Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So the spending starts.....

As far as i know its the original.
3.4 with the Duel row bearing.
I thought it was only on the 997 that you had to split the casings.

No such thing as a cheap 911 eh. :grin:

Sorry, just kidding, I couldn't resist.

The gearbox guy is giving you a warranty for the work he's doing isn't he?
If so, get that done then get the car to somewhere else to have the IMS inspected.
If it is as rattly as gearbox guy is claiming, I'd also be worried about whether any swarf has made its way around the engine. The garage who confirm the IMS is bad can advise what to do.
They can open up your oil filter and check for debris etc. Hopefully you've caught it early.

Once all back together you can drive it and any problems with the box will have to be rectified by the guy it's with at the moment.
Removing the box for IMS repair shouldn't invalidate his warranty as you aren't touching the workings of the box, you're simply dropping it off the car to access the IMS.
CHECK THAT THIS IS OK WITH GEARBIX GUY THOUGH.

He's about 1000% more expensive than my Indy. £2500 when he already has the box off is a Mickey-take.

My Indy charges £250 + vat to remove box, remove IMS, then fit an IMS of your choice (you supply it) and rebuild.

If my IMS started to go I'd be fitting the EPS roller bearing but it's all a massive can of worms trying to discuss it these days without the usual parties trying to shout loudest.

Good luck getting sorted. It'll be a nice car once done and it's the most desirable spec. :thumb:

PS

Which -

Witch -

If it's had a replacement engine from porsche after they updated the design it may have a larger non serviceable bearing. Mine is a 3.4 996 and does. The link I just posted may help you identify if it has had a replacement "AT" engine by the engine number.

Otherwise I believe you are correct and it should be servicable without disassembly.

Marky911 - completely agree any engine built before 2005 would not need the cases split. I am just pointing out that a remanufactured engine from porsche Designed for say a 1998 vehicle could have been built after 2005.
This is exactly what is in my car.

Strange, did you ask them to inspect it?

Ask the garage for a pic of the ims bearing in situ (assuming they have the cover removed) and post up, we can tell you if its larger type or not.

Gixxer996 said:
If it's had a replacement engine from porsche after they updated the design it may have a larger non serviceable bearing. Mine is a 3.4 996 and does.

:?:

This is interesting. Are you stating that Porsche did 3.4 engine replacements with the very latter much larger ims bearing finally used in the 997.1?

I am shocked :eek:

Gixxer996 said:
Marky911 - completely agree any engine built before 2005 would not need the cases split. I am just pointing out that a remanufactured engine from porsche Designed for say a 1998 vehicle could have been built after 2005.
This is exactly what is in my car.

Hi mate,
Yes my reply was just a general rule of thumb comment for the OP. I hadn't read your post before writing, but it wasn't a reply or argument against your comments. :thumb:

Marky911 - mate I didn't think it was. No probs at all mate and I completely agree with what you said. Maybe I sounded short- but it is late :lol: - seriously no probs mate :thumbs:

Alex - yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I've got photos of mine somewhere. This is exactly what I do for a living- design and test remanufactured engines. If I am writing a new specification for an old engine I will normally include improvements from later generations of that engine family provided they do not effect homolgation/ type approval rules.

My own engine has been replaced with a 98/99 3.4 engine (as it should have), i believe this engine was built after 2005 and I can confirm that it has a non servicable larger ims bearing like the 997.

Reason for mentioning is if the op engine is being inspected by a competent garage capable of the rebuilds their site indicates, I reckon they should be able to identify if it is removable. So if they say it is not - maybe they are correct. Check your engine number.

Gixxer996,
could your car have been rebuilt with a replacement 3.6 block?

Thanks for the info guys. The bloke is taking the piss so he won't be doing the job.
Does anyone know the bearing number?

Mike, the attached shoes how to breakdown an engine number.

My remanufactured porsche engine number is:
M9601AT66X*****
AT stands for replacement engine (Austauschmotor) which means replacement engine in german. And the 66X denotes a 1999 spec engine.
Also there is a pic of the block (I don't have a photo with the ims housing removed (sorry thought I had somewhere and if I find it I will post), but it is definitely the larger non servicable bearing.

I didn't mean to hijack the OPs thread and just wanted to highlight that it may be worth checking your engine number before presuming your engine builder is wrong by saying it can't be removed without splitting.

Anyway hope you get it all sorted- will be a good car once done.

Attachments

• img_5391_553.jpg
    img_5391_553.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 4,025
  • img_5392_248.jpg
    img_5392_248.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4,025
Gixxer996 - so is your engine 3 chain or 5 chain cam driven?

No offence but I'm finding it a bit hard to believe that Porsche have manufactured a 3.4 996.1 compatible engine using the intermediate shaft from the last 3.6 997.1 engine. They're not plug n play items and would involve a fair amount of modification.

Hopefully some more knowledgeable chaps will come along and clarify your claim.

alex yates said:
Gixxer996 - so is your engine 3 chain or 5 chain cam driven?

No offence but I'm finding it a bit hard to believe that Porsche have manufactured a 3.4 996.1 compatible engine using the intermediate shaft from the last 3.6 997.1 engine. They're not plug n play items and would involve a fair amount of modification.

Hopefully some more knowledgeable chaps will come along and clarify your claim.

Mine is the same as gixxers. 99 c2 3.4, and in 2011 a replacement AT 3.4 motor with the later bearing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back