Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering Wheel Query

Phil 997 said:
If you want to be 100% sure you have the correct steering module it is part number 997.613.289.01 that you need get your indy to whip your steering wheel off and have a look or do it yourself it would only cost a few quid for them to do it or the OPC might be able to tell you the part number based on your vin. if it is the above number you are good to go if not then you will probably need the get the module at £230 plus the wheel and airbag the airbags are £350 from several places and the wheels vary but try Mark at stirlings on here as he has a few gen 2 tip wheels and is the best price because he changes many over to the gen2/991 sport one with the flappy paddle and is left with the old gen 2 ones so is happy to let them go at a good price . :thumb:
Cheers Phill, Mike at Sterlings kindly sent two wheels for me to try and make one wheel, he didn't have a black leather mf wheel. I'm not sure I can get the face of one without damage then I thought is it really worth it £600 to £700 on top of the other painted interior mods I'm doing. But if it's just an airbag £350 that would be worth it!

As Phil says, call your OPC, give them your VIN number and they will be able to tell you the part number of the control unit you have fitted.

As Isys has pointed out, it's very likely that a car as late as yours will already have the later unit fitted!

silvermilnec said:
Phil 997 said:
If you want to be 100% sure you have the correct steering module it is part number 997.613.289.01 that you need get your indy to whip your steering wheel off and have a look or do it yourself it would only cost a few quid for them to do it or the OPC might be able to tell you the part number based on your vin. if it is the above number you are good to go if not then you will probably need the get the module at £230 plus the wheel and airbag the airbags are £350 from several places and the wheels vary but try Mark at stirlings on here as he has a few gen 2 tip wheels and is the best price because he changes many over to the gen2/991 sport one with the flappy paddle and is left with the old gen 2 ones so is happy to let them go at a good price . :thumb:
Cheers Phill, Mike at Sterlings kindly sent two wheels for me to try and make one wheel, he didn't have a black leather mf wheel. I'm not sure I can get the face of one without damage then I thought is it really worth it £600 to £700 on top of the other painted interior mods I'm doing. But if it's just an airbag £350 that would be worth it!

I know Monster removed a face and fitted a mf face but he did say you will may well end up breaking the wheel of the one with the face you want and the face on the one with the wheel you want. but it can be done with some effort as you say a mod worth doing at £500 ish but I ended up paying more like £900 by the time I had done it but that would have been a couple of hundred cheaper if I hadnt gone for a carbon gen 2 wheel.

Need further clarification for Gen1 non M/F Turbo car

Hi all,

I really need more help please on this topic as I have read others trying this with a 997 Gen1 turbo and the fitted wheel is not compatible...

Number #1 objective - stop horn beeping with key removal (so embarrassing).
Number #2 objective - get paddle shifts working.

I have a 2007 997 Turbo Tiptronic S which I just bought and it came with the 991 three spoke wheel with paddles (I believe it is 997-044-402-16-A10).

Every time I remove the key the horn beeps, and the paddles don't work, everything else works including cruise control and no warning lights or errors are shown.

The previous owner confirmed the steering wheel control module was not replaced, I believe the new wheel was fitted and no other work done.

Do I need to replace the control module with 997.613.289.01 even though this is not a M/F steering wheel (I have original wheel and its NOT M/F)?

Is this the correct steps required for my 997 Gen 1 Turbo car?

1. Purchase and fit new steering wheel control module 997.613.289.01.
2. Code PIWIS to "PDK" steering wheel.
3. Calibrate steering angle sensor.
4. Re-configure gateway.
5. Erase all trouble codes.

Many thanks all!

And get the OPC to turn ON the multifunction option with piwis even though it doesnt have it . You will need to insist as they think they know better. also the new steering control module will need to be programmed with piwis.
the non working paddles is what the previous owner gave up to make the horn work as without the new control unit you can only have one or the other working which would also explain the beep as the car is seeing it has a problem somewhere within the control unit. Do the things on your list and what I have said and you will be good to go.
Not sure of your location but if Bournemouth OPC is feasible they have done quite a few of us now and know whats needed plus I could meet you there and ensure they do whats needed. :thumb: :thumb:

Great modification Monster, looks great.

Cheeky question - are you interested in selling your original wheel? If so please PM me. I have the aluminium pack wheel but find the feel odd so am looking for a leather multi function replacement.

Cheers, Dave

That reminds me I must sell my triangle multi function wheel!

silvermilnec said:
That reminds me I must sell my triangle multi function wheel!

Chris you should send Dave a message see it he wants yours I saw monster today and he hasn't got his wheel for sale

Phill hope your well but I'm lost! Just got in from the local pub, who or which Dave lol, did you fit that heated wheel?

HI Chris, Dave Endex. Was looking for a gen1 wheel as he has a steel one and would like leather gen1 wheel but didn't establish if his was triangle or sport round gen1 . No I never fitted it had a change of direction and went alcantara so I still have the black heated gen2 one which at some I must sell. If you hear of anyone who wants a gen2 black heated non mf wheel let me know 👍

997.1 Turbo PDK steering wheel with paddles now working

Hi All,

I just wanted to thank you as I got the new steering control module fitted and did the actions we discussed and its all good now :)

Re: 997.1 Turbo PDK steering wheel with paddles now working

wildatsun said:
Hi All,

I just wanted to thank you as I got the new steering control module fitted and did the actions we discussed and its all good now :)

Great to hear. :thumb: :thumb:

Slightly off topic but I recently replaced the standard steering wheel with the Sports Design steering wheel on my MY2010 997.2S manual. Simple plug and play swap (no paddles, heating or buttons to worry about) and uses the same airbag. Easy process using Youtube videos. Love the look of it :D

Attachments

• 997_wheel_lr_623.jpg
    997_wheel_lr_623.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 4,589

systech1 said:
Slightly off topic but I recently replaced the standard steering wheel with the Sports Design steering wheel on my MY2010 997.2S manual. Simple plug and play swap (no paddles, heating or buttons to worry about) and uses the same airbag. Easy process using Youtube videos. Love the look of it :D

Did the same mod but in Alcantara, very happy with it. :thumb:

Attachments

• img_2059_175.jpg
    img_2059_175.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4,543

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back