Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

suspension refresh

maldren

I'm looking forward and planning a suspensions refresh on a 996.2 coupe with M030 suspension.

The car is for road use only and I am looking for improved ride. I don't want to lower it further.

Has anyone got advice/experience/view comparing upgraded Bilstein with KW or Ohlins?

I went with Bilstein B8's on my car, they have a shorter piston to match the MO30 springs. Very happy with them.

The MO30 uses different bump stops and also the spring top plates are a different thickness so make sure you get the correct ones if these need replacing.
I've been told that there are a few different thicknesses of top plates that were chosen in the factory to balance out any minor differences in spring length so it's just a simple case of one size for normal & one size for MO30, you have to see whats fitted to your particular car.

Improved ride? You won't get extra comfort with M030, it will be firmer and you'll feel pot holes etc more at slower speed but it's still way more comfortable than track suspension. I love it, my Dad hates it!
KW/Ohlins is adjustable but it will still be firmer unless you change the springs, I would suggest that unless you really want to spend an extra 2k for performance that mainly benefits your car on track you would be better off with M030/Bilstein.
By the way M030 only drops your car by 10mm but in reality your standard suspension has already sagged by that amount so there is not much of a difference, it may not look as sporty but if you want to use your car and not worry about sloping exits & speed humps it's the way to go.
Make sure all the other suspension components are in good condition otherwise you won't feel the benefits and get it set up with a geo for your requirements.

Perhaps I should have been clearer! My suspension is firm but ok. It will need refreshing at some stage and I am thinking why not do it now and have the benefits sooner rather than later. This will include all the wearing parts (coffin arms, top mounts, engine mounts etc)

Having tried more modern cars I have been very impressed by their ride quality and I'm wondering how close I can get with better damping. The latest Cayman is sensational.

Just dropped my car into my Indie for a full suspension refresh on thursday. Like you I thought sooner rather than later!! I've gone for the MO30.. £1200 plus fitting.. been told it's firmer than standard but in a good way.. it will make the car feel and ride like new. I felt the 15 year old suspension was well past it's sell by date, worked but felt sloppy.

Will update you once its done.. can't wait!

Hi BK911, I've sent you a pm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back