Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I sell 997.1.5 tutbo to buy 991 tutbo? Advice please

Its certainly a nice problem to have.
Recently I got an itch for a 7t manual, looked at a few and drove a few, most of them were not as nice as my 6T, I guess we all have different standards when it comes to keeping our cars clean and maintained, I also could not get my head round some people following the 2 year service guideline in such an expensive car, oil surely needs changed every year as a minimum.

Anyway I digress, the reason I did not jump on one as I was a bit underwhelmed with the way they drove. Coming from a tuned 6T the boost was
not as dramatic, more linear, and I felt the steering lacked feel and a connection to the road that the 6 has. It was all softened out somehow and not as raw, not as much of an event. Of course we are all different, the 7 may have other advantages but it was just so different and for that reason I did not change and just spent more money on my car.

I had it in at OPC for a service, they gave me a new Boxster 718, and was really excited about it, until I drove it. It was crap, I could have been in a fast Golf, it may upset some people to hear it but my opinion is that Porsche in pursuit of whatever have removed a lot of the feel from the cars, its like playing a PlayStation. The 991 I have not driven, looks great, great interior but suspect its robbed of dynamic feel and driver input, which is a shame if the case.

westcoastclassic said:
Its certainly a nice problem to have.
Recently I got an itch for a 7t manual, looked at a few and drove a few, most of them were not as nice as my 6T, I guess we all have different standards when it comes to keeping our cars clean and maintained, I also could not get my head round some people following the 2 year service guideline in such an expensive car, oil surely needs changed every year as a minimum.

Anyway I digress, the reason I did not jump on one as I was a bit underwhelmed with the way they drove. Coming from a tuned 6T the boost was
not as dramatic, more linear, and I felt the steering lacked feel and a connection to the road that the 6 has. It was all softened out somehow and not as raw, not as much of an event. Of course we are all different, the 7 may have other advantages but it was just so different and for that reason I did not change and just spent more money on my car.

I had it in at OPC for a service, they gave me a new Boxster 718, and was really excited about it, until I drove it. It was crap, I could have been in a fast Golf, it may upset some people to hear it but my opinion is that Porsche in pursuit of whatever have removed a lot of the feel from the cars, its like playing a PlayStation. The 991 I have not driven, looks great, great interior but suspect its robbed of dynamic feel and driver input, which is a shame if the case.

This is what I have trouble understanding the logic. The 996 is a good car, but the 997 has the looks covered.

So, the holy grail (to most not to me, not fast enough) being the GT3's or GT3 RS, they are raw, visceral, driver focused, back to basics, feel, noisy and so on and so fourth....

....then people and reviews poo poo the 997 Turbo's (either Gen) for being dull, no drama, to refined muted and boring....

....then we get into debates about a GEN2 over a GEN1 because its more refined, less raw, more easy, less noisy, has better tech and has the benefits of an Auto PDK??

I know the 911 Turbo was designed to be an all weather Supercar, but once it becomes a toy, I'm not so sure...

Thoughts :?: :?: :?:

If you want to buy a car to look at then Italian cars look better than German ones. So for me its not so much about looks, its about drive, how engaging it is, and on that basis I was unable to convince myself that the 7 drove better.
Simple logic there.
I recently drove my SC North up the A1 at speed tailing a friend in a very fast modern car, I was bloody knackered after it, but I drove that car North, it never drove me, and I guess that is my point, if you want to drive then drive, if you want to pose, then pose.......

westcoastclassic said:
If you want to buy a car to look at then Italian cars look better than German ones. So for me its not so much about looks, its about drive, how engaging it is, and on that basis I was unable to convince myself that the 7 drove better.
Simple logic there.
I recently drove my SC North up the A1 at speed tailing a friend in a very fast modern car, I was bloody knackered after it, but I drove that car North, it never drove me, and I guess that is my point, if you want to drive then drive, if you want to pose, then pose.......

Don't make sense, you could apply this logic to an MGB GT, or any classic, the older they get the more manual they are.

westcoastclassic said:
Coming from a tuned 6T the boost was
not as dramatic, more linear

I get the impression you feel that is a negative, the 997T has VTG's which are supposed to give the car a more linear power delivery by delivering its power lower down the rev range.

So, the holy grail (to most not to me, not fast enough) being the GT3's or GT3 RS, they are raw, visceral, driver focused, back to basics, feel, noisy and so on and so fourth....

A pal of mine had a 997 GT3 he asked me to drive to an event for him, boy was I excited after reading all the hype. One word P**H. Afterwards I said to him " where is all the power, is it running right?" What I experienced was a jolty ride, crap gear change, steering that was downright dangerous for the road and a wee shove of power after 6000 rpm, akin to a Honda Civic V-tec.
He says but ah, it will leave you for dust on the track, to which I said no it bloody wont, if you do manage to get it to corner quicker it will be truly mullered on the straights, so add up that over the course of a 20 lap race and I reckon I could get close to lapping you with the correct brake set up, and all that without probably having to go more than 5000 rpm in any gear.
He was not amused......
Rightly or wrongly, to my mind the point of any Porsche is power. With the exception of some of the earlier pre 74 cars that are wonderful instrument's with pure feel.

Boba fett said:
westcoastclassic said:
Simple logic there.

Don't make sense, you could apply this logic to an MGB GT, or any classic, the older they get the more manual they are.

what does not make sense?

apollokre1d said:
westcoastclassic said:
Coming from a tuned 6T the boost was
not as dramatic, more linear

I get the impression you feel that is a negative, the 997T has VTG's which are supposed to give the car a more linear power delivery by delivering its power lower down the rev range.

I felt it was a big negative, no kick in the back turbo boost, all smoothed out, if you were to tune it then I dare say it could be cured.

westcoastclassic said:

A pal of mine had a 997 GT3 he asked me to drive to an event for him, boy was I excited after reading all the hype. One word P**H. Afterwards I said to him " where is all the power, is it running right?" What I experienced was a jolty ride, crap gear change, steering that was downright dangerous for the road and a wee shove of power after 6000 rpm, akin to a Honda Civic V-tec.
He says but ah, it will leave you for dust on the track, to which I said no it bloody wont, if you do manage to get it to corner quicker it will be truly mullered on the straights, so add up that over the course of a 20 lap race and I reckon I could get close to lapping you with the correct brake set up, and all that without probably having to go more than 5000 rpm in any gear.
He was not amused......
Rightly or wrongly, to my mind the point of any Porsche is power. With the exception of some of the earlier pre 74 cars that are wonderful instrument's with pure feel.

So you are agreeing with me then ?

Boba fett said:
westcoastclassic said:

He was not amused......

On GT3 cars front yes, and have to agree every time I see a 7t I think yeah that's a cool Turbo, maybe I was expecting too much, perhaps my car is too fast.

And I might as well also concede that from time to time I get sick of the interior on the 6, no arguments on that front the 7 has it, and the 991 has more of it. To non Porsche people though whether it be a 6 or a 7 they just see a shiny 911 Turbo, they know little to nothing of models, when I tell people my car is 15 years old they are genuinely shocked, it looks like new they say, and I say so it bloody should after all that thought and care. I am not slagging the 7, far from it, merely my reflections, hey I wanted to buy one, and I have heard the same spin on it from others as well.

westcoastclassic said:
Boba fett said:
westcoastclassic said:

He was not amused......

On GT3 cars front yes, and have to agree every time I see a 7t I think yeah that's a cool Turbo, maybe I was expecting too much, perhaps my car is too fast.

You can never compare stock to tuned, might be worth exploring what you can do with a 997 or have a go in one thats been enhanced like yours, when mine was standard, It met all the reviews that have been wrote, now its a monster :thumb:

Boba fett said:
westcoastclassic said:
Boba fett said:
westcoastclassic said:

He was not amused......

You can never compare stock to tuned, might be worth exploring what you can do with a 997 or have a go in one thats been enhanced like yours, when mine was standard, It met all the reviews that have been wrote, now its a monster :thumb:

Agree again, and your car will out perform mine, I only have a mild tune from 9E however they really got it right. I have considered removing the cats, anyone done with any success? and yes I do have a sympathetic mot station. I had a chat with ES earlier this year, he told me categorically that the standard exhaust system is excellent when you remove the cats and will produce more power than an aftermarket exhaust system, just not had the guts to do it yet.....
Any pointers would be valued, and a bit off topic now surely......oops

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back