Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Vibration at high speed - new rear discs the cause?

Shurv

I have had new rear discs and pads fitted less than 500 miles ago, and last night I had a quick blast up to speeds I hadn't done since the discs had been fitted. I have a really bad vibration coming from the whole of the rear of the car. It is ok up to the ton, but over that it steadily gets worse. I had to back off at 125 as the it felt and sounded awful. When braking the discs are fine and the car stops as it should. Might there be a problem with the discs, or should I look elsewhere?. The vibration wasn't present prior to the service. :dont know:

Possibly a little bit of run-out on the hubs? Take them off, wire-brush everything, refit?

Will check the wheel balance 1st, then go from there I think.

Will be interested to hear the conclusion of this.

I too have a vibration which sets off at a little over 70mph (honest). I've had new discs all round and also had my wheels refurbished recently. My thoughts were initially that it was likely to be the wheels not being well balanced so that was going to be my first port of call (get them re-balanced). Would hope that the discs should be OK but hadn't thought about the hubs so will check those as well once the wheels have been re-balanced if that doesn't solve the problem. Has anyone had any problems with the drive shafts or prop shaft setting up a vibration if bearings are on the way out? Just thinking of what else it could potentially be.

It could be the seating of the disc, the inner wheel faces may be slightly corroded or the hub to inner disc face may be corroded.

Is it fronts and are left and right installed in the correct position, unsure if that would cause vibration but it is also worth checking as I've heard of them being fitted the wrong way around?

Around the 70-80 range is usually balancing of the front wheels.

If you've had wheels refurbed, often they powder coat the back of the wheel where it mates to the hub and this can leave an uneven surface.

Double check the wheel nuts are done up....had a similar issue in Germany whilst vmaxing the family wagon on the autobahn. Was rather irate that day considering Audi had just had the car 2 days before departure.

....my GT2 had the same issue last month.

All rollbar droplinks were worn....now changed and all fine again(easy to check) and a common issue.

infrasilver said:
It could be the seating of the disc, the inner wheel faces may be slightly corroded or the hub to inner disc face may be corroded.

Is it fronts and are left and right installed in the correct position, unsure if that would cause vibration but it is also worth checking as I've heard of them being fitted the wrong way around?

I'll have a tenner on this :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back