Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NC500 2017 - Final Update (Pics Heavy)

Nice to see evidence based policing at play 911TEL .... :evil:

'The current position is the number of deaths on the roads is lower than it has been in previous years, but one life lost in the roads is one too many for me."

And the fastest ones on the roads from my experience were always the locals - in their Astra diesel vans, rather than their Ariel Atoms. Hey ho. All the more reason to get it done sooner rather than later. Enjoy your blast :thumb: :grin:

Slight change of tack - this is a summary of my Scotland trip. More SC1000 than NC500 :thumbs:

EPIC!! :worship:

Great thread. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loads of excellent pictures- I like books with loads of pictures :floor:
I too will bookmark this thread for when I get chance to go touring Scotland with my better half.
It's also prompted me into looking for a decent DSLR camera. And buy some more whisky. You've probably cost me a bleedin' fortune.... doh... :wink:

New997buyer said:
Longers said:
EPIC!! :worship:

Holy macaroni!?! Praise indeed :salut:

As Murray Walker said when someone asked him why he didn't follow in his father's footsteps and pursue a career in motorcycle racing... "Those who can do, those who can't talk about it"! You certainly did.

Undertaking a trip on the scale of yours, and solo, should not be undersestimated :thumbs:

Paul, this has been a gem of a thread, as others have already said - thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Quite shocking to read how close you came to losing Grace though :eek:, I should imagine your ar5e took more than a nip of the seat cushion when that happened!! Lady luck appears to have been on your side though.

A great write up and tool for future reference. :thumb:

Norfolk & Idea said:
Great thread. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loads of excellent pictures- I like books with loads of pictures :floor:
I too will bookmark this thread for when I get chance to go touring Scotland with my better half.
It's also prompted me into looking for a decent DSLR camera. And buy some more whisky. You've probably cost me a bleedin' fortune.... doh... :wink:

Sorry about that :grin:

(Hope you got my follow on to your Fast'n'Loud reference on the watch thread? :?::) )

DynoMike said:
Quite shocking to read how close you came to losing Grace though :eek:, I should imagine your ar5e took more than a nip of the seat cushion when that happened!! Lady luck appears to have been on your side though.

Yes, I had two very close calls. The first was just north of Unapool and the Kylesku Bridge and the second was as I mentioned recently just north of Kilmartin. And luck coupled with good engineering saved my ass more than skill. But then I've always known I'm an average driver :oops: :D

But you're right enough that both were memorable squeaky bum moments :eek:

Longers said:
....... I totally agree with what you said in one of your early posts about making the effort to get to Scotland. Interestingly I only found out at the end of our tour that there was originally a bit of reluctance/disappointment from some of the group when I announced the Scottish trip on the final night of their 2016 trip to Germany.

and

Maybe it's the fact it often feels easier to get to Calais and that Scotland's roads and scenery are so surprisingly stunning that people seem to be bowled over by the place, especially after becoming so familiar with France, Germany, etc?

I've been as far north as Portree so can appreciate what the destination will look like. It's the fact that, for me, the Jura mountains on the French/Swiss border are closer than Jura, Scotland and I know that the journey there and back would be far more interesting.

I do fully intend to do both but the trip south is far more likely to be done first, and in a 911. :D

New997buyer said:
Nice to see evidence based policing at play 911TEL .... :evil:

'The current position is the number of deaths on the roads is lower than it has been in previous years, but one life lost in the roads is one too many for me."

And the fastest ones on the roads from my experience were always the locals - in their Astra diesel vans, rather than their Ariel Atoms. Hey ho. All the more reason to get it done sooner rather than later. Enjoy your blast :thumb: :grin:

Slight change of tack - this is a summary of my Scotland trip. More SC1000 than NC500 :thumbs:

Lol.... NB,
I may appear biased re the BIB , it's not the case many do a great job , but it's the policy of always pinpointing the 'anti-social' element I don't gel with ...Generally the 'enthusiast' on the NC is far better behaved and more courteous and friendly than many a day to day driver..... so my comments are more 'experience based ' than evidence based... and while we all , I'm sure think one loss of life is one too many, I personally don't think it's about that ....i haven't seen or heard much talk up here about anti social behaviour , but he has to make a statement on his appointment so why not clobber the motorist again...

He would be better served running a campaign against the mothers on the school run on the phone and texting whilst driving .... I see it EVERY day when I am walking my daughter to school......

I won't disagree about the Astra van drivers though ....

One instance a while back ... I was coming off the Bealach Na BA from Kishorn over to Applecross and a racing pushbike was right up my 4r53 trying to get me to let him past .....
And I did ...!( downhill I might add!)

911TEL said:
Lol.... NB,
I may appear biased re the BIB , it's not the case many do a great job , but it's the policy of always pinpointing the 'anti-social' element I don't gel with ...Generally the 'enthusiast' on the NC is far better behaved and more courteous and friendly than many a day to day driver..... so my comments are more 'experience based ' than evidence based... and while we all , I'm sure think one loss of life is one too many, I personally don't think it's about that ....i haven't seen or heard much talk up here about anti social behaviour , but he has to make a statement on his appointment so why not clobber the motorist again...

He would be better served running a campaign against the mothers on the school run on the phone and texting whilst driving .... I see it EVERY day when I am walking my daughter to school......

I won't disagree about the Astra van drivers though ....

One instance a while back ... I was coming off the Bealach Na BA from Kishorn over to Applecross and a racing pushbike was right up my 4r53 trying to get me to let him past .....
And I did ...!( downhill I might add!)

:floor: I was agreeing with you mate :thumbs:

My quote was highlighting that the accidents are lower despite higher traffic. Talk about the police solving a problem that isn't there :duh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back