 £1.68 plus vat less discount each
Combination Screw x1 £2.98 plus vat less discount
Washer x10 0.71 plus vat less discount each
Locking Bolt x10 £4.48 plus vat less discount each
Nut x 6 £3.27 plus vat less discount each

All told my bill for a switch, a piece of galvanised metal and a handful of fixings. £241.72 :eek: Those 'correct' fixings sure add up!

Fulla said:
MilSub said:
A few things recently ..

The HVAC unit is that for the variorum? If so do you mind sharing costs and how easy it is to replace? Also if there is a test to see if it is working correctly?

No - not the varioram, from what I know it's the unit that closes the ventilation and heating system when reverse gear is selected to stop fumes getting into the cabin when reversing - very cunning those Germans :grin:

Christian identified the issue during a visit to him at his new place earlier this year - think he pulled a vacuum tube off and checked if it was blowing or sucking .. from memory, I don't think mine was doing either :?:

I had my local Indy supply and fit the new vacuum unit, the price was £85.51 plus fitting.

Fulla said:
MilSub said:
A few things recently ..

You got me thinking about the HVAC vacuum unit now .. :hand:

Have had a bit of a google and found this very useful info on testing from our good buddy Tore :thumb:

https://www.bergvillfx.com/porschehvac2

Rear wiper arm and gasket to stop oil leak. Plus waiting for custom light fitting for ducted fog unit, thus retaining fog capability.

Tobesetc said:
Rear wiper arm and gasket to stop oil leak. Plus waiting for custom light fitting for ducted fog unit, thus retaining fog capability.

It's far too early for me Tobes - I read that and thought how the hell is a rear wiper arm gasket going to cure an oil leak :dont know:

Time for another strong coffee! :wink:

Tobesetc said:
Plus waiting for custom light fitting for ducted fog unit, thus retaining fog capability.
Sounds interesting - what did you go for? Something like this?

brake-air-ducts-for-993-small-with-fog-lights.jpg

I've got some goodies coming this week. I had a set of Boxster rear discs, pads and all the associated bits sitting in storage from early 2015. OPC agreed to take them back/swap for parts:

- Floor mat set (in black as Marble no longer available)
- Heater rear window switch as mine won't stay on unless I hold it out
- C2S gear knob/gaiter in Marble
- Rubber shroud thing that goes at the top of the engine fan

And then from the Bay, a Porsche Classic Navigation

Can't wait to get the gear knob on. Current one looks tired.

Still have a few bits on my list for the year; amber indicators/lights front and rear, rear reflector, fog lamps, underseat sub, a major service and a little bit of paint.

Picking up the Aventura Adventure that is my 993 from Precision this afternoon. Just continuing hacking away at the list of items a 155k car throws up:

1/ Repair horn low tone
2/ Fix relay to headlight washers
3/ Replace calliper plates, springs, sensors etc
4/ Lower control arm and toe arms covers
5/ Replace headlamp guide
6/ Repair driver's side door wiring loom as window function intermittent
7/ Repair drivers wiper arm
8/ Rear discs and new pads
9/ New calliper dust overs all round
10/ Steering rack brace as running 18" Twists
11/ Annual service

And some other bits and bobs I can't remeber.

Precision also now have some new Vehicle Health Check software highlighting any current or future issues based on a traffic light system. A few items but the worst was the steering rack brace with other jobs noting general wear and tear; so pretty happy tbh.

Next stop some paint to the bumpers and new exhaust system!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back