Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bodyshop

Galvanic dip is before any primer or paint. It is a chemical process into the metal, not a skin of rust protection as far as I know. If its Porsche-approved bodyshop and they recommend back to metal it must be fine to do it.

The local NW Porsche-approved shop (Road and Race Restorations) did this on my bonnet and bumper respray last year saying its to Porsche recommendations.

The only reason I say this is.. it was in a old 911 & porsche world article a quite a few years ago.. where they took a mint green 964 to a classic porsche restoration place and the article said they didn't recommend it due to the damage to the galvanised coating :dont know:
I guess since then they have come up with methods to combat the negatives :thumb:

Another vote for Riviera. They had mine in over the summer and did everything back to the rear wings, plus sorting a few dents and rust spots, for distinctly less than you've been quoted. I wouldn't call them cheap, but they did a top job and I certainly don't feel mugged.

cheshire911 said:
Galvanic dip is before any primer or paint. It is a chemical process into the metal, not a skin of rust protection as far as I know. If its Porsche-approved bodyshop and they recommend back to metal it must be fine to do it.

The local NW Porsche-approved shop (Road and Race Restorations) did this on my bonnet and bumper respray last year saying its to Porsche recommendations.

Nope galvanising is a thin layer of zinc deposited on the steel. The zinc serves as a sacrificial anode, it will corrode before the steel when corrosive agents are present.

It will be removed or damaged by sanding the coating off to bare metal.

It shouldn't be damaged if a chemical paint stripper is used rather than mechanical means.

If I was having a bare metal respray on a galvanised part, I'd like them to use chemical stripper, then a filler primer, sand only the primer smooth and fix imperfections here, and then top coat.

That's helpful clarification. I would assume a bare metal respray at Porsche-approved bodyshop will not remove the zinc galvanic coat as they only follow Porsche-approved processes - at least Road & Race Restorations do being the only Porsche-approved bodyshop I used for stone chip corrections after four years of driving.

I will ask at the next annual inspection for the warranty.

That's helpful clarification. I would assume a bare metal respray at Porsche-approved bodyshop will not remove the zinc galvanic coat as they only follow Porsche-approved processes - at least Road & Race Restorations do being the only Porsche-approved bodyshop I used for stone chip corrections after four years of driving.

I will ask at the next annual inspection for the warranty.

The Porsche-approved bodyshop work carries a life-long warranty subject to a free-of-charge annual inspection at ANY Porsche-approved bodyshop.

I had this years inspection 12 months after the work. They visually inspect it for defects arising from their work including a paint thickness reading on all panels they recorded the work on - I think they record the work by VIN no and take paint thickness readings before releasing the car. That way they can tell if I took it to someone else who bodged it up and i then try to claim on their warranty. The bonnet was exactly out-of-factory thickness as were rest of metal panels (he said cannot use thickness gauge on non metal such as PU bumper).

To an outsider I was impressed - I asked if he'd check all panels for me which he did and all fine. The panels were all very close readings to each other and he said its a straight legit car sir! I thought, hmmm.... Maybe a PPI should test paint thickness as well as visual inspection of all panels/welds to assess if they are original or if resprayed.

Of course people will jump on here that I used probably the most expensive repairer but to me it was a safe choice with warranties and assurance that if they didn't sort it out then I could involve Porsche GB for a resolution.

Apparently they are covered by a Porsche GB Insurance/indemnity policy that pays them if they have to do it again or do more work to agreed levels of satisfaction between themselves and the customer.

As you say, bonnet probably makes no difference for bare metal respray. But I know the work will have been carried out to the Porsche process. I asked if they could re-lacquer calipers. They said Porsche don't allow it and it would have to be supply and fit new calipers if that's what I wanted - so they stick rigidly to what Porsche will /wont allow.

That does sound like they stand by their work. Bit of a faff getting it inspected each year unless your OPC has a bodyshop.

I suppose though if you can get 2 equally good quality repaints for the price of the Porsche approved, you would - but how do you find that cheaper painter? Makes sense if you want to spend the cash and want a perfect car and piece of mind you could do the Porsche approved route. And I would probably insist on it if Insurance was paying.

-----

However my experience of paint and corrosion warranties is tainted by a 9 year old Audi TT with FSH. That had rust bubbles on the sills, bonnet and boot lid.

They refused to fix, despite the body being inspected each year in the ticklist, they said the bonnet was not covered as originated from untreated stonechip, the boot wasn't visible when walking round the car, and the sill hadn't been reported in a timely manner (they inspected it 3 months prior, the corrosion as way older than that).

So I suppose if you get a stone chip in your Porsche approved painted bonnet, - do you have to take it straight to a Porsche approved printshop to get filled?

For me it was about not taking a chance and peace of mind. A cheap(er) job done twice being more than getting it done first time correct. Of course my car already had a couple of stone chips 12 months on. That is not cause to invoke the warranty. But they inspected the paintwork for 'flattening' which he explained can happen after respraying. Couple of other things he looked for that I forget. Overall they are looking at defects in their workmanship which would invoke the warranty to correct it.

It can be taken to ANY Porsche-approved bodyshop for inspection and indeed any remedial work under warranty. It doesn't have to go back to Road & Race Restorations. I have Shorade in Cannock not far away and another Porsche-approved bodyshop in Derby. They all give a good loan car during the time a customers car is in for work. R&R also do wheel refurb through a quality sub contractor at a very good price (and yes, loan car for that also).
They also offer interior leather refurb, full valet and detailing - I had a full car body machine polish and Swissvax treatment - but they said I had to wait 6 weeks to let the paint and lacquer dry/harden.

On the inspection they suggested to let the stone chips build up and have a respray when it breaks my OCD tolerance!

In all, a good experience, friendly and helpful staff who appeared to know their trade very well. And to prove their standard, a waiting list spanning weeks/months and a bodyshop full of prestige Porsche cars far rarer and much higher value than mine that people had put their faith and trust in R&R to work on.

OPC don't have bodyshops. A few years back they streamlined their approved bodyshops networks from 30-something to 15 or so. The other approved shop in NW (Lloyds in Wythenshawe) lost the approved status but not about quality apparently, rather the additional investment Porsche was demanding. I asked them for a price and they quoted me £100 less than Porsche-approved and no lifetime warranty.

Prestige Indy bodyshops were around £200-£300 cheaper than Porsche-approved. So I went to Porsche-approved.

On Mercede Benz I had to invoke the 30 year corrosion warranty when a service showed slight bubbling on a rear wheel arch on my W211 more than 10 years into ownership. MB Mobilo warranty fixed it FOC during a week in their own bodyshop with a loan E-class.

I have never taken the E-class outside of the supplying main dealer and its now 14 yrs old with 125k miles and runs great with the main dealer looking after it at prices that it isn't worth taking it out of main dealer and losing the 30 year Mobilo breakdown and corrosion warranty. The service using Mobilo is simply stunning - a flat bed picks up the car inside an hour. Inside an hour to 90 mins simultaneously, Enterprise drops off an E-class or higher standard car for the duration of the repair at MB dealer. Pick up repaired car at MB dealer, they sort out for Enterprise to collect the car.

Everyone's experience shapes their approach. Mine with main dealers has been satisfying more often than dissatisfying.

Popped into this place early today: https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1020302970/

I'd actually gone to see the trimmer opposite/in the same industrial area about fitting a new roof, but the chap who owns Multi-Tech became involved as I need some early stage corrosion sorted, and it may as well all happen at the same time (door striker plates, boot lid lower seam).

Nice chap, full bumpers/wings/doors off, glass out job.

Seriously considering this as its very straightforward - drive in, leave for 3/4 weeks, come back and all rot gone, all paint new, new roof, body coloured seat backs, handbrake console.

I need to work out how the costs stack up, anyone know if Porsche Club GB get a discount on BAS hoods?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back