Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rev range data 996

BChivs

Hi, I have had a PPI carried out today on a 996 C4S including Ecuador rev data readings. This however means absolutely jack to me! :dont know:
What does it mean when readings are range 1 or 2?

Rev range readings in range 1 & 2 are fine. Readings above RR 4 are not so fine. There are threads on here covering it in detail. But I'm a bit of a spaz and I don't know to dig out links. A cleverer chap will be along shortly... :)

996 only has ranges 1 and 2 the later cars more. Range 1 is at the limiter so expect to see some of these. Range 2 is an over rev so not desirable. If it has any in this range check the hours next to it that tells you when it occurred. Compare this to total run hours to see if recent. If not then you can assume no real damaged occurred if all still running sweet..
Post your data if that doesn't make sense and somebody will interprete.

I don't have the full print out just the summarised figures in the report....He said Rev Range 1 '4015' range 2 '3'.

As I mentioned this may aswel be a verse of killing me softly in Spanish because I haven't got the slightest clue whether this is good bad or otherwise?

IanG1 said:
996 only has ranges 1 and 2 the later cars more. Range 1 is at the limiter so expect to see some of these. Range 2 is an over rev so not desirable. If it has any in this range check the hours next to it that tells you when it occurred. Compare this to total run hours to see if recent. If not then you can assume no real damaged occurred if all still running sweet..

This is spot-on. Only rev ranges 1 and 2 for this car. The reading of 3 (ignitions) in rr2 is nothing to worry about. If it was recent a d more of them, then you'd be advised to have a compression test to assess if any damage.
Cant comment on mileage validation as you don't give operating hrs and avg speed also given from the ECU.

cheshire911 said:
IanG1 said:

This is spot-on. Only rev ranges 1 and 2 for this car. The reading of 3 (ignitions) in rr2 is nothing to worry about. If it was recent a d more of them, then you'd be advised to have a compression test to assess if any damage.
Cant comment on mileage validation as you don't give operating hrs and avg speed also given from the ECU.

The operating hours etc he said were spot on....1391 hours at an average speed of 42.57??

Forgot to say he borescoped and said all looked fine....very very slight marking on bank 4 but nothing to show concern.

If the rev range 2s were low numbers and over 50 hours has passed it should be ok.

I'd be concerned if there are a high number and recent.

[quote="BChivs"

The operating hours etc he said were spot on....1391 hours at an average speed of 42.57??[/quote]

I must have missed that data somewhere.

Good info given already.

42mph is a high average speed but those Overrevs aren't bad at all.

You very often see tens of thousands of Range 1's.
See how long ago the Range 2's occurred.

As a rule if it's over 100 hours ago you should be fine. Some dealers won't take cars in if its within 100 hours. There has been the odd example of damage happening later. There was a guy on P'heads whose timing chain snapped 400 hours after a Range 2.

Also though if it's in single figures some believe that is just a spurious recording in the ecu.

As a quick calculation divide over revs by 400 and that will give you the amount of time the engine has spent in that zone.

E.g 2800 Range 1 over revs = approx 7 seconds hitting the limiter over the cars life. So that could just be bumping the limiter in 2nd 7 times.

I also thought it was on the high side for avg speed. Typically, no matter how hard we drive the (except for sustained track use) the avg tends to be below 40mph and may often be around 30mph when used for road driving in the UK.

Demorts estimation at c45k is about right based on those hours and avg speed so lets see what the mileometer in the click reads (always a slight discrepancy between the click and ecu/dme).

The 3 ignitions in RR2 is trivial - I font think the OP will end up with a snapped timing chain with those - but certainly has been known to happen later on ibyo ownership but unclear how they can associate it with an earlier RR2 ignition range.

I also thought it was on the high side for avg speed. Typically, no matter how hard we drive the (except for sustained track use) the avg tends to be below 40mph and may often be around 30mph when used for road driving in the UK.

Demorts estimation at c45k is about right based on those hours and avg speed so lets see what the mileometer in the clock reads (always a slight discrepancy between the clock and ecu/dme).

The 3 ignitions in RR2 is trivial - I don't think the OP will end up with a snapped timing chain with those - but certainly has been known to happen later on into ownership but unclear how they can associate it with an earlier RR2 ignition range?

Wouldn't it be average speed (mph) x total hours = mileage?

1391 x 42.5 = 59,117

This is perfect to the dash. I will check with Autowerkes how long ago the small rev2 was.

:thumb:

cheshire911 said:
The 3 ignitions in RR2 is trivial - I don't think the OP will end up with a snapped timing chain with those - but certainly has been known to happen later on into ownership but unclear how they can associate it with an earlier RR2 ignition range?
IIRC Porsche generally say, for warranty that 50 hrs ago and the issue may be okay but after 100 operating hours, then the car would be considered 'safe'. I think that's what their warranty policy was on these cars.

Unfortunately, what constitutes a range 2 is a mystery, since, unlike the 997, you have no higher rev ranges to provide guidance.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back