Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine numbers

Gixxer996

Silverstone
Hi All,
Im bored and thought I would see if anyone can shed some light on engine numbers.
I have a 98 C2 which I know has had a replacement engine. My original engine number is listed below (without serial number), and my current engine is listed after (again without serial number).
I have reviewed the attached engine number decoder but thought I would share it anyway.
M9601W66W*****
M9601AT66X*****
I can confirm that my engine has a later style non serviceable IMS bearing, which I believe was introduced in 2005??
Having done lots of internet searching and contacting various dealers I am yet to get solid confirmation as to the AT and 66W/X. At first glance W would mean a 98 spec engine whilst X would indicate 99 spec engine. Despite this I have been told by 2 different people that remanufactured engines (AT??), often carried an X instead of Model year indicator. Has anyone got any better info on this subject or experience in the remanufactured engine codes?
Also can anyone advise on how to determine when an engine number was changed via the DVLA - its all correct on the log book, but I don't know exactly when the swap happened.

Cheers

Attachments

• pet_engine__379.jpg
    pet_engine__379.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,003
None of this info tells you which bearing you have. I only know for certain as I checked recently whilst the gearbox was out for other work.

Sorry I may have misled on my previous post.

I believe if it has a genuine Porsche replacement engine it will have AT in the number (like mine), and typically the number/ letter after 66 denotes the model year the engine is designed for (not made).

But that last point is the one I am questioning.

Good luck with your purchase.

Interesting, I have an M661 engine in my late 2000 C2 so it would appear that my engine was designed for a 2001 model (probably has a latter single row IMS then).
Also the decode says that it makes 220KW which = 295bhp and not the 300bhp often stated for a 3.4, unless Porsche were been conservative.

People often confuse bhp with the metric (PS) hp - usually quoting the metric figure (hp) as bhp.

At least the kW figure is consistent :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back