Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Opening bonnet with flat battery

Niall996

Imola
An old chestnut (and really irritating 996 design flaw). My battery is dead and I can't open the bonnet to access the battery to jump start the car.

There are three options as far as I know.

1. Use a jump box earthed to the door hinge and connected to a pull out contact in the fuse box. I don't have one of those jump boxes but would buy one if I was pretty sure it would work.

2. You find the cable under the wheel arch under the wheel arch lining and basically I presume pull on it to manual open the bonnet.

3. You use a very narrow screwdriver down between the bonnet and boot levers and ease the culprit, a little metal plate inwards towards the centre of the car to enable the bonnet lever to work. I tried this with a knife but couldn't get it to do anything. Do you need a really super skinny screwdriver?

What's the easiest most fool proof method?

Thanks

If you have a battery charger you can do the same thing as the jump pack although you may need to wait for an hour or two to charge the battery sufficiently.
This is the easiest way to gain access.

Lots of info here ...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=56267

But basically ..

1/ easy if you have a power pack .

2/ need to remove the wheel and arch liner .. its a pain .

2/ this is for the lever type and not the button type , you are trying to get at the lock solinoid to release the levers .. its easier to remove the allen keys holding that panel on and lift it .. ive never tryed the method you are doing .

3 allen keys behind plastic bungs i belive , 5mm allen key slide into the hole and slacken off the bolts .. approx 2 turns then pull the panel up .

Niall996 said:
Thanks guys, I think I'll get a power pack and try the fuse box attachment method. The other methods look a bit daunting.

Cheers

So something like this should be fine to get the bonnet open?

https://www.manomano.fr/demarreur/h...eneur-de-charge-automatique-2v-6v-12v-3211658

That would work to get your bonnet open, I believe.

If you have a flat battery though, I'd suggest getting something like this. It's saved me at least a dozen times, and you can use it to pop your bonnet and then plug it into your battery and boost yourself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guluman-Po...05951455&sr=8-8&keywords=battery+booster+pack

It's worth noting you must have the car unlocked completely otherwise the bonnet doesn't open (as I found out, after spending 30 mins trying to work out why it wouldn't budge).

Niall996 said:
An old chestnut (and really irritating 996 design flaw). My battery is dead and I can't open the bonnet to access the battery to jump start the car.

There are three options as far as I know.

1. Use a jump box earthed to the door hinge and connected to a pull out contact in the fuse box. I don't have one of those jump boxes but would buy one if I was pretty sure it would work.

2. You find the cable under the wheel arch under the wheel arch lining and basically I presume pull on it to manual open the bonnet.

3. You use a very narrow screwdriver down between the bonnet and boot levers and ease the culprit, a little metal plate inwards towards the centre of the car to enable the bonnet lever to work. I tried this with a knife but couldn't get it to do anything. Do you need a really super skinny screwdriver?

What's the easiest most fool proof method?

Thanks

1. Is simple and doesn't require much power, i managed it with a low charge battery I had hanging around.

2. Is fine if it works, mine was jammed when tried this as I'd locked my keys in the trunk and couldn't open the door. Another 996 in the shop had the same issue when we were investigating means to open mine.

3 Is how we managed to open mine. You have to get the lever which is behind the manual operating lever. This requires a long thin screwdriver and some plastic wedges to create some space.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back